football forum

Rafael Benitez: Good or Bad?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Rafael Benitez: Good or Bad?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Dan said:

I keep saying this but I can't see why he'd come here. Unless we really did go and offer him a brilliant transfer budget while Newcastle piss him around again, and absolutely no-one else went in for him. I just don't see it as a big enough step up, if one at all looking at the league table.

Benitez has done a fantastic job this season. It's only the fact he's managing a big club that's stopping him getting more plaudits as people expect Newcastle to be quite high up. That's a very ordinary squad but one very well drilled to a point it brings the best out of nearly everyone. Slimani looks a different player for them to us.

Along with Dyche and Guardiola he makes the top three managers of the season for me.

I mean, I can see why he'd want to leave. The Leicester squad is much better on paper, the Newcastle squad isn't really anything to write home about. And I highly doubt Rafa likes working with Mike Ashley and not knowing whether he's actually going to be given money to sign players.

But I do think he likes it at Newcastle generally and he's got a good relationship with the fans there, like he did here.

• Subscriber
55 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean, I can see why he'd want to leave. The Leicester squad is much better on paper, the Newcastle squad isn't really anything to write home about. And I highly doubt Rafa likes working with Mike Ashley and not knowing whether he's actually going to be given money to sign players.

But I do think he likes it at Newcastle generally and he's got a good relationship with the fans there, like he did here.

I can definitely see merit in us as we have got a decent-ish squad on paper (although it's ageing and we're nailed on to lose our best player). He'd easily get more money here but it's quite a big gamble for him surely. It's quite possible they come above us.

• 1 year later...

Archived