talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 Silly Season 2020

football forum

• Subscriber

Because it's almost THAT time of the year...

Will Ocon be the first to start the domino effect of driver changes for 2020?

Who will take Mercedes second seat?

What will happen with Haas driver lineup? 

Will Hülkenberg leave Renault?

Who will replace Gasly in RB?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Is Bottas definitely leaving Mercedes then? I can't see Max going there if so as much as it would be a phenomenal fight between he and Lewis in 2 excellent cars.

Can we lose Grosjean please? 

Surely Albon or Kvyat (most likely him) will replace Gasly? Perhaps Gasly to Renault if Hulk leaves?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Noooo just a speculation at this point! 

Was wondering as well because Hamilton reportedly said he wouldn't mind Max joining him at Mercedes so it could prove how good a driver he is as opposed to just being in a good car. I stress reportedly said; I haven't seen any direct quotes!

If it were to happen, I can only imagine there'd be a lot of controversy and immense rivalry like when Rosberg was there.

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Was wondering as well because Hamilton reportedly said he wouldn't mind Max joining him at Mercedes so it could prove how good a driver he is as opposed to just being in a good car. I stress reportedly said; I haven't seen any direct quotes!

If it were to happen, I can only imagine there'd be a lot of controversy and immense rivalry like when Rosberg was there.

Yeah I read that too; however, I think it's very unlikely.

Helmut Marko indirectly confirmed Max's release clause in the contract and apparently tomorrow is the last day when it's "mathematically possible" - to be specific, in order for the clause to activate Vettel would have to win the race tomorrow and Max would have to score no points. Meaning the clause is most likely about Max being in the Top 3 in the driver's standings after the first half of the season. Even if that would be the case, I don't think Max will leave RBR. He knows he's #1 driver there and they'd do anything for him; now with Honda and RB15 making massive progress enabling him to win races (and to challenge for the pole as of today), the whole package works well and he should have a realistic chance to win the title next season. 

• Subscriber

I cant see too many changes. Kvyat seems most likely to go back to Red Bull with Gasly getting another year in Toro Rosso. Renault may replace Hulkenberg. I think Grosjean will be replaced by Ocon, or someone else if Ocon gets the Mercedes seat. If Bottas leaves Mercedes then Renault or Haas would be his likely options, but I cant see Renault affording the wages for him and Ricciardo. Bottas could also end up at Williams, who will surely sack off Kubica. Racing Point will probably stay with Perez and Stroll.

• Administrator

Would any more youngsters/newbies come in to the field? Wonder if Williams would look at replacing Kubica with a youngster to get some experience in. 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah I read that too; however, I think it's very unlikely.

Helmut Marko indirectly confirmed Max's release clause in the contract and apparently tomorrow is the last day when it's "mathematically possible" - to be specific, in order for the clause to activate Vettel would have to win the race tomorrow and Max would have to score no points. Meaning the clause is most likely about Max being in the Top 3 in the driver's standings after the first half of the season. Even if that would be the case, I don't think Max will leave RBR. He knows he's #1 driver there and they'd do anything for him; now with Honda and RB15 making massive progress enabling him to win races (and to challenge for the pole as of today), the whole package works well and he should have a realistic chance to win the title next season. 

Yeah, it's a perfect match right now. If Red Bull weren't as competitive right now I think Max would angle for a move.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Would any more youngsters/newbies come in to the field? Wonder if Williams would look at replacing Kubica with a youngster to get some experience in. 

Could see them bringing Latifi in. Is challenging for the title in F2 this season, had a few tests for Williams and matched or even bettered Kubica's times and has a rich father who is willing to pay for the seat.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

For Gio you reckon? It'd be a shame if he's without a seat next season. 

Yeah... I think Kimi will fulfill his contract and stay one more year; and I'm not sure if Ferrari will keep Giovinazzi's seat at Sauber - I mean he hasn't been great (although he's most likely made look worse because of Kimi over-delivering) and they might be tempted to give a seat to someone else...

• Subscriber

I still think Red Bull are too stubborn to take somebody from outside of their junior driver programme. Things seem to have run dry outside of the four guys currently in F1 with Ticktum being fucked off, so maybe, but I think if they do go for someone outside the programme, they'll adopt a young driver to go into Toro Rosso and take it from there with them.

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I still think Red Bull are too stubborn to take somebody from outside of their junior driver programme. Things seem to have run dry outside of the four guys currently in F1 with Ticktum being fucked off, so maybe, but I think if they do go for someone outside the programme, they'll adopt a young driver to go into Toro Rosso and take it from there with them.

I'm pretty excited about Jüri Vips' potential. One of the most underrated drivers on the junior formula ladder and the biggest talent that Red Bull have in their junior programme, in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised to see him given a Toro Rosso seat soon though next year is most likely too soon.

4 hours ago, nudge said:

A few wild speculations:

Ocon to Mercedes.
Bottas to Red Bull.
Gasly to Renault.
Hülkenberg to Sauber.

I'd rather see Renault bring up Zhou than give Gasly a shot. Might be the unpopular choice, but itd be interesting than see Gasly.

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'd rather see Renault bring up Zhou than give Gasly a shot. Might be the unpopular choice, but itd be interesting than see Gasly.

All three Renault youngsters have been impressing so far this season. Don't think either of them will have enough super license points for the next season though - even if Renault decided to give one of them a shout in F1.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

All three Renault youngsters have been impressing so far this season. Don't think either of them will have enough super license points for the next season though - even if Renault decided to give one of them a shout in F1.

Yeah - I dont know anything about that, but I love the team we have, but I feel like something HAS to change. Is it possible that Cyril is gone?

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I dont know anything about that, but I love the team we have, but I feel like something HAS to change. Is it possible that Cyril is gone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence

As for Abiteboul - I don't know if it's possible but I think replacing him would surely be a step in the right direction.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Eco said:

Is this summer break when we start hearing about changes?

Yep. Usually one change in one team starts a domino effect in the rest of them xD 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yep. Usually one change in one team starts a domino effect in the rest of them xD 

So what's the likelihood we  hear of Gasly's demotion this month? 90%? 100%?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

So what's the likelihood we  hear of Gasly's demotion this month? 90%? 100%?

Hmmm I don't know. Yesterday Horner said that their intention is to keep him in the car until the end of the year but that they also badly need him to start realising more of the car's potential and start racing Mercedes and Ferrari instead of Saubers and McLarens. Earlier both Horner and Marko said that he's being given more time than they would normally give to a driver underperforming like that because they realise they rushed him into the team too early due to Ricciardo's departure. 

But at the moment I'd say it's 50/50. 

• Subscriber

My prediction is:-

Mercedes - Hamilton, Ocon

Ferrari - Vettel, Leclerc

Red Bull - Verstappen, Kvyatt

Mclaren - Sainz, Norris

Renault - Ricciardo, Bottas

Toro Rosso - Albon, Gasley

Racing Point - Stroll, Perez

Alfa Romeo - Raikkonnen, Giovanazi

Haas - Magnussen, Hulkenberg