• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.8accc4d0c9698fb6bc3c1d176587d778.png

HIGHLAND LEAGUE

FRASERBURGH

GALLERY: On this day 50 years ago, European Cup finalists Celtic travelled to Fraserburgh to honour lives lost in a lifeboat disaster

April 28, 2020

AN-Fraserburgh-v-Celtic-1970-04-28_06-C-

It was a poignant occasion 50 years ago today when the giants of Celtic came to Fraserburgh to pay their respects to lifeboat heroes.

Three months earlier, on January 21, the port’s Duchess of Kent lifeboat overturned in a freak wave while aiding a Danish fishing vessel to safety.

It resulted in the loss of five men and has had a lasting impact on both the families affected and the character of the town itself.

FULL REPORT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.8fa1a4eeb8c6b0cc360e5b524e7c9164.png

Brora Rangers chairman William Powrie believes the SPFL has “failed to step up to the plate” over the breakdown of reconstruction talks.

May 9, 2020, 9:00 am

Highland League champions Brora and their Lowland League counterparts Kelty Hearts have been all-but denied promotion to the SPFL after Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack revealed yesterday the Premiership clubs would not vote in favour of reconstruction.

Dons chief Cormack did go on to state discussions could be revisited once they are through the worst of coronavirus, which did leave Powrie perplexed.

He felt the setting up of the reconstruction group by the SPFL, done as part of finishing the seasons in the Championship, League 1 and League 2, could have been used as a way of placating those clubs that would have been negatively affected, rather than a chance for genuine change.

Powrie said: “It’s disappointing so far as the SPFL are concerned as they had a real chance to embrace the pyramid system and singularly failed to step up to the plate. If you think it was the SPFL who commissioned the reconstruction group, you really wonder what the long-term agenda was, if the findings can be summarily dismissed. I think the motives could well have been placation.

“I read that (could be revisited) and what I would say to Dave Cormack is can he explain what he means? Is it three days, three months or three years? It’s complete ambiguity.

“It looks very much like the door has been slammed in our face. You feel like the grand old Duke of York, being marched up to the top of the hill and back down again.”

Powrie had previously spoken of the need to get promoted this season and laid bare the £30,000 financial hole they faced because of the football shutdown.

He added: “It leaves us in the Highland League unless something comes from left-field. The whole budget of the club will have to change. The ease of getting sponsorship next season will be much more challenging. We will have to cut our cloth accordingly, as I’m sure will the other Highland League clubs.

“Clearly we want to progress and if we don’t do it this season, then we want to do it next season. It’s still very raw and it almost feels worse than losing a playoff game. If we lost that we would have accepted we weren’t good enough and would have gone back to the Highland League.”

The Cattachs had been in close contact with Kelty during the whole process and both leagues had representation on the reconstruction group, with Highland League secretary Rod Houston there on behalf of clubs in the north.

Powrie said: “There’s a degree of anger from the directors I have spoken to and I have been in contact with Kelty Hearts since the decision was announced.

“We have used every opportunity we have been given to promote our cause. This is all with the caveat that Rod Houston did an exemplary job and no criticism is directed at him.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/spfl/2199179/spfl-failed-to-step-up-to-the-plate-says-brora-rangers-chairman-william-powrie/

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.ab9b8abb4bf4a09a559c0f31e40b04dd.png

Fort would welcome sequel to the award-winning documentary

download.thumb.png.a21db71b6dea79949678536e6ef02fac.png

Fort William would welcome a sequel to the award-winning documentary about the club screened last year.

BBC Scotland’s “The Fort” programme, which was shown last July, won the best sports programme at the Royal Television Society Scotland awards earlier this week.

The fly-on-the-wall documentary charted the Fort’s struggles to end a long winless run spanning nearly two years, which came to an end with a 5-2 North of Scotland Cup victory over Nairn County the night after it was screened.

Fort director Colin Wood, who was featured in the programme, is keen to bring the television cameras back to Claggan Park for a follow-up.

Wood said: “It was a strange feeling having the film crew when we had to try and run the team as well.

“I was really happy for Alex Gale who put his heart and soul into it and followed us for six months along with David MacCormack.

“They were really good and as unobtrusive as they could be.

“When we get back to playing football, we would really like to try and do a follow up in some form or another.

“It was a huge amount of work, but it can’t be underestimated the amount of interest it generated for the club.

“We had a lot of media interest, so it was a crazy time for us.

“We would like to do it again, as it would be nice to put an update out.”

Wood was thrilled with the response to the documentary, adding: “We were delighted – the documentary tried to portray us in a positive light.

“It was really difficult to do, but it started off our route to success.

“It was a great advert for the team which got a lot of interest from outwith the area, but it was also a great advert for the area.

“It really captured the beauty of Lochaber off the park as well.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/2238263/fort-would-welcome-sequel-to-award-winning-documentary/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.086fc45460539feee8c3fe892aaee3bd.png

Coach operator offers assistance to Wick Academy after club takes travel hit

A coach company boss is offering to help lessen the financial hit his local Highland League football side have taken as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Like all other clubs in its division, Wick Academy have lost out with the premature ending of the season in mid-March.

But the Caithness side were particularly badly affected as six of their scheduled seven remaining matches had been at home.

The club reckons this has cost them up to £10,000 in lost gate money and sponsorship.

After learning of their plight, Aaron Wilson has offered to run a free bus to the Scorries’ first and last away trip of next season and to sponsor several of their home games. He operates Thrumster-based Aaron’s of Wick, which itself has ground to a halt during the pandemic.

The 26-year-old said: “To get everything going again, I think local companies and organisations need to stick together and help each other out. I trained with the Academy for six years and am a big fan and would be keen to do what I can to help them out of the current crisis.”

While his company’s operation remains suspended, Wilson has been working as a council bin lorry driver.

Academy chairman Pat Miller yesterday said the offer was very much appreciated and would be considered when the club was in a position to finalise arrangements for a return to action.

Miller, who has been 45 years with the club as a player, manager and official, said: “We don’t have a clue when the new season is likely to start and therefore cannot firm up anything.

“Without knowing when the season is going to be, we can’t make progress on any of these but we definitely appreciate Aaron’s offer and will definitely consider it.”

Miller doubts the club could afford to take part in a competition played behind closed doors given that it faces an outlay of £20,000 per season in travelling costs.

He adds that the current social distancing rules would seriously impact the operation of coach trips.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/2250038/coach-operator-offers-assistance-to-harmsworth-club/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.ad4239c89c8940463ad147acdd2df6da.png

Brora boss Mackay: Crowds crucial if Highland League is to return

PJ-KE-080918-01-003-546x372.jpg

Brora Rangers player-manager Steven Mackay hopes social distancing measures can be implemented to allow the Highland League to resume with crowds.

Highland League secretary Rod Houston has already dismissed the notion of the new season starting behind closed doors, due to the clubs’ reliance on matchday income through ticket sales and hospitality.

Mackay believes the layout of most Highland League grounds, including Brora’s Dudgeon Park, would allow clubs to fall in line with the government’s social distancing guidelines.

Mackay said: “Our club and all the other clubs need fans to come through the gates. We need people paying to come in and watch us, as well as the hospitality, otherwise, we wouldn’t be able to function.

“Once the Highland League decides on a start date, it needs to probably be determined by what the guidance is at the time.

“You’d like to think with the way our ground, and a lot of other Highland League grounds, are set up, you could socially distance quite easily.

“If we can’t get fans through the gate, for me I don’t see how clubs can continue to play behind closed doors with the financial burden.”

Aside from the financial need for supporters to attend games, Mackay says crowds are a vital part of the matchday experience.

Mackay added: “The fans play a massive part.

“We don’t get tens of thousands of people coming to watch our games, but the people that do come and watch us – it means a lot to the players.

“It wouldn’t be right for me going back and playing without having our fans there.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fraserburgh’s West has sympathy for Highland League champions Brora

PJ-CJS-201019-5-12-620x372.jpg

Fraserburgh's Willie West scores a penalty for the Broch.

Willie West feels it is a shame Brora Rangers will be in the Highland League next season.

But the Fraserburgh stalwart is looking forward to trying to compete with the Cattachs at the top of the table.

The 2019-20 champions have seen their hopes of promotion to the SPFL disappear with reconstruction rejected and pyramid play-offs between the Dudgeon Park outfit, Lowland League winners Kelty Hearts and League Two’s bottom side Brechin City cancelled.

Although third in the table when football was stopped in March, the Broch were seen as Brora’s closest challengers due to their games in hand.

Bellslea veteran West felt the table-toppers at least deserved a shot at the playoffs if they did not get automatic promotion.

The 32-year-old said: “It’s a shame Brora are still in the league, they deserved the opportunity to go up at least in a play-off if nothing else.

“I know if it had been ourselves involved we would have been gutted so I can only imagine how they’re feeling at not getting the opportunity.

“I think every team in the Highland League will feel the same way for Brora.

“It was a unanimous vote to declare them champions because they were the best team in the league and deserved to be champions.

“Whether they would have won the play-offs I don’t know. Personally I think they would have beaten Kelty Hearts.

“We’ve only seen Kelty on the TV, but we played Bonnyrigg Rose – who were their closest challengers – in the Scottish Cup and we should have beaten them.

“I felt Brora were better than them and would have been able to get past Kelty and then it would have been the tie against the team bottom of League Two.

HUNTLY-FC-V-BRORA-RANGERS-FC_7-DECEMBER-

Brora Rangers were declared Highland champions.

“With the squad Brora have and the signings they made I felt they could have done well in League Two and it’s unfortunate what has happened and I suppose nobody could have predicted it.

“I haven’t read too much into why they haven’t allowed Brora the opportunity, but it’s disappointing for them.”

There’s no clear indication yet of when next season’s Highland League will begin, but with Brora still in the division West hopes Fraserburgh can compete with them and others for the title.

He added: “I’m excited about next season and I don’t think we hide our ambitions. I think we’ll go into it with the objective of trying to win the league.

“I don’t think we’ll be favourites, but we want to be in the mix and I think Formartine, Inverurie, Rothes and Buckie will all be fighting closely together, as well as Brora, and I think we can all beat each other.

“It will be interesting to see how things go and I think we can take confidence from being one of only two teams to beat Brora last season as well.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/2284145/sympathy-for-champions/

download.thumb.png.22f292ad06f6189b772e1793d7a7eb1b.png

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.a5e731f41cf2b5eaf015c236e77cd0bf.png

Fort William expecting a smaller batch of Caley Thistle youngsters for next term

Fort William manager Calum MacLean expects to receive a smaller batch of Caley Thistle players on loan next season.

The Lochaber outfit agreed on a partnership with Inverness last summer after the Championship side had failed in its attempt to enter a colts team into the Highland League.

Fort would likely receive a fresh batch of youngsters, with the majority of last season’s nine loanees having since been released by Caley Jags. However, MacLean reckons that number will be reduced next term.

He said: “We don’t know what is going to happen with the Caley Thistle boys, but I think we will get fewer players this year. It’s a three-year thing where we got nine first, then it will get dropped down to five next season and then maybe two the following year.

“It was to be something like that. I’m hoping to get some of them – we will need them.

“It will help us. I knew most of the local ones through my times in charge before and I know when I left they were all scunnered with getting battered every week. That’s why a lot of them left.

“The Caley Thistle boys are good players and it will bring them on too. They were a joy to have – they were very polite, and no bother at all. They mixed in with the locals here and got on very well.”

MacLean signed a new one-year deal at Claggan Park last month, has returned for a third stint in charge in January.

Although Fort William are bottom of the Highland League when the season was stopped, MacLean remains convinced they would have risen from the foot of the table.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/2290580/smaller-batch-of-caley-jags-for-fort-side/

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.6508d756b566782818ea62cc27914a77.png

Inverurie Locos captain Neil McLean frustrated at SPFL ‘glass ceiling’ for Highland League clubs

PJ-SCB-061119-003-22-508x372.jpg

Locos captain Neil McLean, centre has a shot on goal. Picture by Scott Baxter

Inverurie Locos captain Neil McLean is disappointed that the SPFL has shut the door on the Highland League.

With reconstruction falling through Highland League champions Brora Rangers and their Lowland League counterparts Kelty Hearts have seen their promotion hopes disappear.

McLean, who has spent 16 years with the Railwaymen, can’t understand why the 14-10-10-10 proposal, which would have seen Brora and Kelty promoted didn’t gain more traction.

The 39-year-old said: “I thought the proposal that was there (14-10-10-10) was ideal for everyone.

“It promoted the teams that had done well like Brora and Kelty and saved the teams that were going to be relegated.

“I don’t understand why they couldn’t run with and look at reconstruction back to what it was or to something else further down the line.

“It’s all about self-preservation and self-interest, but why call it a pyramid system when Brora and Kelty aren’t being included?

“The Highland League administration does a cracking job working with the SFA and SPFL.

“But now it’s like there’s a glass ceiling in place. You can see what you’re working towards and the target is to get into the SPFL.

“That’s what Brora and Kelty have worked towards and it’s been taken away from them.

“It’s a shame for both clubs and I feel for them and I would feel the same for any Highland League team in that position.”

McLean says Brora and Kelty’s case for promotion to the SPFL wasn’t helped by not being included in any of the organisation’s meetings.

The Highland and Lowland Leagues did have representatives on the SPFL’s reconstruction task force, which was disbanded in April, but other than that the Cattachs and the Jambos didn’t have anyone to fight their corner.

McLean, who has also played for Elgin City, believes the way the Highland and Lowland Leagues have been overlooked is similar to the pre-pyramid days when clubs had to apply to join the Scottish League.

He added: “There was no clear representation of Brora or the Highland League.

“There should be representation for every club and association that was going to be affected.

“That’s one of the reasons why people will feel aggrieved because Brora didn’t have a voice at the big table and with the SPFL it’s a case of ‘it’s our ball and we’ll play with it and you go and find somewhere else to play.’

“It begs the question should the Highland League just go back to running itself and it’s own affairs as it used to and then go back to having to apply to get into the leagues.

“That’s what used to happen and with what’s happened recently it seems like they’re heading back in that direction.

“I’ve been in the Highland League for a long time and it’s a shame how Brora and the league have been treated.

“We’ve seen Cove go up through the play-offs, I had a season with Elgin when they went up and Peterhead, Ross County and Inverness Caley Thistle went up as well.

“All of them have gone up and done well, there are no mugs coming from the Highland League, the clubs from the Highland League have been a great addition.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/2286203/inverurie-locos-captain-neil-mclean-frustrated-at-spfl-glass-ceiling-for-highland-league-clubs/

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.99110e0299042ce79b9a19c6c594b6af.png

Highland League legends band together to support striker’s MND fight

FDE98102-5B97-4842-A83E-6B721B23FA83-768

Legends from the Highland League are preparing to go the distance to support a popular north-east striker’s battle with motor neurone disease.

Martin Johnston terrorised defences across the country during his career with Peterhead, Elgin City and Brechin City while also claiming three championship medals with Cove Rangers.

However, the 42-year-old, who lives in Kingswells near Aberdeen, faces the toughest challenge of his life now after being diagnosed with the illness that attacks the brain and nerves, causing muscle wasting, in 2018.

Next weekend dozens of former teammates, opponents and coaches of the father-of-two will turn out to show solidarity with the structural designer by each running a mile to raise cash for the My Name’5 Doddie Foundation, which supports MND research.

Johnston’s former Peterhead and Cove teammate Keith Robertson explained there had been no shortage of familiar football names from across the north and north-east wanting to take part.

He said: “Everybody I’ve asked have wanted to be part of it.

“Even guys from other clubs who didn’t play with him have joined in because Martin is one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet, such a talented football player too.

“Three guys from Forres didn’t play with him or against him but wanted to help anyway.

“It just shows what a friendly league the Highland League and the wider Scottish leagues are because they are prepared to support each other in difficult times.”

The squad of footballer past and present will be undertaking a 24-hour running challenge from noon on Saturday next week by each running a mile in a constant relay until the following day.

Current players including Formartine United’s Daniel Park, Cove’s Connor Scully and Inverurie Locos’ goalkeeper Andy Reid are joining the group of veterans.

Meanwhile, former Cove boss Kevin Tindal and former Peterhead midfielder Craig Cooper will be completing a mile between themselves.

And Adrian Thomson, better known as Edser, who was a stalwart behind the scenes at Cove as a youth coach and committee member will be walking his leg.

Mr Robertson added: “We’re going to have guys doing their mile all the way from Shetland down to about Arbroath, which is really incredible.”

Donations can be made online at www.justgiving.com/fundraising/keith-robertson6

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/2308490/highland-league-legends-band-together-to-support-strikers-mnd-fight/

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.671f20fc04c4d6411d194f20b88274a5.png

Steven Mackay focused on leading Brora Rangers to Highland League title after SPFL reconstruction blow

Brora Rangers player-manager Steven Mackay is focused on the challenge of retaining the Highland League title following the collapse of league reconstruction talks.

The Highland League champions were denied the chance to go up through the pyramid play-off, which was cancelled when the SPFL season was ended early due to coronavirus.

Brora had hoped league reconstruction could open a pathway into the Scottish league for them along with Lowland League winners Kelty Hearts, however, plans for a 14-10-10-10 setup failed to receive enough support from the 42 SPFL clubs.

Mackay is refusing to dwell on the verdict and is already targeting back-to-back titles to give the Cattachs another tilt at promotion next term.

Mackay said: “I’m disappointed we didn’t get into the league, but we will go again this season whenever it starts and try to get up through the play-offs.

“It’s not the outcome we desired, but at least we’ve got closure now.

“It’s been such a rollercoaster for us and Kelty especially, as we’ve been hanging in the balance and waiting for a decision we couldn’t really influence.

“We don’t agree with it, but we accept it and now we focus on getting back into the Highland League. I’m missing football that much I’m just desperate to get back. Now it’s the Highland League, the challenge is to try and win it again.”

Mackay is braced for the new Highland League season starting no early than October, adding: “Whenever it starts again remains to be seen, we are not too sure if that will be any time soon.

“The Championship has been announced in starting in October, so I would imagine we would follow after that.

“We’re about to go into phase two of exiting lockdown. I would love to see it start before October, but I just can’t see it.”

Mackay is already making primitive plans to add to his squad for next season, adding: “Everyone is signed up. That was something we had been fairly organised with prior to Covid-19, we had got everyone tied up before anyone else came sniffing.

“We would like to supplement that with a couple of additional signings.

“We are speaking to some players, but the financial planning is really difficult. Every club will be the same, you’re just making it based on assumptions.

“It makes it difficult to speak to players about contracts when you don’t know what your budget is.

“We are having tentative conversations with some players. We have identified a list of a few players we would be keen on taking on board.

“They would supplement our squad in the areas we are trying to strengthen and create competition for places. Hopefully, that will develop in the next few weeks.”

The Press and Journal

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.aeead319e84491c4ce670e2d8341471f.png

Keith chairman Andy Troup is hopeful of an October start for the Highland League after Scotland moved into phase three of its lockdown restrictions.

Although the resumption of non-professional contact sports is not due before July 31, indoor hospitality – vital for Highland League clubs – is permitted from July 15 with guidelines in place.

A further update is due from the Scottish Government on July 30, however, the Championship, League One and League Two are all slated for an October start.

“I’m in constant dialogue with the league,” said Troup. “I’m good friends with the secretary and I’m on the management committee. I always said I thought it would be January but I didn’t think we would be in phase three already.

“October would be fantastic but obviously the most important thing is people’s safety. There’s a lot to be considered by October.

“We’re waiting to guidelines on what things can be put in place at the ground. Do we need hand sanitiser, two-metre markings around the ground? There will be stuff that has to be changed and hopefully the costs won’t be too severe.”

Troup noted the release from the Scottish FA last week, stating elite clubs could reduce their testing from twice a week to once from Monday. With the cost at £50 a test insurmountable for Highland League clubs, Troup is optimistic of a further reduction come the autumn.

“No Highland League club would be able to pay for that,” said Troup. “But by the end of September or start of October, it might be down to zero (testing).

“Another big factor is the hospitality side. We wouldn’t survive just on our crowds coming to games. We pride ourselves on what we offer and that’s testament to people coming back time and again. It’s key for the football club moving forward in keeping the lights on.”

Troup has been working with the club’s commercial team on various innovative sponsorship schemes, in a bid to keep businesses on board despite the financial hurt they will have suffered during the pandemic.

He said: “We have come up with a few ideas to make things cheaper for businesses, as we know they have had a hard time as well. We know it’s important to keep them on board for the future, rather than take money off them when we know they don’t have it.”

Players and staff agreed to a pay freeze when lockdown began and they will not be paid again until football resumes. Troup has seen the running costs vastly reduce and has been able to give the go-ahead to infrastructure upgrades at Kynoch Park.

The boardroom has been renovated, the pitch improved, new doors put on the turnstiles and the iconic gates resprayed and repainted, with volunteers providing the backbone of the workforce.

Troup said: “No football club would be able to survive without its volunteers. Without them, you wouldn’t have clubs in the Highland League. They do it for the love of the club.”

The Press and Journal

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.f06bf880e3ca8eba672c4825ac0af0f1.png

Turriff United manager Kris Hunter says the need for bubbles and testing makes Highland League return impossible at the moment

Turriff United manager Kris Hunter does not believe a solution has yet been found to allow the Highland League to start.

Although the Scottish Premiership has resumed without fans this month, down the division's things are more challenging.

Championship, League One and Two clubs are set to get their campaigns underway in the League Cup on October 6 with league seasons starting 11 days later. However, breaches of coronavirus protocol by Aberdeen and Celtic players have led to concerns that the lower leagues, predominantly made up of part-time clubs, may be delayed.

The Highland League does not have a start date, but with clubs unable to operate in bio-secure bubble-like full-time sides and supporters being allowed through the turnstiles a financial necessity, Hunter believes the league is in a tricky spot.

The Haughs boss said: “It is impossible for part-time clubs to have bubbles like full-time clubs. It’s something like £50 per person per test, so we can’t go down that path. But if we do see the rate of infection continue to decrease then maybe we could start without tests.

“There are things we could do when it comes to distancing and sanitising, but it’s a highly contagious virus and it’s difficult to be able to plan to get back. Nobody saw this coming and I don’t think anybody has the answers.

“I hope we can get football back, but my worry is the longer it goes on the harder it will be. We can’t start without fans or hospitality as clubs wouldn’t survive.”

The Press and Journal

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.8a93ce72c95650dc040e631139a8af4e.png

Shortened 16-game Highland League campaign to begin on October 17

The Highland League has confirmed the 2020-21 season will comprise of just 16 games, with teams facing each other just once.

Each club will have eight home and eight away fixtures, with a start date of October 17 pencilled in the subject to government approval.

Last season’s Highland League Cup semi-finals will take place in November, with this season’s competition to involve a group stage which will commence during the early stages of the new campaign.

Brora Rangers were declared last season’s champions having amassed a 13-point league when the campaign was cut short due to coronavirus, with the remaining league positions not recorded.

The Press and Journal

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.b7134cdf77c9724b682349af04293ffa.png

Nairn County chairman says £600 Covid mitigation grant ‘goes a long way’ for Highland League clubs

Highland League clubs will benefit from a grant of around £600 each to fund Covid-19 mitigation measures at their grounds.

The money has been made available by the Scottish Football Partnership in order to ensure all clubs’ grounds are compliant with Covid regulations by the time the new season starts on October 17.

Nairn County chairman Donald Matheson says the financial support will help his club with the purchase of items such as sanitiser, fogging devices and sterilisation sprays.

Matheson said: “It certainly goes a long way. Some of the stuff looked really expensive when we saw the price of it.

“It all helps – and hopefully it gets us back playing sooner rather than later.

“I purchased stuff about a month ago, so we have sanitisers in the home, away and referees’ changing rooms, as well as the boardroom, office and toilet block.

“For players and supporters coming into the ground, I think the foot-activated sanitisers would be the way to go in that respect.

“It just gives people a bit more confidence.

“We still don’t really know what’s happening when it comes to supporters, changing room, shower facilities.

“It’s all still up in the air. All we can do is try and get as much in place as we can.”

The grant was awarded to the Highland League by the Scottish Football Partnership, whose chief operating officer Stuart McCaffrey enjoyed a successful eight-year stint with Caley Thistle.

Matheson says the organisation has been a helpful source of support to Nairn in the past, adding: “Stuart at the Scottish Football Partnership was contacted by the league secretary, and he came up with this award.

“It’s very generous of them – they are very good to the Highland League.

“We have used them in the past to help with our toilet block and our semi-automatic sprinkler system at the park.

“They are there to help clubs across all divisions. Once Rod Houston contacted them, they approved it within a very short space of time.

“Everybody has to buy the stuff and then submit the receipts before getting the money back.”

The Press & Journal

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.fb9ed8533fafe24e08f00ed4244132e2.png

Highland League will not start without fans, says Keith FC chairman Andy Troup

Keith FC chairman Andy Troup has reiterated the Highland League will not start without fans in stadiums.

The season is due to begin on October 17 but Troup admits to being left deflated by the First Minister’s announcement of further restrictions yesterday, in a bid to curb the spread of the virus in Scotland.

The date of October 5, for a phased return of fans to grounds in Scotland, looks likely to be pushed back.

Troup stressed it was too early to make any judgement calls on whether the start of the season would be impact and the League Management Committee, which he is a member of, may have to meet sooner than the October date they had planned.

He also shed light the extent of the work league secretary Rod Houston and his assistant Graham Wilson had done, to ensure clubs could prepare themselves for a return to training and matches.

He said: “It’s totally unfeasible (without crowds) – no Highland League club would survive if they did that. If we had got that money from James Anderson, that SPFL clubs got, we may have been able to do something.

“When we first went into lockdown, we said we would not start the league unless crowds were allowed back into the ground. That was reiterated at the last LMC meeting and that’s still the case.

“I’m deflated because Rod Houston and Graham Wilson have done so much work behind-the-scenes and it could be all for nothing. I can’t thank those two guys enough.”

Houston and Wilson have prepared extensive documentation for each club to outline protocols to put in place at their grounds, with clubs appointing a Covid officer responsible for their implementation.

Troup holds that role at Keith and attended their friendly against Banks o’Dee at Kynoch Park at the weekend.

He added: “The stuff the Highland League have put out to clubs to ensure they’re compliant is phenomenal. Every Highland League club has been working on it for weeks.

“I feel we’re safer than a lot of businesses that are (still) going ahead. It’s not done and dusted yet and as it stands, October 17 is still a date we have until we have another discussion or further announcements are made.”

MORE FROM THE PRESS AND JOURNAL

The Press & Journal

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.d103b798e9acbddfe6d6b637159ef56a.png

Martin Maclean reckons uncertainty hangs over the format of Brora Rangers’ season.

Brora faces the possibility of completing their Betfred Cup campaign, with games against Hibernian, Cove Rangers, Dundee and Forfar, and then having no league action for a considerable period afterwards.

The Highland League has postponed the start of their season until November 28 at the earliest, however that date could be pushed back further should it prove impossible to have spectators in grounds. Clubs have already stated they will not start the season until fans are present.

Steven Mackay’s side are due to face Hibs on October 7, Dundee on October 10, Cove on October 13 and then the Highland League Cup semi-final with Buckie Thistle on October 17. Their final Betfred Cup group fixture comes against Forfar on November 10.

“At the moment we have got four games plus the Highland League Cup semi-final from last season,” said Brora midfielder Martin Maclean. “That’s at least five games and potentially a final. Who knows what happens with the league.

“We’ve got three games in six days then one or two for the next six weeks. It’s just the uncertainty; if we didn’t have the Highland League Cup when we’d just be waiting for the league to start.

“Most teams (in the Highland League) seem to have decided unless fans can get in then it can’t go ahead, which is understandable.

“Everyone was glad to get back training and when friendlies started it was good because you’re getting back to some sort of normality. There was then talk of fans being allowed in but it just seems to have taken a big backward step in the last couple of weeks.”

The lack of crowds also means the Cattachs will miss out on bumper pay-days, from the trip to Easter Road and having Dundee at Dudgeon Park.

Brora players will have to be tested ahead of the Hibs game, due to them facing a Premiership team that have been regularly testing their players. Ross County chairman Roy MacGregor has offered Brora, Caley Thistle and Elgin City use of their testing facilities to spare them the expense of doing it themselves.

Maclean added: “We’ve got James Pickles coming over from Orkney, so there’s the logistics of getting everyone tested at the same time. But if that’s what we have to do then we have to follow the guidelines.

“It’s good that they are in a position to be able to do that. If they weren’t I’m not sure what would happen. It’s a big cost and responsibility for the club, particularly if they are not getting anything out of the game in terms of a crowd or money.”

The Press & Journal

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Jamie Durent: Success will be subjective in the coming Highland League campaign – the real triumph is getting the season started

November 23, 2020, 12:00 pm

Many in the Highland League wondered if there was going to be a new season.

But the start of the new term on Saturday will bring a sense of relief and anticipation, giving the football back to communities after eight months without it.

However, there will also be scepticism about how the campaign could pan out.

It will not be a familiar campaign for those involved, with only half of the traditional fixture list being scheduled and one of the league’s regulars – Forres Mechanics – opting not to compete.

The decision by the Can-Cans to take a year out has been put down to health and financial concerns.

It took some by surprise, but there was also a degree of understanding, given the travelling between areas in different levels of the Scottish Government’s coronavirus restrictions.

Forres has agreed to release players from their contracts on the condition of a verbal agreement that they will come back next season when Mechanics resume playing.

Joe Gauld (Huntly), Ryan Farquhar and Aaron Hamilton (Deveronvale) and James Ross (Golspie Sutherland) have all found new clubs, while Allan McPhee is also in-demand.

But they will not have been alone in having those concerns.

Uncertainty over when supporters might be back into grounds and the financial shortfall that creates will weigh heavily on the minds of chairmen and directors across the league.

Players agreeing to play for expenses only will be a godsend to many and a sign of how determined the players are to get back into action.

Some will have been very well-remunerated by their respective clubs and for them to forego that will not have been an easy decision.

Speaking to players, managers and club officials over the last week – to compile our Highland League supplement – in general, you garnered a sense of excitement over the league resuming on Saturday.

The situation has been out of everyone’s control and when the first lockdown was imposed there may have been an assumption it would be a temporary thing.

However, the Highland League took a bold step, which the rest of Scotland was soon to follow, in declaring the season over in the middle of March and naming Brora Rangers as champions.

They delayed the start of the season in September to allow for spectators coming in and there were fears they may have to shelve the November 28 date as well.

But with 11 of the 16 clubs being able to welcome spectators back to their stadiums, they agreed to forge a path forward and get the season underway.

With a campaign of just 15 league games and a smattering of cup games, it is going to be a sprint to the finish line.

A strong start for any team could see it in contention for a finish which might have been unfathomable in a regular season.

But success this season will be subjective.

To some, just getting the first game underway when Saturday comes around will be a triumph in itself.

______________________________________________________________________________-

50510306_Highlandleague.thumb.png.118e2c06e400c1f93b00946f412c9257.png

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/2671786/jamie-durent-success-will-be-subjective-in-the-coming-highland-league-campaign-the-real-triumph-is-getting-the-season-started/

• Subscriber

Covid in Scotland: Forres Mechanics take a break from league

Highlandmp.thumb.jpg.8ea834736338fe094f212369c639c2da.jpg

A famous old name will be missing when the Highland League makes a belated return on Saturday.

For the first time in more than 100 years, Forres Mechanics will not be competing in a league season due to ongoing concerns over the risks of Covid-19.

The Mechanics - which at the time meant simply those involved in manual labour or a trade - were formed in 1884, making them the oldest existing football club in the north of Scotland.

They settled at Mosset Park and were among the founders of the Highland League. Of those pioneers, only Forres and Clachnacuddin remain today.

The Mechanics or the Can Cans as they are also known, and their distinctive chocolate and gold colours quickly found a place in the affections of their home town in Moray.

In 1903 a referee - according to Forres fans at least - had been overly hard on the Mechanics.

An unruly gang waited for him after the match and he was chased to the train station, all the while being showered with stones and mud.

Such incidents were not unusual at the time, but perhaps more newsworthy was the club's goalkeeper.

In his book on the Mechanics, The First Hundred Years, Colin G Watson tells of Orion of Aberdeen arriving in Forres for a 1900 Scottish Cup tie and learning the keeper went by the name of "Stump".

"But the visitors must still have received quite a shock to discover that the reason for his nickname was that he had a wooden leg," said Watson.

Hugh Fraser was clearly no mean keeper either with a keenly fought tie ending 1-1.

Foreign Mechanics

Following World War Two, the Cans were boosted by Polish soldiers stationed in the area. Among them was Henry Wisniewski, reckoned by some to be the finest goalkeeper in the north.

Such was the Polish influence in the Forres team that some worthies were said to have labelled them the Foreign Mechanics.

Wisniewski was still between the posts for the Can Cans when Celtic arrived in town for a Scottish Cup tie in 1957.

H2.thumb.png.a38c2e50cfaa637e4add6de32d89483e.png

Looking on from a distance on that day when Mosset Park was bursting at the seams was four-year-old Jim Mackinnon.

He watched the game from a small area just off nearby North Road.

"What I witnessed in February 1957 on my uncle's shoulder was a swarm of green and white and chocolate and gold hoops," said Jim.

Celtic would win 5-0 but the crowd, colours and noise captivated the young fan. Jim was hooked.

He was at Mosset Park in 1964 when the famous Dundee team of the time arrived in Moray. The Tayside club had reached the semi-final of the European Cup a year earlier.

The plucky Mechanics scored three but Dundee hit them for six.

Jim said: "We were the only team to take three goals off Dundee in their Scottish Cup run other than Rangers, who beat them in the final."

'Too small'

Jim had only one ambition: to pull on the famous shirt and represent the Mechanics.

And as a teenage player, he almost made it.

He said: "I was supposed to play against Inverness Thistle at Kingsmills and the club secretary, Willie Mackenzie, came to see my mum.

"She thought - rightly - that I was too small."

H3.thumb.png.ee9a7c973ff72299d0f0f52e98d76b75.png

Jim would go on to become the Scottish government's chief planner and even be honoured for his work by the Queen.

But he said: "Would I have traded chief planner for playing for the Mechanics? At 16, absolutely. And the CBE."

Forres remains close to his heart. Trips home were timed to coincide with games at Mosset Park and he would join fellow aficionados for a regular "Mechanics lunch".

He said: "I remain a proud Mechanista with a Cans tie, scarf, beanie and baseball cap plus a tattered jersey in the definitive chocolate and gold hoops from the 1950s. I can still get into it...just."

'Respect decision'

There are no Mechanics lunches or games for now.

On the eve of the delayed Highland League campaign, the club announced they would be withdrawing from the 2020/21 season due to the pandemic.

The club said: "This decision has not been taken lightly but we have put above all other considerations the health, well-being and safety of our players, staff and their immediate families along with the football club as a whole and equally as important, the wider community of Forres and Moray."

For the first time since 1901, a Highland League season will kick-off without Forres. In a town where the football club is part of the glue that helps to bring people together, their absence will be keenly felt.

Highland League secretary Rod Houston said: "We're disappointed but we understand how Forres arrived at their decision.

"We gave every club time and we respect the decision. There will be no penalties applied."

He added: "Forres were founder members of the league and we look forward to welcoming them back."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-55085490

Archived