talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sevilla FC Discussion

On 11/07/2017 at 3:35 PM, SirBalon said:

The big news is that Vitolo may have signed a 5 year extension at Sevilla which in all honesty I'm amazed at but if true is great news for them.

He's gone to Atletico in the end and has a 150 million clause.

It's a good move for him as it's pointless him sticking around at Sevilla when they have literally sold every good player they have. There is no Monchi now to replace these men and it's only downhill for Sevilla unless something miraculous happens, it's not going to be easy for them either way. They are pretty much a feeder club if we are honest and Vitolo needs to be playing for a bigger side. Atletico will give him everything he needs right now.

I heard a week or so ago that he would be loaned out to Las Palmas until January, when he would be eligible to play for Atletico, although I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

3 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

He's gone to Atletico in the end and has a 150 million clause.

It's a good move for him as it's pointless him sticking around at Sevilla when they have literally sold every good player they have. There is no Monchi now to replace these men and it's only downhill for Sevilla unless something miraculous happens, it's not going to be easy for them either way. They are pretty much a feeder club if we are honest and Vitolo needs to be playing for a bigger side. Atletico will give him everything he needs right now.

I heard a week or so ago that he would be loaned out to Las Palmas until January, when he would be eligible to play for Atletico, although I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Yeah, Sevilla are pretty messed up since Monchi went to AS Roma...  Add to that the way Jorge Sampaoli left for the Argentina national side position when Sevilla had placed a whole project tailor made for his type of coaching on the table.  Monchi done a lot of the work before he departed for Sampaoli to have what he required and requested in terms of types of players and Monchi also left the rest of the project on his office table so to speak so that this summer they could be even more competitive for the new season.  It's all gone into the office wastepaper basket I would expect and the club has been left in limbo.

On the Vitolo front...  When the rumours that Sampaoli was leaving and then Monchi also, he is known to have become extremely petulant in everything surrounding what he is required to do as a player.  Vitolo was entertaining all offers from various clubs around Europe from Barça, Atlético, Roma and AC Milan.  Sevilla began negotiations at that point to try and tie him down to a new extended deal with almost double the wages.  He wasn't having any of it but last week (to cut a long story short because a lot more occurred) Sevilla announced that both the player and the club had come to an agreement to extend his contract and with this ending all speculation surrounding his move to Atlético Madrid which was his favoured one as they guaranteed him first team football without moving away from La Liga.  All that was left was the protocol of the pictures of him signing the new deal.  Two days later he flies out to Madrid and signs for Atleti.

He done a bit of a bastard to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 01/08/2017 at 4:37 PM, SirBalon said:

Sevilla are going backwards!

In the end, this doesn't look to be the case so far to be honest. They are one of the most solid sides at the moment in Spain and got themselves a big point away to Liverpool without even playing well the other week. I see a solid side there as they have been for years now, even after always making big changes every summer.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

In the end, this doesn't look to be the case so far to be honest. They are one of the most solid sides at the moment in Spain and got themselves a big point away to Liverpool without even playing well the other week. I see a solid side there as they have been for years now, even after always making big changes every summer.

The results do seem to prove what you're saying, but there's something in the back of my head that's telling me it's all a bit false.  But then again I get the same thing about Barcelona.  Let's see what happens mate.

15 hours ago, SirBalon said:

The results do seem to prove what you're saying, but there's something in the back of my head that's telling me it's all a bit false.  But then again I get the same thing about Barcelona.  Let's see what happens mate.

You can only see when it comes to Barcelona, but so far so good.

Sevilla won't challenge and will drop off as they do, as they don't have the real quality and depth to go all the way like the top 3, but I don't see why they can't put up a fight for European spots.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

You can only see when it comes to Barcelona, but so far so good.

Sevilla won't challenge and will drop off as they do, as they don't have the real quality and depth to go all the way like the top 3, but I don't see why they can't put up a fight for European spots.

They were focusing on them last night on Spanish radio and they were talking about the very good work Berizzo is doing...  But they also touched on the depth issue as some said they have it this season while others were stating that without rotation the "second string" won't be ready.

I'm not sure because they always flatter to deceive to be honest and this season I have a sneaky suspicion it's all gonna be very tight all over the table!

• 1 month later...

Berizzo brought a lot of excitement to them at the beginning of the season but I looked at their team on paper and I was never that impressed. Navas and Nolito look like they're well past it, Muriel is frustrating and needs to improve and apart from that I fail to see where the excitement comes from player wise, their business over the summer was poor in my eyes and players like Escudero (as his mistake confirms tonight) have regressed massively. The likes of Banega, N'Zonzi and Sarabia provide some quality but I fail to see the player that makes a massive difference for them.

I think Berizzo needs another summer to bring quality in.

Edited by carefreeluke

36 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Berizzo brought a lot of excitement to them at the beginning of the season but I looked at their team on paper and I was never that impressed. Navas and Nolito look like they're well past it, Muriel is frustrating and needs to improve and apart from that I fail to see where the excitement comes from player wise, their business over the summer was poor in my eyes and players like Escudero (as his mistake confirms tonight) have regressed massively. The likes of Banega, N'Zonzi and Sarabia provide some quality but I fail to see the player that makes a massive difference for them.

I think Berizzo needs another summer to bring quality in.

Monchi mate.

• 3 weeks later...

20171120-636467849438710839_201711201432

Sevilla FC officially confirm that Berizzo is suffering from Prostate Cancer

Head coach of Sevilla FC, Eduardo Berizzo has been diagnosed with Prostate Adenocarcinoma.  Sevilla FC have officially announced this and in their statement add that they will be supporting their head coach in every way possible in the next steps their coach will be taking clinically once the doctors have decided the severity of the situation.

There are rumours Berizzo informed his team of his diagnosis at half-time in the dressing room while Sevilla were losing 0-3 to Liverpool.  How true this last statement is, only the team and coach know.

Yeah, I posted it in the Sevilla thread yesterday morning.  Sad news indeed and he seemed to have told the players at half-time when Sevilla were 0-3 down if the rumours are to be believed.  Let's see how this pans out.... Tito Villanova's passing away to cancer is still fresh in the mind of Spanish football fans.

• 1 month later...

Vincenzo Montella takes over from Toto Berizzo as Sevilla FC head coach.  Montella was officially named head coach today in a public press conference at the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuan with Italian and ex-Sevilla player Enzo Maresca intelligently named as his assistant by Montella.  Maresca is a Sevilla legend and knows La Liga well and obviously the club. Montella's particular football style should fit in well within La Liga as his football isn't in any way the usual defensive traditional style Italian coaches have been known for, quite the opposite. He is known to be a Self confessed Guardiola disciple which has gone down well with the hierarchy at the club. 

@ScoRoss how do you see this one? Montella's first venture outside Serie 'A'

An unusual move by Sevilla appointing Montella, but in no way does it make it a bad thing. I think Montella is a decent manager, and is improving but is far from a top level coach yet. His best coaching job was at Fiorentina and I think they are very comparable in stature to Sevilla. Frankly, he should have committed his self to Fiorentina and built on his team there. 

Recently, at Milan has been a troubled time. Last season, with no money to spend and a reliance on young players they had a hugely impressive start to the season and faded badly after winning the Super Cup. I thought he would have done better this season with Milan (who were in a very similar position to his first season at Fiorentina) but impatience got the better of the owners. Looking at results since his sacking, they should probably have stuck with him.

Will be interesting to see how he constructs his staff. Whether he brings over people he is familiar with from Italy, or people who have been working in Spain.

5 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

An unusual move by Sevilla appointing Montella, but in no way does it make it a bad thing. I think Montella is a decent manager, and is improving but is far from a top level coach yet. His best coaching job was at Fiorentina and I think they are very comparable in stature to Sevilla. Frankly, he should have committed his self to Fiorentina and built on his team there. 

Recently, at Milan has been a troubled time. Last season, with no money to spend and a reliance on young players they had a hugely impressive start to the season and faded badly after winning the Super Cup. I thought he would have done better this season with Milan (who were in a very similar position to his first season at Fiorentina) but impatience got the better of the owners. Looking at results since his sacking, they should probably have stuck with him.

Will be interesting to see how he constructs his staff. Whether he brings over people he is familiar with from Italy, or people who have been working in Spain.

From what I heard Milan tried to keep him on and sack Gattuso. Montella was still under contract at AC Milan even though Gattuso was acting as head coach and that's the reason Sevilla took until yesterday to announce the appointment, an appointment that had apparently been agreed over a week ago.

Montella has taken Enzo Maresca as his second man with him.  Maresca is a Sevilla legend and knows not only Sevilla (obviously) but also La Liga. From what I've been hearing it was Montella's dream to coach in La Liga.

It's sad what happened with Berrizo as he was doing well for himself there. Life can really be shite can't it?

This could be a decent appointment though as Sevilla have a very good habit of picking up managers who keep them as a competitive side. Emery, Sampaoli and Berrizo have all done well and they are the last 3 managers they appointed.

He also has time to adapt going into the Champions League fixture against United, who are definitely beatable. I would fancy Sevilla giving them a great go either way. Let's not forget that Celta Vigo weren't far off eliminating United from last season's Europa League. Sevilla, like most Spanish sides, won't make it easy for Mourinho.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

• 4 weeks later...

Sandro could have been on the verge of going to the world cup now, but he made the silly mistake of going to the Premier league rather than staying in La Liga where it is much more suited to him, especially at this point, where he had only had one break through season at Malaga.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

17 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Sandro could have been on the verge of going to the world cup now, but he made the silly mistake of going to the Premier league rather than staying in La Liga where it is much more suited to him, especially at this point, where he had only had one break through season at Malaga.

If anyone had asked me two years ago which of the Spanish young strikers would be most suited to the Premier League in the case of giving it a try, I’d have said Sandro but then again I thought the same about Negredo.  Heavyweight strikers with physical strength and a good sense of danger in the box.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

If anyone had asked me two years ago which of the Spanish young strikers would be most suited to the Premier League in the case of giving it a try, I’d have said Sandro but then again I thought the same about Negredo.  Heavyweight strikers with physical strength and a good sense of danger in the box.

It's more of an age thing. He had only had 1 season in the top flight(as a first team regular), he was 21 and here in England if you aren't great from the off then you quickly lose your reputation and become joke of the town, even if you are still a young lad.

Negredo was actually good for City before his injury and @Happy Blue even regarded him as the best in the world(:ph34r:) around that point. He was also older at the time of his move and had been doing it for years in Spain, it was a better time.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

6 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It's more of an age thing. He had only had 1 season in the top flight(as a first team regular), he was 21 and here in England if you aren't great from the off then you quickly lose your reputation and become joke of the town, even if you are still a young lad.

Negredo was actually good for City before his injury and @Happy Blue even regarded him as the best in the world(:ph34r:) around that point. He was also older at the time of his move and had been doing it for years in Spain, it was a better time.

For half a season Negredo was a beast!!  ..was scoring for fun and looked every bit as good as Aguero   ...what happened to the kid?