talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Is It Wrong To Listen to R Kelly?

football forum

• Subscriber

My favorite music has always been 1990s R&B music. Am making a playlist on Youtube and for my Ipod. Given the accusations I really don't want to add any of his songs, even so they are good.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

It's your personal decision and a question of your personal set of principles and morals. Can you separate the art from the artist? Some can, some can't. I personally can still appreciate the artwork even knowing that the artist was someone who committed heinous acts, but I won't support them by giving them my money (or will at least try to avoid it).

People are flawed. Many of the historical characters that we now hail as extraordinary writers, musicians, composers, painters, etc. were polarising figures at best and complete scumbags at worst. 

• The title was changed to Is It Wrong To Listen to R Kelly?
  • Administrator

I'd say so, yes.

I felt the same when the stuff about Ian Watkins (lead singer of Lostprophets) came out. What he did was just fucking sick and disgusting. I felt like I couldn't listen to them at all any more even though they'd played such a huge part of my adolescence as it was the kind of music I loved at the time and still do. But since what he did was publicised, I've not listened to a second of their songs at all. It's kind of unfair and bad on the rest of the band who were totally innocent, but just can't bring myself round to listening and consequently enjoying what I'm listening to.

Having said that, I feel conflicted because I still love MJ's songs. Maybe it's to do with the above (& R-Kelly) being found guilty and MJ not so? It was all allegations about MJ but in the end he was never found guilty if I remember correctly?

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I'd say so, yes.

I felt the same when the stuff about Ian Watkins (lead singer of Lostprophets) came out. What he did was just fucking sick and disgusting. I felt like I couldn't listen to them at all any more even though they'd played such a huge part of my adolescence as it was the kind of music I loved at the time and still do. But since what he did was publicised, I've not listened to a second of their songs at all. It's kind of unfair and bad on the rest of the band who were totally innocent, but just can't bring myself round to listening and consequently enjoying what I'm listening to.

Having said that, I feel conflicted because I still love MJ's songs. Maybe it's to do with the above (& R-Kelly) being found guilty and MJ not so? It was all allegations about MJ but in the end he was never found guilty if I remember correctly?

New evidence has come to light. Rubber rubber

• Subscriber

We have this debate at work a lot. We don't play him on air at all nor does MJ get played on the sister station either. Personally, I can appreciate the art of the music and seperate from the values and morals and stuff the artist/band has done. I'd never give money to them by buying music however (I know they get certain royalties from streaming etc).

I still listen to Pantera, even though their singer is a white supremacist :what: 

...makes me feel a bit weird though when I think about it though but I think this post covers it

On 21/07/2019 at 07:06, nudge said:

It's your personal decision and a question of your personal set of principles and morals. Can you separate the art from the artist? Some can, some can't. I personally can still appreciate the artwork even knowing that the artist was someone who committed heinous acts, but I won't support them by giving them my money (or will at least try to avoid it).

People are flawed. Many of the historical characters that we now hail as extraordinary writers, musicians, composers, painters, etc. were polarising figures at best and complete scumbags at worst. 

John Lennon was a wife batterer, after all, but if you told me I couldn’t listen to the Beatles because of that, I’d tell you to go fuck yourself and then listen to the Beatles

• Subscriber

If you start looking at all popular musicians they've got some closet demons that you'd probably look at and say WTF to. Does that taint the music and its message? Depends on the individual and more importantly the music. I can find time to separate the person from the music so I'll give it a listen and if I like it then I'll just listen to it more. To each their own and if you feel that listening to their music encourages or fuels their lifestyle and you don't want a part of it that's totally up to you.

• 1 month later...
On 21/07/2019 at 18:06, Teso dos Bichos said:

Idk about R Kelly but I dont have a problem listening to the greatest singer of all time, MJ. He was a piece of shit as a human but his voice was a gift sent from heaven. 

Please tell me you don't believe that 'documentary'

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Perfect time to post this masterpiece again.

Ha - I'm shocked you just quoted The Boondocks. 😂 I used to watch that in College. 

Meanwhile, I was thinking this video was the one that would be posted. 

On 28/09/2021 at 07:46, Eco said:

Ha - I'm shocked you just quoted The Boondocks. 😂 I used to watch that in College. 

Meanwhile, I was thinking this video was the one that would be posted. 

16 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

giphy.gif

Will he be making money off people streaming his shit? Or is he going to have to pay restitution to the victims?

Because if it ends up going straight to him... that's not great. I think he's likely to spend the rest of his life in prison - so ultimately the money might not do him some good. But I think prisoners can still buy shit, so it's probably best if his life in prison is as uncomfortable as possible.

If his money ends up getting taken from him and going to the victims... then who cares if anyone listens to R Kelly? Like I said before, I think it's possible to sometimes separate an artist's personality from their music. Again, the Beatles' say "All you need is love" not "All you need is love, unless you're my wife and you piss me off... in which case you need a beating."

But I mean... I think it'd be hard for anyone to enjoy a song that says "I don't see nothing wrong with a little bump and grind" when they've been convicted for crimes related to their bumping and grinding.

For me the decision is easy: I'll continue not listening to R Kelly... because I generally don't listen to his music unless I happen to be somewhere where R Kelly's music is playing - and that's more to me having ears and being able to hear things rather than me wanting to listen to him.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Will he be making money off people streaming his shit? Or is he going to have to pay restitution to the victims?

Because if it ends up going straight to him... that's not great. I think he's likely to spend the rest of his life in prison - so ultimately the money might not do him some good. But I think prisoners can still buy shit, so it's probably best if his life in prison is as uncomfortable as possible.

If his money ends up getting taken from him and going to the victims... then who cares if anyone listens to R Kelly? Like I said before, I think it's possible to sometimes separate an artist's personality from their music. Again, the Beatles' say "All you need is love" not "All you need is love, unless you're my wife and you piss me off... in which case you need a beating."

But I mean... I think it'd be hard for anyone to enjoy a song that says "I don't see nothing wrong with a little bump and grind" when they've been convicted for crimes related to their bumping and grinding.

For me the decision is easy: I'll continue not listening to R Kelly... because I generally don't listen to his music unless I happen to be somewhere where R Kelly's music is playing - and that's more to me having ears and being able to hear things rather than me wanting to listen to him.

I believe there is a law for this. Money goes straight to the state. 

Archived