talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Deportivo La Coruña Discussion

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As some of you may know, this weekend we have the great galician derby vs Celta. After some great performances by Deportivo this will probably be the most even derby in a while.

Here are some results from both clubs:

0ORSpoo.png

Celta are currently holding the 11th place in the league with 35 points and a pretty bad streak in the last 5 games while Deportivo are on the 15th position with 27 points and some decent results after Pepe Mel arrived to La Coruña.

In this particular case, Deportivo are in the need of points in order to increase the gap from the relegation spots. On the other hand, Celta could have some chances to approach Europa League positions and maybe fight for the 7th place but I think this is unlikely to happen.

Who do you consider the favourite for this game ?

Pepe Mel has completely changed the players' mentality and I can see him keeping you up now.

Good luck against Celta and great to see you have found this forum mate.

It will be a close game. Celta have more quality on paper but their recent form has been quite patchy while Deportivo have started to find a little something under Pepe Mel. Hard one to call, but I'd maybe sway the way of Deportivo simply due to the game being held at the Raizor.

Deportivo La Coruna. An interesting team. Much respect.

A very good result for the club in light of Barcelona's thrashing of PSG only days prior. You're on a good run of form and it would seem Celta aren't. They did lose to two of the biggest sides in La Liga but the draws to Espanyol and Gijon suggest you could edge it.

All considered I'd say a 1-0 win for Coruna would be feasible.

I can't push myself to want Deportivo to beat Celta unfortunately xD

But Pepe Mel does seem to have brought equilibrium to the play and he was one of the coaches I was calling to head Depor a long time ago as Djalminha knows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

1504203083744.jpg

Lucas Pérez returns to Deportivo La Coruña

Lucas Pérez returns home to the only club he wanted to play for this season, Deportivo La Coruña.  He had various offers in the Premier League, France and Spain, but he ignored each and every one of them in the attempt to return home.

Deportivo offered Arsenal €9m but the London club completely ignored that offer saying it didn't even come close.  That's all Deportivo can presently afford, so the only other option was a loan deal.  Obviously Arsenal would've preferred to have sold the player properly, but every club that enquired about Lucas Pérez, every club it was that Lucas Pérez turned down.  It was either Depor or stay at Arsenal which he has been quoted as saying "it's a hell hole".

So Lucas Pérez returns to Deportivo La Coruña on loan for one season with no option to buy.

Adrián's return will be interesting because of all the places where he's been, Deportivo was his best football by a long margin....  Everything else has been spits and spurts.

Decent signings to be honest but for some reason Deportivo seem to be stuck in this strange time-warp or black-hole.  They've survived a few seasons now, been down once and came straight back up and their signings with the general outlook seems to remain the same.  Where other smaller clubs seem to be doing much more adventurous business without going over the top, Depor just remain the bankrupt Depor.

Look at Deportivo's main rivals Celta Vigo.  Everything they seem to be searching for is much more adventurous.

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, Spike said:

RIP Super Depor

That died a long time ago with bad administration by the man who’s knowledge and influence helped acquire all that was needed, the past president César Augusto Lendoiro.  But he also ended up being their doom!

Even though they’ve (Deportivo) managed to continue to be a part player in La Liga (Spain’s top football division) and not end up in the mess that for example historical clubs like Racing Santander or Real Oviedo found themselves in by even being relegated season by season all the way to the regional divisions (Real Oviedo are currently on a revival thanks to the Mexican magnate Carlos Slim and ex players), they turned into a yo-yo club and I am also seeing all the necessary ingredients to be a club that stays in La Liga 1|2|3 for a while if they’re relegated this season.  Nothing is being done correctly if you compare standards and achievements of clubs much smaller than Deportivo La Coruña both in La Liga and in La Liga 1|2|3.

That Súper Depor is now firmly set in stone where history is concerned.

7 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Strange move for Seedorf, he should start at ground level with a club in Holland and built his way up like Rijkaard did.

If Seedorf understands the situation at Depor and isn’t searching for a kick to fame, this could actually turn out to be his personal Elysium.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

If Seedorf understands the situation at Depor and isn’t searching for a kick to fame, this could actually turn out to be his personal Elysium.

Well he understands Spanish Football but I still think he is a novice coach, just be better if he did coach in The Netherlands for a bit as he will get more time. 

• 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

How is Seedorf getting on?

He's doing an excellent job and getting plaudits left right and centre from all sectors of the Spanish sports press. There's even been talk of him being a future Barcelona coach (even with his Real Madrid past) due to not only getting results in extremely difficult circumstances and with the club in total disarray. But because he's also getting those results based on the well known Dutch ideal in Spain.

I doubt he'll save Depor because he arrived too late and with the team so depressed that it looked like they wouldn't win another game during the season. But he's definitely shown his potential as a coach and then you can add to this his humble character in press conferences (vital in Spain) which has enamoured him to the football public over there.

The question is if he'll stay And try and get Depor back up if the obvious occurs which is relegation. In my opinion that would be the best thing he could do instead of accepting a much bigger job which will surely be inevitable after what he's achieving with Deportivo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

How good is Florin Andone? Seen a few tout him as a potential summer move and he's available for only £5mil. It strikes me as being a bargain.

8 hours ago, Spike said:

I´m actually learning a lot about Galicia right now via Preston´s biography of Franco. Very interesting region of the world.

I've tried to find good books on the history of Galicia for you in the past but there aren't any real in depth quality ones in English. You have them even in Japanese but not English.  There are some great travel books in English but that's not what I've been searching for for you. It's a mysterious corner of Europe, one that's fascinating.

Archived