The better place to talk football.

Highland League

football forum

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
16 minutes ago, tlr said:

... By basically becoming a senior outfit's colt team. Fort have been abysmal for years now, no idea what has sparked the sudden surge in interest.

I've got a soft spot for Wick Academy, I hope they can finish higher this season than last season but the Highland League is tough travelling away for poor old Fort William.

889718511_download(2).png.f38fcff618271648cd2837e9019bf8a1.png

111563156_download(1).thumb.png.ec0ca5276d5cfefb359b04436bdd51b3.png 

29 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I've got a soft spot for Wick Academy, I hope they can finish higher this season than last season but the Highland League is tough travelling away for poor old Fort William.

889718511_download(2).png.f38fcff618271648cd2837e9019bf8a1.png

111563156_download(1).thumb.png.ec0ca5276d5cfefb359b04436bdd51b3.png 

... and Wick and Brora, remember when the latter made the play off final (v. Cowdenbeath I think?) a couple of years back and there was more than a slight worry going up would be the end of them as the closest away day would have been Montrose. Do have a fair bit of respect though for a lot of Highland League outfits, scraping by with a very small pool of players and nowhere to poach them from, thousands of miles a year in away trips, a dismal climate to have a August-April league in and to top it all off a region which isn't natural football territory. Have only managed to do matches at Inverurie and Clachnacuddin but loved both. Now, if only you could drink at Scottish grounds...

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, tlr said:

Do have a fair bit of respect though for a lot of Highland League outfits, scraping by with a very small pool of players and nowhere to poach them from, thousands of miles a year in away trips,

Aye, I think I mentioned here before on another thread but I travelled to Wick by coach when I was offered work up there for two weeks doing security work and it took around 11 hours  to get there but the scenery was gobsmacking, up mountain roads and you could look out the coach window and see the highlands in all its beauty.

When I arrived at the hotel and that night I sat in the bar and was talking to the landlord over a pint and he talked about the Highland League and Wick in general, he said that he goes to the home matches at Harmsworth Park regularly but going to away matches is non-exsitant for him because of the travelling time, he said he managed to travel to Brora Rangers a couple of times but not any other teams.

Like you say you have to have respect for the Highland League teams and the cost for the clubs must be hard and even paying wages to the players but then you have to give the players respect for accepting it without a whimper when you hear of the wages like Pogba gets and he wants away again it does my head in.  

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, tlr said:

By basically becoming a senior outfit's colt team. Fort have been abysmal for years now, no idea what has sparked the sudden surge in interest.

I see they came back to earth with an almighty bang, they lost at home to Inverurie Loco Works 1-4 O.o

download.thumb.png.4cb3d2c4588e04d44db6b725aa001a8e.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
Saturday 10 Aug 2019
Breedon Highland Football League
Deveronvale FC
 4  v  0  
Huntly FC
Forres Mechanics FC
 1  v  3  
Brora Rangers FC
Fraserburgh FC
 6  v  0  
Clachnacuddin FC
Keith FC
 2  v  8  
Buckie Thistle FC
Lossiemouth FC
 0  v  3  
Rothes FC
Strathspey Thistle FC
 2  v  0  
Fort William FC
Turriff United FC
 1  v  6  
Inverurie Loco Works FC
Wick Academy FC
 0  v  5  
Formartine United FC

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
  1. Brora Rangers FC                                         
  2. Buckie Thistle FC
  3. Clachnacuddin FC
  4. Deveronvale FC
  5. Formartine United FC
  6. Forres Mechanics FC
  7. Fort William FC
  8. Fraserburgh FC
  9. Huntly FC
  10. Inverurie Loco Works FC
  11. Keith FC
  12. Lossiemouth FC
  13. Nairn County FC
  14. Rothes FC
  15. Strathspey Thistle FC
  16. Turriff United FC
  17. Wick Academy FC

Below is a map showing the locations of all Highland Football League Member Clubs.
Click on the markers on the map or on the links to view more information on each Club.

CLUBS

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.b5b4305f3840490ae0122c172d094d5c.png

Clachnacuddin fire: 'Significant' blaze at Highland League club's stadium

_110292617_fireclach.jpg

A fire has damaged the home ground of Highland League football club Clachnacuddin FC.

Nearby roads were closed after police were alerted to the incident at Grant Street Park, Inverness, at about 09:25.

Clach said it was originally described as a small fire in the home changing room, but had turned out to be "more significant" than originally thought.

The club said an electrical fault appeared to be the cause of the blaze, which had caused "catastrophic damage".

"This is a huge setback for our club, but we will be back on our feet in no time and will continue to ensure that the club continues as a cornerstone of the community and football in Inverness and the Highlands," it said.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service sent four units to deal with the incident.

Clach thanked fire crews for their "swift and professional actions" which had "prevented a much more severe outcome".

The club added: "We are extremely grateful that nobody was hurt or involved in what could have developed into an extremely dangerous situation."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-50902936

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.caf8ff23c953f152a326f0bf1f44c585.png

Morrison’s Brora career at an end

Gavin Morrison has called time on his Brora Rangers career after having his contract cancelled by the club by mutual consent.

The midfielder has moved to Dunfermline due to work commitments and his change in work and family circumstances has led to him being granted his release by the Highland League leaders.

Brora player-manager Steven Mackay has reluctantly granted the 30-year-old’s request and is disappointed at seeing Morrison leave the club.

He said: “It is not a decision that Gavin or I took lightly and we had many conversations on the matter but the fact that he lives and works in Dunfermline and was commuting to games alone was making it difficult for him to prepare correctly and perform.

“I admire the fact that he has been able to do it since the start of the season but the arrangement was no longer sustainable.

His first child is due any day which was making an already challenging set up, even more complex. Therefore our decision to release him, although very difficult, is the correct one.

“It is never easy when a player leaves our football club and in Gavin, we are saying farewell to a player that has given more than most to Brora and has been instrumental in bringing all the success that we have all enjoyed since season 2013-14.

“League titles, cup triumphs and some incredible Scottish Cup journeys that will stay with us all forever. A mainstay in our midfield, a leader, a top professional and a hugely popular figure in our dressing room who will be missed by us all but he goes with our very best wishes.”

Club Chairman William Powrie added: “Gavin has recently moved from Inverness down to Dunfermline for work purposes and the weekly journey back to the Highlands was proving arduous and far from the ideal preparation for a match.

“Gavin will be missed by all involved at the club, but he has enjoyed much success with the Cattachs including a brace of Highland League titles and cup successes.

“We are very fortunate that we have current players that can fill Gavin’s boots, as we all enter the business end of the season and set our sights on the league title and beyond.”

Morrison commented on his departure on Twitter yesterday.

He wrote: “Not an easy decision to make but just want to thank everyone at Brora Rangers for understanding my situation. A club that I now love and that has given me so much. I wish nothing but the best for Brora going forward. Hopefully, see you soon.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/1974656/morrison-leaves-brora/

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.8113104ef4498baa5bef65808bb02f18.png

Clach supporters launch a fundraising campaign for temporary changing rooms after devastating blaze

Alex-Chisholm-Clach-8-558x372.jpg

Supporters of Inverness Clachnacuddin FC have launched a fundraising campaign for temporary accommodation to allow the club to return home following a devastating Christmas Eve fire.

The Grant Street club felt the full force of the blaze as extensive damage was done to the club’s home changing rooms and boardroom.

The fire, which started in the laundry area of the Mercury House building, forced the relocation of home matches to Canal Park, the home of Highland Rugby Club.

But now, the Clachnacuddin Supporters Trust has launched an online fundraising campaign to generate £5,000 to create temporary changing rooms, as well as funding improvements when renovation works get underway.

Yesterday, the total stood at more than 35% of their desired total as fans and people with connections to the club dug deep.

Club chairman Alex Chisholm hailed the efforts of the Inverness community to ensure the club could continue to host fixtures in the city, as well as aiding in efforts to get their Grant Street facility back up and running.

PJ-SMc-241219-01-07-e1578924014189-620x3

977613264_download(2).thumb.png.1bb3ca013d7d56953b191db8c30bf09e.png

Mr Chisholm said: “We have now played a couple of games at Canal Park and it has been a good attraction. It is a fantastic facility and has worked really well.

“Different rules between the sports have led to setting up slightly differently and curbing the sale of alcohol at set times, but it has been very good and it has strengthened relationships.

“But we do want to get home and back to Grant Street.”

Mr Chisholm said plans are progressing to renovate the fire-stricken stadium with meetings taking place this week with insurers.

He added: “It has taken a bit of time to get to this stage but things aren’t going to come together overnight and it just shows the extent of the damage, but the support we have been shown has been tremendous.

“The trust coming forward like this with their ideas is what Clach is all about.

“This will firstly get us back there and secondly will allow us to carry out some improvements when we do get there.”

Clach hopes to return to Grant Street for their fixture with Nairn County on Saturday, February 15, however, Mr Chisholm said this was not fixed in stone.

Donations towards the fundraising efforts can be granted through a dedicated GoFundMe page.

The Press and Journal

Archived