talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dejan Lovren - Liverpool > Roma

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah I agree. I'm all for defending the club but cant get my head around this one?!

It's a huge risk. 

Especially with the injury record of both Matip and to a lesser extent, Gomez. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Maybe Lovren has requested to leave? But yeah, given Gomez and Matip have their fair share of injury problems, it would leave us short. I suppose Fabinho can cover there though

He probably has, but the club haven't known his stance before the window opened? Not getting in a suitable replacement if we were gonna let him go was stupid.

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

He probably has, but the club haven't known his stance before the window opened? Not getting in a suitable replacement if we were gonna let him go was stupid.

Don't necessarily disagree but maybe Klopp is happy with his options there? In the event of a crisis, maybe he is happy to turn to Fabinho or one of the young lads. Is there any point in spending £10m+ on some bang average centre half if it blocks the pathway to the first team for one of the kids? I can see it from that point of view too

Apparently he doesn't want to stay on as 4th choice and wants to be starting somewhere, so the club will let him move if they get a decent offer. Also I'd just heard a crazy stat and I don't know if it's true - but he's never played more than 7 matches in a row with us... and he's been with us for 5 years!

10 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Maybe Lovren has requested to leave? But yeah, given Gomez and Matip have their fair share of injury problems, it would leave us short. I suppose Fabinho can cover there though

I read earlier that that's essentially why we're letting him go, which seems mad to me. Fabinho can cover centre half, but then we lose our only natural holding midfielder. Henderson or Wijnaldum can cover there, but then we lose one of our most important centre mids. Bear in mind our fullback cover is already a starting CB (Gomez) and the midfielder who played the most minutes for us last season (Milner, apparently; cba to look it up).

It's serious patchwork stuff and I think we're setting ourselves up for disaster at some point

It makes financial sense, though. You wouldn't forecast Lovren playing many minutes and this is pretty much our last chance to get a good fee for him

1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

I read earlier that that's essentially why we're letting him go, which seems mad to me. Fabinho can cover centre half, but then we lose our only natural holding midfielder. Henderson or Wijnaldum can cover there, but then we lose one of our most important centre mids. Bear in mind our fullback cover is already a starting CB (Gomez) and the midfielder who played the most minutes for us last season (Milner, apparently; cba to look it up).

It's serious patchwork stuff and I think we're setting ourselves up for disaster at some point

It makes financial sense, though. You wouldn't forecast Lovren playing many minutes and this is pretty much our last chance to get a good fee for him

We aren't even getting a good fee in today's market, although getting him off the wage bill would free up plenty of money. 

Still think it's a mistake though, for most of the reasons you mention.

4 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Melissa Reddy is saying Klopp want's a clearer path for Sepp van den Berg - https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3919918/sources-liverpool-in-talks-to-sell-lovren-to-roma

and there's now multiple reports that while Lovren would like to stay at Liverpool, he doesn't want to be 4th choice CB - which he now sees himself as (and he is...). Financially it also makes sense to the club. Although in my eyes, it's pretty risky putting that much faith in a kid. Lovren, Matip and Gomez all have pretty poor injury track records (although Gomez's last injury was a broken leg, so hopefully that's just a freak injury).

At the same time, we've probably signed this Dutch kid for a reason and if after pre-season Klopp wants to give him a clearer path to the first team, that's probably a good thing for us in the long run.

Still feels like a mistake though.

@Burning Gold hit the nail on the head. Our defensive cover is players who play in midfield, which is terrible planning. If Robbo gets injured, no doubt Klopp puts Milner in at left back. If both Matip and Gomez are injured we end up with Firmino slotting back in.

Either Klopp is seriously rolling the dice on us having another major injury-free season or the club has told him there are no pennies to spend this summer. Both of those options are equally ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, Rick said:

@Burning Gold hit the nail on the head. Our defensive cover is players who play in midfield, which is terrible planning. If Robbo gets injured, no doubt Klopp puts Milner in at left back. If both Matip and Gomez are injured we end up with Firmino slotting back in.

Either Klopp is seriously rolling the dice on us having another major injury-free season or the club has told him there are no pennies to spend this summer. Both of those options are equally ridiculous.

Bit extremexD

• The topic was locked

Archived