talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 2-2 Chelsea - European Super Cup Final - Liverpool win 5-4 on penalties

football forum

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Liverpool v Chelsea - European Super Cup Final - Wednesday 14th August, 2019

I am not sexist but female referee's should not referee male football matches. Nothing to do with gender but it is highly doubtful they will have the same respect as people will always have a issue with this topic. Also the gender equality is getting on my tits, is there a league for female players? yes, is there a champions league, world cup etc for female players? yes. Great referee that then for fuck sake.

On the game not sure what to expect, Liverpool should be heavy favorites as we have a new manager and a new style of football that will need time to adjust. Hopefully we put on a good display, just three days after fucking Manchester United away.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, True Blue said:

I am not sexist but female referee's should not referee male football matches. Nothing to do with gender but it is highly doubtful they will have the same respect as people will always have a issue with this topic. Also the gender equality is getting on my tits, is there a league for female players? yes, is there a champions league, world cup etc for female players? yes. Great referee that then for fuck sake.

It's a sexist comment though to make, saying female's shouldn't referee male football matches? Why not? 'Nothing to do with gender' - your whole point is about the gender. 

Also saying it's doubtful they will have the same respect is naive. In order for them to gain the respect, surely it's better to give them the chance to do that instead of just batting them down and refusing them the opportunity?

Just because there's a league and tournaments for female players doesn't mean female referees should be restricted to that. 

If they're good enough for doing the job, then why does it matter what sex/gender they are?

For anyone who will always have an issue with it, it probably says more about them than it does anyone else. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

It's a sexist comment though to make, saying female's shouldn't referee male football matches? Why not? 'Nothing to do with gender' - your whole point is about the gender. 

Also saying it's doubtful they will have the same respect is naive. In order for them to gain the respect, surely it's better to give them the chance to do that instead of just batting them down and refusing them the opportunity?

Just because there's a league and tournaments for female players doesn't mean female referees should be restricted to that. 

If they're good enough for doing the job, then why does it matter what sex/gender they are?

For anyone who will always have an issue with it, it probably says more about them than it does anyone else. 

I think a big majority of football fans will be against female referee's in make football matches. Are most people sexist? Yes. For the part that players will respect a quality referee only taking in account his ability and decision making is highly doubtful, but hey let's see if they can prove us wrong.

• Subscriber

If my old man was alive he would be saying "WTF is going on females in football, rugby, cricket, boxing etc, now we have bloody female refs in a man's game".

I guess we have to change with the times and what would happen if the ladies started to say "Why do men referee ladies football, rugby, cricket, boxing games and matches?"I would imagine 'What is Good for the Goose is Good for the Gander'.  

On the match, 2-2 then extra time where Salah misses a header but makes up for it by scoring the winning penalty. :coffee:

• Subscriber

Its refereeing and nothing more really. The person refereeing has to make sure the game runs smoothly so I can't see how gender is even a relevant discussion topic here. If she does well, and I think she will, then I hope to see more of this but that all remains to be seen on the day and how things go. This isn't the first time this has happened in a game of football either and I don't think it should be the last. We're always complaining about how poor referees are and if we get more diversity and it proves to be better across the board and helps improve the refereeing standard I am all for it.

As for the game, I think its very good for us to have played a game in the season against Norwich before heading into this one. We were terribly unsettled at the back against City and I really liked what I saw in the second half. If we can keep that energy going for 70 minutes we'll walk away the winners in this one.

• Subscriber

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

As for the game, I think it's very good for us to have played a game in the season against Norwich before heading into this one. We were terribly unsettled at the back against City and I really liked what I saw in the second half. If we can keep that energy going for 70 minutes we'll walk away the winners in this one.

I only saw the second half with our son but me being a neutral I think Liverpool outplayed City and was a whisker away from winning that if Salah's header had gone in, I think he was caught off guard when his first shot rebounded off the City's player leg and his header was pretty soft but if that was VVD with his height he would have buried that header.  

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

I only saw the second half with our son but me being a neutral I think Liverpool outplayed City and was a whisker away from winning that if Salah's header had gone in, I think he was caught off guard when his first shot rebounded off the City's player leg and his header was pretty soft but if that was VVD with his height he would have buried that header.  

What was amazing was Walker in all that mess. Not only did the guy sprint as fast as he did but he had the presence of mind to understand how much he needed to swing and not hit the ball anywhere but dead-center. Any other part of his leg touches that and its a goal. Like I said in the other thread it was destined for them to win it, even Alisson got his hand on a ball and still wasn't able to keep it away from the goal and stop the penalty.

@True Blue agree with him on some parts, in a high stake match handling testosterone filled athletes who are always in their high performance mood isn't just about good referring, you have to assert your personality on them and let them know who is boss. Otherwise you'll lose control over the game. 

45 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Liverpool and Chelsea should both be sending a letter of complaint. The refs already have a tough time keeping up with the speed of the game and like others have said, it is plain stupid to believe she can do as good as job as well-trained Male. Mentally? Absolutely. Physically? No fucking way. 

It's the Super Cup it's basically a glorified friendly, I don't particularly give a fuck about the match at all

• Subscriber

Hopefully there are no incidents. Even if she makes an honest mistake which could and does happen to make referees all the time, any criticism of her performance will lead to a SJW war on social media.

"If A mAn MaDe ThAt MiStAkE nObOdY wOuLd SaY aNyThInG iTs JuSt CaUsE yOuRe ThReAtEnEd By A wOmAn ReAcHiNg ThE tOp Of HeR fIeLd"

Could do without it.

It could certainly be worth experimenting. I don't think she would make any different mistakes as a man would. My worry would be if they can keep control of some games. Since this is mens football, especially in a match with inflated egos, the players could believe themselves to be superior and then lose control of games.

I do see the good in this but at the same time, it could also lead to a lot of controversy.

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

As a player, it would be weird at first but nothing you couldn't eventually get used to. 

The thing that worries me is that another John Terry will show up and have an affair with the referee one of these days. 

Like I said I think it could be worth experimenting but for the long term I think it would be better to keep women to the womens game and men to the mens. That said, there have been plenty of female linesman in the last few years and nothing has happened.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

The thing that worries me is that another John Terry will show up and have an affair with the referee one of these days. 

Like I said I think it could be worth experimenting but for the long term I think it would be better to keep women to the womens game and men to the mens. That said, there have been plenty of female linesman in the last few years and nothing has happened.

So if female assistants (I find it amusing you used linesman after femalexD) have come in and not caused any controversy, why do referees not get the same treatment or chances?

1 minute ago, Stan said:

So if female assistants (I find it amusing you used linesman after femalexD) have come in and not caused any controversy, why do referees not get the same treatment or chances?

Because linesman are secondary.

For example, Howard Webb was a recognizable name in football. Can you name any linesman though?

I am aware that linesman can also be the primary official but for the most part they aren't the source of controversy though.

• Subscriber

Bibiana Steinhaus has been refereeing football matches in Germany's top tiers (including 1. Bundesliga) for years and hasn't had a single issue; whether with keeping up physically or keeping players in check. If she passes the same tests as male refs, why would it be a problem? Unless of course they're doing it as a PR stunt for publicity only. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

Because linesman are secondary.

For example, Howard Webb was a recognizable name in football. Can you name any linesman though?

I am aware that linesman can also be the primary official but for the most part they aren't the source of controversy though.

I can name some PL ones but that doesn't really prove anything.

There's been a female referee in the Bundesliga I think? She's not caused controversy to my knowledge and has been able to handle 'inflated egos'...

Archived