football forum

Rafael Benitez: Good or Bad?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Rafael Benitez: Good or Bad?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Spike said:

Probably has the word 'Juve' before that.

Or Higuaín these days.

On the Benítez argument...  I''ve never made any secret about the fact I dislike him quite a bit.  His character stinks to be honest and he hasn't changed much over the years apart from mellowing out some of the radical statements he used to come out with back when he was coaching in Spain.  One thing he does seem to do though is offer himself 100% to whoever he's coaching and he won't have anyone disputing absolutely anything he thinks (thick skulled)...  That's where he's fallen out with directors at most of the clubs he's been at.  He makes a plan and where other coaches will then give some slack on interpretation, he won't!  If he was ever promised something or sounded like a promise from either the board or players, then it has to be maintained to the full and no improvisation is allowed.

Some of the quotes back in the day in Spain were great to like when he was at Valencia...

"I asked for a Porsche and they bought me a sofa"

xD

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Or Higuaín these days.

On the Benítez argument...  I''ve never made any secret about the fact I dislike him quite a bit.  His character stinks to be honest and he hasn't changed much over the years apart from mellowing out some of the radical statements he used to come out with back when he was coaching in Spain.  One thing he does seem to do though is offer himself 100% to whoever he's coaching and he won't have anyone disputing absolutely anything he thinks (thick skulled)...  That's where he's fallen out with directors at most of the clubs he's been at.  He makes a plan and where other coaches will then give some slack on interpretation, he won't!  If he was ever promised something or sounded like a promise from either the board or players, then it has to be maintained to the full and no improvisation is allowed.

Some of the quotes back in the day in Spain were great to like when he was at Valencia...

"I asked for a Porsche and they bought me a sofa"

xD

I thought it was "I asked for a sofa to furnish the loungeroom and they bought me a lamp.'?

Just now, Spike said:

I thought it was "I asked for a sofa to furnish the loungeroom and they bought me a lamp.'?

hahahaha...  Yeah that was it actually!  I took it off the top of my head and didn't bother searching.  There are other great ones that I can't remember right now but it was a constant roll of quirky comments aimed at the board.

Another coach that used to be like that and was hilarious while in Spain was John Toshack. xD

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

hahahaha...  Yeah that was it actually!  I took it off the top of my head and didn't bother searching.  There are other great ones that I can't remember right now but it was a constant roll of quirky comments aimed at the board.

Another coach that used to be like that and was hilarious while in Spain was John Toshack. xD

Nothing tops Rafa's lecture on 'fakts'.

Not a fan of him personally as he does come across as a bit of a knobhead but, in fairness to him, he fully embraced the club and city of Liverpool and did a lot of things behind the scenes for local causes, not least the JFT96 campaign and can see why he is well loved to an extent that goes way beyond what he achieved at the club. Have to grudgingly respect him for that

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

Nothing tops Rafa's lecture on 'fakts'.

Again I haven't bothered searching but a great John Toshack one back in the 80s while coaching Real Sociedad and he had gone on a rare run of bad results he literally said this in a post-match press conference to all of the press.

Journalist: "So are you going to make changes to any of those first teamers because there's some that don't seem to be giving 100%?"

Toshack: "You know... Recently I've been going home at night after these results thinking it all over.  I get into bed and I get pissed off and think THAT'S IT I'M DROPPING 6 OR 7 OF THEM... Then comes the day before the match and I'm making my team sheet and find myself writing down the same 11 cunts that played shit last week"

:rofl:

That is literally the language he used and the whole pressroom burst into tears of laughter and it's even replayed today when looking back on quirky moments.  But Toshack had tons of those as he coached there for years.

I think he's very good.

Not only a good manager, but a decent bloke too. Lives and breathes football, yes he has a couple of black marks on his CV, but who doesn't?

I hope he's at Newcastle for a very long time to come.

He's still a good manager but not in the very top bracket like he would have been considered to be in 8 or 9 years ago. He could have easily taken a job at a club that was in a better position than Newcastle were at the time but he obviously sees the potential there to build something because of the size of the club. 

Never really liked Newcastle but I always look out for their results now just because Rafa is there.

Definitely a great manager but I think his peak was in a time when football was a bit more conservative than it is now. But these things happen, approaches ebb and flow in efficacy as the footballing landscape changes. 

6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Never really liked Newcastle but I always look out for their results now just because Rafa is there.

The way I see it, it depends on the league we follow really. I hardly follow the Prem but he's done well with every club he's managed there, even Chelsea. I follow Serie A where he's known by most to be a terrible manager, so it really depends on who you follow for any opinion.

Liverpool, Newcastle, and Valencia fans have a right to love him and think he's a great manager where as us Napoli and Inter fans have a right to dislike him and think he's shit. I think he's OK but I sometimes feel that some Liverpool and Newcastle fans brainwash others to think he's at the level of Guardiola and Mourinho. Just my opinion and point of view though. 

56 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

The way I see it, it depends on the league we follow really. I hardly follow the Prem but he's done well with every club he's managed there, even Chelsea. I follow Serie A where he's known by most to be a terrible manager, so it really depends on who you follow for any opinion.

Liverpool, Newcastle, and Valencia fans have a right to love him and think he's a great manager where as us Napoli and Inter fans have a right to dislike him and think he's shit. I think he's OK but I sometimes feel that some Liverpool and Newcastle fans brainwash others to think he's at the level of Guardiola and Mourinho. Just my opinion and point of view though. 

Actually, most Napoli fans that are from Naples love him and for some unknown reason celebrated the Coppa Italia win like it was a Scudetto.

He does get criticised mind you on the defensive side of his game back at Napoli though.  But in general you can't say a bad word about him over there.

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Actually, most Napoli fans that are from Naples love him and for some unknown reason celebrated the Coppa Italia win like it was a Scudetto.

He does get criticised mind you on the defensive side of his game back at Napoli though.  But in general you can't say a bad word about him over there.

It's a mixed opinion really. I'm on the negative side but for example I saw a Napoli fan on Twitter call him a top manager, and I saw some replied agreeing and others call him an abysmal manager. I personally think there were good and bad things about him but the general context is that he failed in his mission to take the team forward.

Locals would know better than I would but it's also about personal judgement. What I saw from him wasn't good and I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

2 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

It's a mixed opinion really. I'm on the negative side but for example I saw a Napoli fan on Twitter call him a top manager, and I saw some replied agreeing and others call him an abysmal manager. I personally think there were good and bad things about him but the general context is that he failed in his mission to take the team forward.

I agree he failed to take Napoli forward and that's also my opinion and the one I've used with them out there many times but I would say 90% of them defend him to the hilt and if anything ADL is the one that gets stick.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I agree he failed to take Napoli forward and that's also my opinion and the one I've used with them out there many times but I would say 90% of them defend him to the hilt and if anything ADL is the one that gets stick.

ADL can be a joke sometimes but Napoli hasn't regressed with him, it's hit a stump. He took the team back to being one of the best teams in Italy but he's struggling to take the team forward. The problem with Rafa was that he took the team backwards, where as Sarri has consolidated it although he also has his faults. My point is, who knows where Napoli would be if ADL leaves. He may have some faults but he's very patient and he's very supporting. I'd take him over most football owners in modern day.

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

he's very patient and he's very supporting

Patient and supporting?

That's not the Aurelio de Laurentiis I know!  Did you read his comments after the Champions League tie against Real Madrid?  It's as if they had faced Plymouth Argyle!

That's not the first time he's come out with outbursts either as he is partial to sticking his nose in and doing the typical latin thing of going into the dressing room which isn't his territory and hounding the coach and players.  Infact Sarri has a terrible relationship with ADL as have many coaches in the past.  He has done good things but he is way way to involved in areas he should keep his nose out of.  He thinks he's a Florentino Pérez, only with much less power and influence.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Patient and supporting?

That's not the Aurelio de Laurentiis I know!  Did you read his comments after the Champions League tie against Real Madrid?  It's as if they had faced Plymouth Argyle!

That's not the first time he's come out with outbursts either as he is partial to sticking his nose in and doing the typical latin thing of going into the dressing room which isn't his territory and hounding the coach and players.  Infact Sarri has a terrible relationship with ADL as have many coaches in the past.  He has done good things but he is way way to involved in areas he should keep his nose out of.  He thinks he's a Florentino Pérez, only with much less power and influence.

Yeah mate I saw it, but by patient I mean he gives managers time. I've already talked Rafa but Sarri also had many faults this season at the start and they were clear. He was given his time and he turned it around. He's not the best owner in football but he can't be faulted for helping Napoli back to where they are now.

By supporting I was thinking of the example where he stuck by Rafa after bad results in 2014/2015 and threatened the players instead.

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Patient and supporting?

ADL is a character. I love him. Absolute madman that lives and breathes the passion and culture of his club. It's as if a 'not all there' ultra bumbled his way into money and power. 

Archived