talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019/20 Sack race

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Dan said:

I think not to be honest. Could be just the fan in me here but he's got it so good here and it could get better yet. I do think he'll eventually move onto a bigger club but he'd be taking a big risk going to Arsenal - you're some way off challenging for anything and what's to say he couldn't get an even bigger job in a year or two if he was a success here?

I forget how young Rodgers is. He's got another 25 years in the game. There's no major rush. He rates himself extremely highly. I bet he thinks he can manage Barcelona one day.

You are a bigger club than us, always have been and probably always will be, but if there was ever a time to turn Arsenal down to stay at Leicester then this was it.

I get he left Celtic but reading between the lines I don't think he felt well backed there. He'd achieved all he could, didn't feel backed and had the offer of a steady Premier League club - one wth genuine ambition to better ourselves.

You have it good at Leicester nowadays. This is one of the most exciting young sides about. He's the perfect fit for them. Would be a huge shame for him to leave that.

Yeah I agree with you, he shouldn't leave you for us at this stage. Your original post made it seem like you were worried it would happen, and that surprised me.

The only thing Rodgers will be attracted to is the potential and prestige of Arsenal. He would want massive assurances though. 

I'd stay at Leicester though for the time being if I were him. At this moment in time they have a better squad. 

On 20/07/2019 at 21:51, Batard said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea-frank-lampard-news-sacked-odds-latest-premier-league-epl-a8988451.html

I personally do not think any of the three of them will be the first to be sacked. I think Lampard will survive until 2020 at least. I'm going with Pellegrini at West Ham and Dean Smith at Villa. Pre-season whilst counts for little often, it can be an interesting showcase of what's to come and defensively West Ham have been utter guff. Ogbonna in particular looks a shadow of the player he was, which to be fair wasn't always that convincing anyway. Dean Smith, I just don't feel he's got the guile or tactical nous for this level of football. The squad looks average at best and whilst it should be more than able to avoid relegation, I think a club of the stature of Aston Villa (former European Cup winners lest we forget) are entitled to believe they should be punching a little higher. 

Things pretty much changed since i doubt any of these will be sacked soon.

• Subscriber
On 07/11/2019 at 08:22, RandoEFC said:

Silva can still consider himself extremely hard done by if he gets the boot as far as I'm concerned. Could/should be on four consecutive wins now if not for VAR.

O.o

VAR is the only thing that rescued you a point last week. 

1-0 down before the red and you just didn't look like scoring until after we went down to 10. 

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Storts said:

O.o

VAR is the only thing that rescued you a point last week. 

1-0 down before the red and you just didn't look like scoring until after we went down to 10. 

Alli handball and Sanchez challenge on Richarlison. Neither should be penalties in my personal opinion but we both know they get given to other teams on a regular basis and both were more of a penalty than Michael Keane on that Brighton forward last week so there's a lot of ill feeling amongst our fanbase.

Should have included the word 'arguably' in my post to be fair.

Sacking Silva would still be madness for me now though. It's not like there's no chance he'll come good so we shouldn't sack him mid-season unless relegation is seriously on the cards. And there's nobody available. If we get to the end of the season and there's no improvement on what we've seen in the past few weeks then we can look at alternatives in my opinion.

I think he's been unlucky in a lot of things though. We lost Zouma and didn't replace him. We lost Gueye and his replacement Gbamin picked up a long-term injury. Neither of those things are on Marco Silva. Nor is Keane's loss of form or Sigurdsson's lack of productivity or Gomes' broken ankle. He's made plenty of mistakes too but he's also suffering heavily from the fact that he's managing a cursed football club.

29 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Alli handball and Sanchez challenge on Richarlison. Neither should be penalties in my personal opinion but we both know they get given to other teams on a regular basis and both were more of a penalty than Michael Keane on that Brighton forward last week so there's a lot of ill feeling amongst our fanbase.

Should have included the word 'arguably' in my post to be fair.

Sacking Silva would still be madness for me now though. It's not like there's no chance he'll come good so we shouldn't sack him mid-season unless relegation is seriously on the cards. And there's nobody available. If we get to the end of the season and there's no improvement on what we've seen in the past few weeks then we can look at alternatives in my opinion.

I think he's been unlucky in a lot of things though. We lost Zouma and didn't replace him. We lost Gueye and his replacement Gbamin picked up a long-term injury. Neither of those things are on Marco Silva. Nor is Keane's loss of form or Sigurdsson's lack of productivity or Gomes' broken ankle. He's made plenty of mistakes too but he's also suffering heavily from the fact that he's managing a cursed football club.

To be fair mate, his away record since day one has been appalling. It would have to improve drastically for you lot to start challenging the top clubs. You cant just blame injuries for that kind of record.

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

To be fair mate, his away record since day one has been appalling. It would have to improve drastically for you lot to start challenging the top clubs. You cant just blame injuries for that kind of record.

I don't disagree but you've got to put it into context. If our away record had been any better in the past 5 years then clearly he's the problem, but it has been shite under several different managers now and an underlying problem like that takes time to sort out. It's been clear under the last few managers that there are serious mentality issues running through this squad. Not since Martinez' first season have we had a fearless team that I'd fancy away from home as much as at Goodison.

To his credit, we did get more away wins last season than we have since the aforementioned 5th place season under Martinez. It still isn't good enough and we need to see more improvement but it's not like this is a rot he's brought to the club himself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.ad641523aeafaa69926daed7616b1479.png

_102263012_football_gossip_header.png

Managers under pressure - who could go where?

Everton boss Marco Silva's Goodison Park fate has been sealed, with David Moyes set to return as manager. (Mirror)

Chris Hughton and Rafael Benitez are candidates to take over at West Ham United - who are without a win in seven games - if manager Manuel Pellegrini is sacked. (Guardian)

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder is also in the frame to be the next Hammers boss after guiding the newly-promoted side to sixth in the Premier League. (Mirror)

Another Premier League manager under pressure is Arsenal's Unai Emery, with former Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri and Manchester City assistant coach Mikel Arteta both touted as a potential replacement. (Mail)

Napoli manager Carlo Ancelotti had been in the frame to take over from Mauricio Pochettino at Tottenham Hotspur, but was "too expensive" and Spurs opted for Jose Mourinho instead. (Mail)

Managers under pressure - all the latest

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.e7b2b74f368552703b9af3de083947cb.png

Premier League: Marcos Silva, Unai Emery and Manuel Pellegrini under pressure

_109889166_manager.jpg

Everton manager Marco Silva, Arsenal's Unai Emery and West Ham's Manuel Pellegrini are all under pressure following recent results

Under-pressure Everton manager Marco Silva needs to be "put out of his misery", says former England striker Chris Sutton.

Ex-Hull City and Watford boss Silva is fighting to save his job after his side fell to a 2-0 home defeat by struggling Norwich City on Saturday.

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live, Sutton said: "Under Silva, Everton are in a race to the bottom, not the top."

He added: "There has been no improvement under him."

Silva is not the only manager in potential danger, with Arsenal's Unai Emery and West Ham's Manuel Pellegrini also coming under increasing scrutiny. The trio are currently the top three favourites for the sack among bookmakers.

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.67f8661e68fed8cd0ea79dabcc8e8caf.png

Marco Silva: Everton boss looks set to remain in charge of the trip to Leicester

Everton manager Marco Silva took training as normal on Tuesday and now looks set to be in charge for Sunday's Premier League visit to Leicester City.

Silva is fighting for his job after Everton's key boardroom personnel held a meeting immediately after the 2-0 home defeat by Norwich City on Saturday to discuss his future.

Majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri, director of football Marcel Brands and chairman Bill Kenwright held talks and further discussions were staged over the weekend.

It looks certain Silva's reign at Goodison Park is coming to a close but Everton's board may be holding fire as there are no obvious immediate successors to Silva.

The suggestion of a return for former manager David Moyes has been met with a negative reaction from fans, which has also been factored into their thinking.

Everton are 16th in the table and, after the trip to second-placed Leicester, face successive league games against Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal.

If Silva survives, a Merseyside derby against leaders Liverpool at Anfield on 4 December at least offers him the opportunity to pull off a shock result that might earn him a further stay of execution.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50562989

• 1 month later...
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived