The better place to talk football.

Badminton

football forum

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Badminton is back, the Thailand Open is ongoing. 

Mens Singles: Cheering on Jason Anthony Ho-Shue as he's the Canadian in this. Won his game via walkover, I'm guessing his opponent got COVID. He's up against Jonathan Christie next, which I am expecting him to lose. The favourite here is Chou Tien Chen, but the Danes can surprise, especially Axelsen who won the last tournament before COVID if I recall correctly. Beating Tien Chen in that final.

Womens Singles: Michelle Li (Canadian) is much better than Ho-Shue in her category, she's ranked 10th in the world. She has a very tough side of the bracket though. She's been matched with 11th place Sung Ji Hyun. Winnable game but will probably head to the wire. After that, she's facing Tai Tzu Ying more than likely. She's the 2nd best female player in the world at the moment. I don't see her winning. Unfortunate as the other side of the bracket is much more accessible.

Carolina Marin is insane. She's the one who got the gold at Rio in 2016, and I can see her winning (if I said someone else, I change my mind).

I also saw An Se Young beat Sonia Cheah yesterday, 18 years old and in the top 10 in the world. However, while she was quick and had good footwork, she was nowhere near as good as Marin. So I don't expect her to go all the way. Semi's at best.

Just now, Mel81x said:

You can see how playing the game longer wore him down just by the way those sets scores ended up. 

Chou Tien Chen had the same problem earlier. Lost his first game and then destroyed his opposition in the next 2 sets.

I would love Lee Zil Jia to win this, but without Momota it's Axelsen's or Tien Chen's to lose I reckon.

I don't know a whole lot about mixed doubles, but I chose to watch this game involving British Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith vs 2 Danish players. The former pleasantly surprised me. Great duo, good communication and footwork between the 2. I'm not certain they'll win in this category but they look quite a good partnership.

31 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I don't know a whole lot about mixed doubles, but I chose to watch this game involving British Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith vs 2 Danish players. The former pleasantly surprised me. Great duo, good communication and footwork between the 2. I'm not certain they'll win in this category but they look quite a good partnership.

This didn't age well, they lost in 2 sets :( 

Chou Tien Chen destroyed Lee Zil Jia today. He wants the rematch vs Axelsen as that was the last final before COVID stopped it all.

I'm sure Axelsen will make the final but Chou has one last hurdle to pass in the semi-finals, pitted against Ng Ka Long Angus of Hong Kong.

In Womens singles, just waiting for the winner between Michelle Li and Tai Tzu Ying. I fully expect the latter to win but I hope for an upset.

Damn, Marcus Ellis and Chris Langridge looked set to win after being 6 points up early in the 3rd set, but the 2 young Indonesian teenagers struck a comeback and won 21-15. Absolutely awesome match, some of the rallies are the best I've seen. Extremely high standard.

Feel for the Brits but Carnando and Marthin are a very promising young duo.

Archived