talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Transfer Deadline - What Do You Still Need?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

We have made a profit so far surprisingly, selling Lookman, Vlasic, Robinson and Gueye for a total of almost £70m, and signing Gomes (£22m), Delph (£9m) and Lossl (free) with Kean due to complete tomorrow for £29m initially.

We still need a right back to compete with or cover for Coleman. Not been many rumours here so possibly a loan will be done. 

We still need a centre back as we currently only have 3. Again it's gone quiet here since Zouma appeared to be ruled out, we were linked with Llorente from Sociedad weeks ago but nothing since.

We need to replace Gueye. Some sources claim that we are already in talks with Mainz over signing Gbamin for around £30m.

We need another winger. With the Zaha deal dead, murmurs seem to be flipping back towards Malcom but nothing concrete.

• Administrator

Would prefer another winger. Gray doesn't cut it enough for me - too inconsistent. Barnes is still a youngster and Albrighton is reliable.

Transfer business has been pretty decent by all accounts so far. Perez signed as a forward/winger & Justin as back-up to Pereira. The best bit of business signing-wise is Tielemans. Alternatively keeping players like Pereira, Vardy, Chilwell, Maddison is just as important.

If Maguire guys, getting a CB wouldn't be a priority. We can invest elsewhere in the squad.

• Subscriber

A Defensive Midfielder like Roy Keane, a lot of people said he was more of a central Midfielder but not for me, he held and commanded that position under Fergies reign, when he was young he was more a box to box player but as he got older he became more defensive.

33 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

A Defensive Midfielder like Roy Keane, a lot of people said he was more of a central Midfielder but not for me, he held and commanded that position under Fergies reign, when he was young he was more a box to box player but as he got older he became more defensive.

Keane's a bit old now. Might only play about 20 games a season :ph34r:

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Keane's a bit old now. Might only play about 20 games a season :ph34r:

I bet if he did play even at his age he would kick a few arses and scare the shite of the likes of Poga. :D

• Subscriber

How's it gone so far?

For me, well, we've not lost anybody and yet we held onto an absolute gem in Tielemans, albeit for a very hefty fee. We've signed James Justin from Luton who I think early indicators show could be another clever bit of investment, and in Ayoze Perez we've added an interesting attacking option who I think could take his career up a gear with his move here.

What do you still need?

We need three things. We need another winger as a priority for me. I cannot be doing with another season of Gray - he's had enough chances now and he is proven to be unproductive, greedy and frankly, not good enough for a team that has genuine ambition. We are still set to spend a fair bit this coming week so watch this space, and I'd like to see us go and buy a wide man of real quality, akin to what West Ham did last year with Felipe Anderson. Suso is the dream, Thauvin would be excellent, someone like Ismaila Sarr would be very good. Rodgers has admitted in the past he likes to stack his squads with midfielders and while this isn't a huge priority for me we are in for another attacking midfielder who 'will challenge for the first team', with Dennis Praet the strongest link.

The final thing we need is a clear out. We've got literally 11/12 players we could sell this summer and not miss. I want a significant number of these going, it's better for everybody.

Have you brought Jack Colback back into the fold instead of signing anyone?

Thankfully it's no longer 2006. It's a resounding no.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Would prefer another winger. Gray doesn't cut it enough for me - too inconsistent. Barnes is still a youngster and Albrighton is reliable.

Transfer business has been pretty decent by all accounts so far. Perez signed as a forward/winger & Justin as back-up to Pereira. The best bit of business signing-wise is Tielemans. Alternatively keeping players like Pereira, Vardy, Chilwell, Maddison is just as important.

If Maguire guys, getting a CB wouldn't be a priority. We can invest elsewhere in the squad.

I am surprised at the fact we've sold nobody of note. All the talk is of Maguire and yet the likes of Maddison, Chilwell, Ricardo and Ndidi have had nothing of note at all bar a couple of Juve links for Ricardo a few weeks ago and some gaff from the Telegraph about Chilwell. We are also in a very unique situation of being a non top six club who has a 20 goal a season forward that we're in next to no danger of losing. That is a huge advantage that we need to make count.

I think the vast majority are fed up of Gray now. I've been done with him for a while. He's not good enough at all.

• Administrator
Just now, Dan said:

I am surprised at the fact we've sold nobody of note. All the talk is of Maguire and yet the likes of Maddison, Chilwell, Ricardo and Ndidi have had nothing of note at all bar a couple of Juve links for Ricardo a few weeks ago and some gaff from the Telegraph about Chilwell. We are also in a very unique situation of being a non top six club who has a 20 goal a season forward that we're in next to no danger of losing. That is a huge advantage that we need to make count.

I think the vast majority are fed up of Gray now. I've been done with him for a while. He's not good enough at all.

Yeah, it's a great position to be in and the even better thing is that there's probably still a good 2, maybe 3, years of goodness left in him if we can play to his strengths. Bringing in Perez should take some burden off him as well. I'd love for Iheanacho to suddenly find a new lease of life but I'm not holding out any hope.

Last season was pretty much the final straw for me for Gray. Which is more than many other fans have given! But he's done nothing to make me change my thinking that he'll continue to be inconsistent and flatter to deceive.

Wouldn't surprise me if Barnes makes more appearances than Gray and I would not be against it. Having said that, it's also the reason why I want another out and out winger. It's a lot of pressure to put on Barnes for a whole season to create as much as we want him to.

A backup RB and LB. I don't like the idea of using Gomez at RB. He has looked great at CB. Let him stick to that. Milly at both those positions as an emergency is a good option, but he shouldn't be the default backup. Hoever is too young. 

A versatile forward, who can slot in when one of the front three is unavailable. I thought Shaq would have been that player, but after the initial promise he faded away. Brewster is young and needs time and Origi, despite his fabulous contributions last season, is not that man. The idea of using Gini or OX in those positions is not something I like. The less I speak about Lallana the better. I am more afraid about reports suggesting he is an option at number 6. Probably stupid rumours. 

Rest of the squad is good enough. 

7 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

A backup RB and LB. I don't like the idea of using Gomez at RB. He has looked great at CB. Let him stick to that. Milly at both those positions as an emergency is a good option, but he shouldn't be the default backup. Hoever is too young. 

A versatile forward, who can slot in when one of the front three is unavailable. I thought Shaq would have been that player, but after the initial promise he faded away. Brewster is young and needs time and Origi, despite his fabulous contributions last season, is not that man. The idea of using Gini or OX in those positions is not something I like. The less I speak about Lallana the better. I am more afraid about reports suggesting he is an option at number 6. Probably stupid rumours. 

Rest of the squad is good enough. 

The Lallana thing isn’t a rumour it came straight from Klopp’s mouth

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The Lallana thing isn’t a rumour it came straight from Klopp’s mouth

Yeah I read the same thing. Maybe something has happened over the course of the summer that has led the boss to think he can do the job. I think only time will tell and if he thinks that Adam can do the job why even bother questioning him after everyone has been proven wrong time and time again. 

Archived