talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019/20 Sack race

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I wouldn't. The odds have gone well short and our board will give him a long time yet. 

That said, the alternatives don't look that numerous. Someone who is in a relegation fight is more likely to pull the trigger first though. Maybe a Newcastle, Brighton, Southampton.

Don't be shocked if Wolves start asking themselves the question either. They're having an even bigger mare than we are and while I think that would be crazy and harsh on Santo, you only have to look as far as Adkins, Hughton and others to see how far the "but he got us promoted" argument gets you these days.

As curious as this may sound, I'm hearing Ralph Hasenhüttl is a consideration. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Batard said:

For the Everton job 

Kinell. He's barely improved Southampton as far as I'm concerned.

If Silva's job is seriously at risk then I'm afraid I've completely lost touch with how soon is too soon. We're six games into the season and I know it's been bad looking at the teams we've played but it's still only six games. If the bad form went back into last season like with Watford and Gracia then I'd understand it more but we were good at the end of last season, for a sustained few months as well, not just the last 5 or 6 games. Yet the majority of Everton fans and pages I follow on Twitter or Facebook or reddit comments sections seem to think he has a few games to save his job and are already discussing who will replace him. 

We've completely lost it as football fans. Marco Silva's confidence level was definitely in the green. Seven games into the season, 3 wins, 3 defeats and a draw and he's on the brink? Ridiculous.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Kinell. He's barely improved Southampton as far as I'm concerned.

If Silva's job is seriously at risk then I'm afraid I've completely lost touch with how soon is too soon. We're six games into the season and I know it's been bad looking at the teams we've played but it's still only six games. If the bad form went back into last season like with Watford and Gracia then I'd understand it more but we were good at the end of last season, for a sustained few months as well, not just the last 5 or 6 games. Yet the majority of Everton fans and pages I follow on Twitter or Facebook or reddit comments sections seem to think he has a few games to save his job and are already discussing who will replace him. 

We've completely lost it as football fans. Marco Silva's confidence level was definitely in the green. Seven games into the season, 3 wins, 3 defeats and a draw and he's on the brink? Ridiculous.

I think it's all gone a bit mad in general. The gulf between the top teams and the bottom teams is so much now that say, Valverde, who has won the league the last two years at Barcelona, is under huge pressure. The fact this is the case is just going to skew any possibilty of realistic expectations because others will just follow suit. I'm not saying Valverde shouldn't be under pressure as such, but I think now with such a gulf between the top teams and the rest financially, and the expectations that follow this, you're going to get a lot of very disjointed goings on.

Silva shouldn't be under pressure yet. He's been very up and down as a manager so far but I've come to think that Everton will be this way for a while whoever they get in charge and there's no point abandoning it for the sake of it.

I'm not totally sold on your summer business to be honest.

• Subscriber

Was ready to throw Emery's name into this thread too at around 6:00pm. When I checked earlier Marco Silva is at 11/10 on Sky Bet then the next contenders are all out at 10/1. Worth throwing a few quid around on the likes of Santo, Solskjaer and maybe Hassenhuttl.

• Subscriber

Yeah I really don't get Silva being that heavy a favourite. I'd probably have him about fifth. Problem is your next two games are Man City (h) and Burnley (a), the former is almost certainly a loss, the latter is a game where you won't tolerate a loss but there's every chance you do and I could see significant turns if you did lose that.

But saying that Nuno's got to be worth a go too. I've never been that sold on Nuno to be honest. I was quite impressed by them getting 7th last year but I don't think when you're effectively given players like Neves and Jimenez that there's anything that impressive about it from a managerial point of view, especially when you had the standard Everton and Leicester shooting themselves in the foot and the rest of the league being pretty shite. It was a good season for them but nothing particularly wowed me about it. The same as them going up in the first place - it would've been abject failure if they hadn't gone up with that squad. Add to this he wasn't massively rated in Spain either, I quite like how he comes across but I'm not sold he's that great a manager.

On 20/07/2019 at 21:51, Batard said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea-frank-lampard-news-sacked-odds-latest-premier-league-epl-a8988451.html

I personally do not think any of the three of them will be the first to be sacked. I think Lampard will survive until 2020 at least. I'm going with Pellegrini at West Ham and Dean Smith at Villa. Pre-season whilst counts for little often, it can be an interesting showcase of what's to come and defensively West Ham have been utter guff. Ogbonna in particular looks a shadow of the player he was, which to be fair wasn't always that convincing anyway. Dean Smith, I just don't feel he's got the guile or tactical nous for this level of football. The squad looks average at best and whilst it should be more than able to avoid relegation, I think a club of the stature of Aston Villa (former European Cup winners lest we forget) are entitled to believe they should be punching a little higher. 

Lampard can't just turn matters around urgently there's a transfer ban so he could not bring in any top new players, older players like Willian, Pedro, Giroud, Azpliqueta are past their best, the rest are still very very young, the club has given him a mandate to integrate and play the youth. Plus Chelsea have been very unlucky in the games where points have been dropped especially against Liverpool 

• Subscriber
On 24/09/2019 at 06:36, Blueprince said:

Lampard can't just turn matters around urgently there's a transfer ban so he could not bring in any top new players, older players like Willian, Pedro, Giroud, Azpliqueta are past their best, the rest are still very very young, the club has given him a mandate to integrate and play the youth. Plus Chelsea have been very unlucky in the games where points have been dropped especially against Liverpool 

Lucky to not drop more against us though.

I could see Silva being booted, especially if form doesn't pick up. Although after a shaky start last season he did turn it around towards the end. Not sure he has shown enough though to warrant keeping if it does come to it. I do think Nuno has to be careful as well, very poor start to the season by Wolves. 

• 1 month later...

Emery will have to go if he doesn't win on Saturday, started the season awful plus finished the season in dreadful form which has continued, he fails to kill of games which are costing the team points, failed to sort out the defence, created a robotic slow pedestrian style of play to the team, no creativity in the play plus the strikers and wide players are staved of service.  

• Subscriber

You do get the feeling if Southampton v Everton produces a loser, the manager will go.

If it's a draw and Arsenal are well beaten at Leicester I think Emery goes. Could also see them going for Rodgers - two birds wth one stone, sort yourselves out and fuck us over. Perfect timing too really with an international break and few games before January.

I expect a manager to probably go within the next week.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

You do get the feeling if Southampton v Everton produces a loser, the manager will go.

If it's a draw and Arsenal are well beaten at Leicester I think Emery goes. Could also see them going for Rodgers - two birds wth one stone, sort yourselves out and fuck us over. Perfect timing too really with an international break and few games before January.

I expect a manager to probably go within the next week.

Do you think he'd leave you mid-season when you're doing so well?

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Do you think he'd leave you mid-season when you're doing so well?

I think not to be honest. Could be just the fan in me here but he's got it so good here and it could get better yet. I do think he'll eventually move onto a bigger club but he'd be taking a big risk going to Arsenal - you're some way off challenging for anything and what's to say he couldn't get an even bigger job in a year or two if he was a success here?

I forget how young Rodgers is. He's got another 25 years in the game. There's no major rush. He rates himself extremely highly. I bet he thinks he can manage Barcelona one day.

You are a bigger club than us, always have been and probably always will be, but if there was ever a time to turn Arsenal down to stay at Leicester then this was it.

I get he left Celtic but reading between the lines I don't think he felt well backed there. He'd achieved all he could, didn't feel backed and had the offer of a steady Premier League club - one wth genuine ambition to better ourselves.

You have it good at Leicester nowadays. This is one of the most exciting young sides about. He's the perfect fit for them. Would be a huge shame for him to leave that.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived