talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 2-2 Chelsea - European Super Cup Final - Liverpool win 5-4 on penalties

football forum

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not sure why but I've always viewed the Super Cup as a bit more than a 'friendly' in comparison to the Charity Shield where I do see that as a friendly. Maybe it's the timing of it or the fact it seems a bigger deal to other European sides, I'm not sure haha

Perhaps the fact that its not really a domestic cup and its the winner of the CL vs the winner of the Europa League which should produce a good match. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Perhaps the fact that its not really a domestic cup and its the winner of the CL vs the winner of the Europa League which should produce a good match. 

Yeah possibly. Finishing second in the league as we did can get you into the Charity Shield whereas you do have to win one of the two European competitions to get into the Super Cup

Yeah, I don't see it as just some friendly. It's the winners of the two European cups against eachother, that alone raises it above friendly territory. I absolutely want us to fight like beavers for it.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.fa7db83cbc689674d033b951763bb572.png

Super Cup: Liverpool and Chelsea to meet in final - why you should care

The Uefa Super Cup takes centre stage on Wednesday with Champions League winners Liverpool taking on Europa League victors Chelsea at the Besiktas Park in Istanbul.

It is a big opportunity for one of these two sides to win their first piece of silverware this season, but just how much should you care about the game?

Here are five reasons why it is a fixture worth your time.

English sides meet for the first time in competition's history

_108295873_liverpool.jpg

Liverpool was the last English team to win the Super Cup when they beat CSKA Moscow in 2005. The Reds won 3-1 after extra-time

The Super Cup has effectively made its home in the trophy cabinet of a Spanish club in recent years, with the last five winners all from Spain.

But it will, for the first time in 14 years, be heading to England this year, with this game being the first time it has been contested between two Premier League sides.

In total seven Super Cup finals have been between domestic rivals - five involving Spanish teams, including four since 2014, and two all-Italian ones.

Super Cup finals between domestic rivals
1990 Milan v Sampdoria Milan won 3-1 on aggregate
1993 Parma v Milan Parma won 2-1 on aggregate
2006 Sevilla v Barcelona Sevilla won 3-0
2014 Real Madrid v Sevilla Real Madrid won 2-0
2015 Barcelona v Sevilla Barcelona won 5-4 after extra-time
2016 Real Madrid v Sevilla Real Madrid won 3-2 after extra-time
2018 Atletico Madrid v Real Madrid Atletico Madrid won 4-2 after extra-time

History will be made

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber

Just to add to whats been said, if we win this one then we will have become joint total winners with Real Madrid and only two other clubs are post that, one is Milan and the other is Barcelona.

16 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Obviously Kante is hugely important for Chelsea. If he plays, I think that Chelsea have a chance, if he doesn't then I think Liverpool will have too much for Chelsea. That's how important I think he is for Chelsea.

Looking at our United performance I am not really hopeful our defence will be able to contain them and certainly not over 90 minutes, If however we were to get an early goal perhaps this might put some pressure on Pool even if it's for a short period of time.. Fully expect them to come out all guns blazing and could do without another drubbing or the whole team are going to be disheartened before the season has really had chance to get going.. 

57 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Looking at our United performance I am not really hopeful our defence will be able to contain them and certainly not over 90 minutes, If however we were to get an early goal perhaps this might put some pressure on Pool even if it's for a short period of time.. Fully expect them to come out all guns blazing and could do without another drubbing or the whole team are going to be disheartened before the season has really had chance to get going.. 

Agreed if we score first it could be a good game for us, if we concede a couple early we won't be returning. I said it against United if we don't concede under 30 minutes we should be fine, but of course against good opposition we usually either concede inside the 25 minute and lose, or manage to go beyond 30 minutes or half time and win. We are the underdogs and most people and fans fully expect us to be smashed, hope the lads can bounce back and get the season under way. Our weak spot are fast counters in which Liverpool exceeds, and their pace could seriously hurt us. We need our defensive midfield duo to be a big cover for our defenders in those situations. Kante is ideal for covering the gaps when we are hit on the counters but i wouldn't risk him for this game and get him on the injury list for long. If he is fit then let him play if he is not then bench him. Rudiger is also close to fitness as he is training with the team and his return should stabilize the back four. Willian returning will give us options and experience. Hope for good performance like in the first half and the start of the second against United. If we can maintain the level of good performance this team will gel soon. 

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Agreed if we score first it could be a good game for us, if we concede a couple early we won't be returning. I said it against United if we don't concede under 30 minutes we should be fine, but of course against good opposition we usually either concede inside the 25 minute and lose, or manage to go beyond 30 minutes or half time and win. We are the underdogs and most people and fans fully expect us to be smashed, hope the lads can bounce back and get the season under way. Our weak spot are fast counters in which Liverpool exceeds, and their pace could seriously hurt us. We need our defensive midfield duo to be a big cover for our defenders in those situations. Kante is ideal for covering the gaps when we are hit on the counters but i wouldn't risk him for this game and get him on the injury list for long. If he is fit then let him play if he is not then bench him. Rudiger is also close to fitness as he is training with the team and his return should stabilize the back four. Willian returning will give us options and experience. Hope for good performance like in the first half and the start of the second against United. If we can maintain the level of good performance this team will gel soon. 

I wouldn't want us to risk them for this either not if it meant having them out for longer. This is the equivalent of a European Charity Shield for me so not all that fussed about winning it, losing it badly then yes because moral wise we could be on the back foot and we all know the knives will be out for Lampard even this early on in the season..  I think looking at us pre season it was going to be a reasonable assumption that in games against the likes of City, Liverpool, Spurs etc were going to be games where we would stumble but thought we could be close to where United or Arsenal are. Having seen the display against United I have obviously changed my mind simply because defensively we are all over the place. 

I also found it interesting that Lampard took umbridge at Mourinhos comments regarding the United game when what he had to say made sense and you would have thought having played under him he would understand more than anything the importance of having a solid defence, Now I appreciate that Lampard wants to go his own way and instill his own style on the side and in no way do I knock that but I hope that he does not have a stubborn side to him that blocks out all or any good/smart advice he may be given because he has to remember he is still learning as a Manager and this is a huge job for him and one that could be cut short if he does not get the basics right for the sake of fast attacking open football... Get the basics right and move forward from there..

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Seen the reported Chelsea lineup, looks like they'll be set up to defend first and foremost.

Im thinking that why Ox is in there to provide something direct and draw defenders in leaving the wings to operate more efficiently.

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Much better starting 11 for Chelsea than Frank put out against Utd. 

Should be a good game. 

I'm a bit disappointed he didn't maintain that same cockiness they had against United. But I guess getting absolutely smashed by a bang average United would make anyone cautious. 

I have to agree with Artful Dodger here. I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say it's a completely irrelevant match, but if you're gonna experiment, these sort of matches are the ones to do it. They aren't huge games and everyone has to start somewhere. If she hasn't refereed big games in Womens football then that changes things a bit, but if she has, it's better to experiment in these games instead of an important league game, or the CL semi final lets say.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Under the laws of the game, shouldn't Christensen have just let that ball smash him in the face, rather than him being allowed to block his face with his hands? Probably harsh, but rules are rules.

It's ridiculous. Nature means we protect our heads and bollocks. You can't penalise people for stuff so close. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Under the laws of the game, shouldn't Christensen have just let that ball smash him in the face, rather than him being allowed to block his face with his hands? Probably harsh, but rules are rules.

Surprised they didn't go to VAR with that one.. 

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

It's ridiculous. Nature means we protect our heads and bollocks. You can't penalise people for stuff so close. 

Well it wasn't a penalty, so the officials and lack of VAR clearly decided it's alright for him to protect his face. Pretty fucking inconsistent with how the rule's been applied recently though.

Archived