talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Wilson - Loan to Bournemouth Confirmed

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Batard said:

Good player, makes no sense to let him go permanently. 

He's 22 and I don't think he's going to get much game time with us considering how good our other wingers are. It's probably better for the player if he gets to where he can play regular first team football, and I wouldn't be surprised if we put either a buy back clause or first refusal clause if we sell him.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's 22 and I don't think he's going to get much game time with us considering how good our other wingers are. It's probably better for the player if he gets to where he can play regular first team football, and I wouldn't be surprised if we put either a buy back clause or first refusal clause if we sell him.

I think he'll do well at Premier League level, he's got plenty of guile about him. 

19 minutes ago, Batard said:

I think he'll do well at Premier League level, he's got plenty of guile about him. 

I think you're right. If he'd been coming through the ranks a few years ago he'd probably have broken through and . But as a young winger who I think needs match time to really develop further, trying to break into the side when there's arguably 3-4 players ahead of you, but definitely 2 players ahead of him... and they're 2 of the best wingers in the league, it's not the greatest situation for a player to be developing his skills on the pitch.

Especially as we're reported to be in the market for just one player... a player who can play on both wings. I suspect that's another more developed player than Wilson who'll be brought in that'll push him further down the pecking order.

I can understand the argument for wanting to keep him, I think he'll be a good player in our league. But at the same time, this might be the right time to sell a player that's got a tough road into our first team ahead of him... on the heels of a successful loan spell in the championship and off the back of some good pre-season performances. Couple that with how Edwards manages to get a decent fee for our young players that look like they've got the ability to play first team football in the prem and for us and for the player it seems to make more sense to let him go where he'll get to play football more.

For his sake, out of the two clubs listed, I'd prefer he doesn't go to the side that most fans in England think is going to be a disgraceful shitshow for the season.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Batard said:

Good player, makes no sense to let him go permanently. 

I'd understand that if he was 19. At 22 and with hardly any first team experience I think it's safe to say he's surplus to requirements.

I think it for youngsters at us - if they've not got near our first team by 21 then the chances are they're probably not going to make it here. You get the odd exception but this will be right more than wrong.

Definitely don't want him to go. If we aren't buying players for those positions then it makes fucking no sense to let such a quality player leave. Klopp can't promise him a starting spot, but he can definitely promise him plenty of minutes to try and establish himself in the team. It's a big ask, but what's the point of being a footballer if you're not up for the challenge. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Batard - seems Klopp agrees with you and doesn't want him to go. Maddock is one of the most trusted LFC journos, he's got one hell of a track record with us. Here's his take:

Maddock's the guy who reported Danny Ward was going to be given a chance to be no.1 last summer

Loves a red herring that guy, and this smells like exactly the same thing. "We want to keep him, but won't - I repeat WON'T - stand in his way if he wants to leave. £25m and he's yours. Don't want to sell him though, so it will be the full £25m please"

Just now, Burning Gold said:

Maddock's the guy who reported Danny Ward was going to be given a chance to be no.1 last summer

Loves a red herring that guy, and this smells like exactly the same thing. "We want to keep him, but won't - I repeat WON'T - stand in his way if he wants to leave. £25m and he's yours. Don't want to sell him though"

Yeah he's not got a 100% track record with us, but I don't think any journo does except maybe Melissa Reddy. And it very well could be that this piece is coming out at the request of the club to get the suitors to spend more money, which is basically what happened with Danny Ward.

I would like him to stay and be used as backup for Mane and Salah, with no sign of any new players coming in it would be a shame to let him go without giving him a real chance to prove himself here. He showed his class at Derby last season so he must be pretty pissed off if we're looking to get rid of him.

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Sorry, but if we flog Wilson and don't bring anybody in then Klopp and co. look suspect. 

I've not seen enough of him to know what kind of player he is. Yeah, his highlight reel looks great but there will be a good reason for letting him go if that is what happens. 

Klopp doesn't usually loan out young players that he rates, so it's pretty telling that Klopp doesn't really rate Wilson. 

Klopp's use of him this pre season was probably more to do with highlighting him for a sale. 

Wilson will make a decent player whilst scoring the odd worldie or two, but hes not good enough to be either starting or being a back up for our team. 

I agree that we could probably do with signing a wide attacking player but it's not happening because Klopp has total faith in Brewster, Shaq and Origi being good enough to back up Firmino, Salah and Mane. 

Losing Wislon though is no big licks to be perfectly honest. 

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I've not seen enough of him to know what kind of player he is. Yeah, his highlight reel looks great but there will be a good reason for letting him go if that is what happens. 

I think I'm more concerned with us thinning out already thin attacking options rather than Wilson being un-sellable (if that's even a word haha).

30 minutes ago, Rick said:

I think I'm more concerned with us thinning out already thin attacking options rather than Wilson being un-sellable (if that's even a word haha).

I'm not sure that our options are as bad as they're being made out to be. Wilson would be behind Shaqiri and Chamberlain as back up on the right and he wouldn't get a game in the centre. Can he play on the left? Don't think I've heard that he can.

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not sure that our options are as bad as they're being made out to be. Wilson would be behind Shaqiri and Chamberlain as back up on the right and he wouldn't get a game in the centre. Can he play on the left? Don't think I've heard that he can.

My point is that we still have Shaq and Origi as our attacking options off the bench. We haven't strengthened; those around have and are going to continue by the close of the window. 

Don't get me wrong either. I love this team and these players. The first 11 is as good as anybody is putting out, it's when you look past that when things start to get a little ropey in players. I don't like standing still, you can barely afford to do it these days. Spurs got lucky, they did well through a knockout competition but didnt compete in the league as expected. 

I don't want this team to get burnt out with even more games this year. If we lose one of those front three to injury, it's a big issue. You can't deny that.

12 hours ago, UNORTHODOX said:

I would like him to stay and be used as backup for Mane and Salah, with no sign of any new players coming in it would be a shame to let him go without giving him a real chance to prove himself here. He showed his class at Derby last season so he must be pretty pissed off if we're looking to get rid of him.

At Championship level, it's a whole world away from the level Liverpool compete at.

22 minutes ago, Rick said:

My point is that we still have Shaq and Origi as our attacking options off the bench. We haven't strengthened; those around have and are going to continue by the close of the window. 

Don't get me wrong either. I love this team and these players. The first 11 is as good as anybody is putting out, it's when you look past that when things start to get a little ropey in players. I don't like standing still, you can barely afford to do it these days. Spurs got lucky, they did well through a knockout competition but didnt compete in the league as expected. 

I don't want this team to get burnt out with even more games this year. If we lose one of those front three to injury, it's a big issue. You can't deny that.

I would definitely like another attacker, I've said it elsewhere.

I don't necessarily think we're much weaker than last season though because you have players coming back from injury or youngsters coming in. It's not a perfect situation but I can see the argument for not wanting to block the pathway for youngsters like Brewster too.

Harry Wilson though, he'll be nowhere near the squad most weeks if he stays

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I would definitely like another attacker, I've said it elsewhere.

I don't necessarily think we're much weaker than last season though because you have players coming back from injury or youngsters coming in. It's not a perfect situation but I can see the argument for not wanting to block the pathway for youngsters like Brewster too.

Harry Wilson though, he'll be nowhere near the squad most weeks if he stays

Definitely not interested in bringing in an out and out striker, as I think Brewster looks pretty class. Agree with a versatile attacker who can cover Mane and Salah.

Think I'll shut up now about it, since it's not going to happen. Klopp has more than earned my trust so I'll just keep my faith in him seeing something we aren't yet. Hopefully it doesn't blow up in his and our faces. 

Chamberlain coming back is a boost, and hopefully Keira gets a full season under his belt where he isn't injured, cause there's a great player there.

I have a feeling that despite that good goal against Lyon, that Harvey Elliot will probably see more time on the pitch than Wilson - despite Elliot being just 16. He has that same kind of swagger that Sterling had, where it just looks like he knows he'll break into the first team if he works hard. So hopefully he works hard.

Having said that, I'm on the fence as to whether we keep Wilson or not. I think every Liverpool fan would like more depth out on the wings for us - keeping Wilson certainly gives us a bit of depth. But will he get in the side ahead of Shaqiri? I'm not so sure.

• The title was changed to Harry Wilson - Loan to Bournemouth Confirmed

Archived