talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round 12 - Hungary

football forum

Not quite as exciting as last week, but what a fantastic week this was. Really a Max for Lewis showdown, which is what we all will hopefully be getting as they seem to be the two most talented and consistent drivers in F1. I personally thought Mercedes were crazy for doing the 3rd pit stop, but man was I wrong. Mercedes might have a superior car, but one thing for certain is that Toto Wolff is straight up genius. 

What a great race, and now we have a break. :thumbdown:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Brilliant battle in front thanks to Max and Lewis who both outperformed their cars today. Great strategy call by Mercedes and incredible racecraft by Lewis! Red Bull can and Max can still be proud; great drive by him matching Mercedes and leading the race for over 60 laps while Ferrari were a minute behind them; that's just pathetic. 

Albon in the points despite a bad pitstop. Not sure what happened to Kvyat? 

Russel finishing ahead of Stroll and Giovinazzi; happy for him and he's truly wasted at Williams. Since Mercedes aren't considering him for next year I hope he will get another seat somewhere.

Kimi P7; I'm sad to say that but he's wasted at Sauber.

Brilliant by Sainz; the best of the rest again and McLaren looked comfortable today.

Not a great race by any means overall but the battle for P1 saved it... Looking forward to Spa already!

Just now, MUFC said:

Ferrari being this far back isn't a good thing in my opinion. Especially on tracks they were strong on in the previous 2 seasons.

Ferrari haven't had a clean race all year. With poor decisions in pits, to poor performances on the track, they just haven't looked smooth all year, and I think it's even made Max look all the better. RB going to Honda seems to have been a really good choice. 

• Subscriber

Ferrari should look much better in the next two races with Spa and Monza being power tracks; Red Bull should struggle to compete with them there but then it's perfect timing for Honda to bring the new Spec 4 engine and take grid penalties there before going to Singapore where they should have a decent chance of challenging for the win again. Will be interesting to see what updates everyone will come up with during this almost 4 week break.

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Honestly dont know who's call is it, but really was a great call.

The chief strategist. I don't think Toto has any impact on their strategies. 

• Subscriber

Toto is basically the guy whose neck is on the line if he chooses the wrong person to do that job. It does vary from team to team what the exact role of the team principal is. For example, Ross Brawn used to be very involved in strategic decisions as a team principal, but it is a combination of the data analysts back at base, the guys at the track, and the conversations between the race engineer and driver. Also the driver's influence depends on the driver as well.

Every team would have the data, how long the pit stop would take, what the pace differential would be for the last 20 laps, when he would catch up. Operationally, though, Mercedes are a cut above the rest as they leave no stone unturned in different things they can try with their strategy. Other teams wouldn't have thought of it as quickly, as it's such a rare circumstance to have such a big gap between P2 and P3 to be able to take a free stop. 

Ferrari's strategy team would think that getting their guy within a few seconds of the lead with a faster car than the leader with 30 laps to go was job done, over to you to get the pass done on the track, and Max probably would have been able to make sure he didn't make a mistake and it would have been enough to hold onto the win.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Toto said the it was the idea of James Vowles and Rosie Wait.

Brilliant call. When he went into the pits, I thought "what the hell?", and then it showed "strike distance in 6 laps or something like that" and 2 laps later he was already behind Max. Awesome drive from Lewis as well of course. He was lightning quick while managing tyres and brakes at the same time. 

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Brilliant call. When he went into the pits, I thought "what the hell?", and then it showed "strike distance in 6 laps or something like that" and 2 laps later he was already behind Max. Awesome drive from Lewis as well of course. He was lightning quick while managing tyres and brakes at the same time. 

It was frightening how quickly he was catching up to Max before and after the pit stop. 

Sometimes knocking off 2-3 seconds each lap. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

It was frightening how quickly he was catching up to Max before and after the pit stop. 

Sometimes knocking off 2-3 seconds each lap. 

Yea, and he was always on the radio with Bono. And when Lewis asked about the brakes and Bono replied "You have some margin", I knew Max was fucked xD But yea, awesome drive. But off the cameras, and not too much noticed, Seb did the same to Leclerc. Caught up 20 seconds in 20 laps I believe? 

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yea, and he was always on the radio with Bono. And when Lewis asked about the brakes and Bono replied "You have some margin", I knew Max was fucked xD But yea, awesome drive. But off the cameras, and not too much noticed, Seb did the same to Leclerc. Caught up 20 seconds in 20 laps I believe? 

Not checked the times but I do remember, if I'm not mistaken, that Seb was about 19s off Leclerc around the same time that Lewis was chasing Max down before the pit stop. So sounds about right if it was 20 laps. 

To be honest I was more fixated on the Max/Lewis battle as opposed to anything else on the grid xD

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Not checked the times but I do remember, if I'm not mistaken, that Seb was about 19s off Leclerc around the same time that Lewis was chasing Max down before the pit stop. So sounds about right if it was 20 laps. 

To be honest I was more fixated on the Max/Lewis battle as opposed to anything else on the grid xD

Everyone was. I was cheering for Max, but it was inevitable in the end, and credit where credits due. Mercedes showed today, as a team, that they are miles ahead of anyone else at the moment. 

• Subscriber

Leclerc's tyre management was pretty poor. I know Ferrari have issues with tyre conservation in general but Seb did a much better job with it today; was glad to see him overtake Charles and get the podium.

• Subscriber

The medium tyre was already supposed to be about 0.5s faster than the hard if they were both fresh, and Max had tyres on that were 20 laps older.

For the Ferrari battle, the soft should have been over a second faster than the hard tyre, and again Leclerc had already put in 10-12 more laps on his hards than Vettel giving him an even greater disadvantage.

I'm not taking anything away from Lewis or Seb but the rate at which they caught up those guys is hardly surprising in the circumstances.

In terms of raw getting to the end of the race in the fastest possible time, you usually see a two stop strategy from teams and very rarely see any of the top guys use the hard tyre in the race. In Monaco or Hungary they usually try to get away with a one stop strategy because making an extra stop and driving in traffic for so long costs you more time than you gain by having faster rubber on your car for more of the race. What flipped the strategy on its head today though was the huge gaps between 2nd and 3rd, and between 4th and 5th.

The strategy Ferrari used with Vettel was clearly the fastest approach to the race, one stop with no use of the hard tyre. Vettel made it work well, but I cant help but feel that the team sort of stumbled into that strategy when their real motivation was to split the strategies in case a safety car or something shook things up. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The strategy Ferrari used with Vettel was clearly the fastest approach to the race, one stop with no use of the hard tyre. Vettel made it work well, but I cant help but feel that the team sort of stumbled into that strategy when their real motivation was to split the strategies in case a safety car or something shook things up. 

Not sure about that; Leclerc admitted he was struggling with tyres and that's why Ferrari actually changed the strategy and pitted him earlier than Vettel. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived