talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 Silly Season 2020

football forum

• Subscriber

Been doing some reading on next year's driver market:

https://www.racefans.net/2019/07/31/silly-season-or-sensible-season-the-state-of-the-driver-market-for-2020/

Race Fans is a really good website for F1 stuff. Been following since it was called F1Fanatic back in 2008-2009. Very intelligent and insightful articles usually. Reliable information too.

Some of the key points:

- Mercedes will choose between Ocon and Bottas. Hamilton probably prefers Bottas to stay.

- Hulkenberg is likely to stay at Renault, but not impossible he could put himself in the frame for the second Red Bull seat, or more likely move to Formula E.

- Renault are considering Ocon (or Bottas if Ocon takes his seat at Mercedes) to partner Ricciardo instead of Hulkenberg. 

- One other team has expressed an interest in Ocon, probably Haas, who would look to replace Grosjean with Ocon. If Renault sign Ocon, Hulkenberg in the Haas with Magnussen is possible.

- Racing Point are most likely to keep Stroll and Perez.

- Ferrari and Red Bull are negotiating a Verstappen-Vettel swap deal. Max's father sees him moving to Ferrari at some point soon in his career and emulating Schumacher's achievements there. Apparently the chances that this swap happens, this year or next, are more than 50/50!

- Kvyat and Albon are both options to replace Gasly next year. Kvyat is the more likely option. If Red Bull dump Gasly altogether instead of giving him another chance in Toro Rosso, they could even return Buemi to F1 as Albon's team mate.

- McLaren have already confirmed Sainz and Norris for 2020.

- Raikkonen has a contract with Alfa Romeo for next year, and Giovinazzi is likely to keep his seat as Ferrari have no other academy drivers ready to put into that seat instead of him.

- Russell will stay with Williams, but Kubica won't stay on next year. Nicolas Latifi is the favourite to replace him due to his heavy financial backing and improved F2 results. Other current F2 drivers are also options including Nyck De Vries.

Interesting stuff, some more likely than others I'd say. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

- Ferrari and Red Bull are negotiating a Verstappen-Vettel swap deal. Max's father sees him moving to Ferrari at some point soon in his career and emulating Schumacher's achievements there. Apparently the chances that this swap happens, this year or next, are more than 50/50!

There have been rumours about Seb returning to Red Bull for quite some time, as he seems to stay close to his old colleagues. But he mentioned on several occasions that he'll either try to win a championship with Ferrari or quit altogether, no other options. So I really doubt it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
52 minutes ago, nudge said:

Autobild reports that Ocon is close to signing a two year deal with Renault! 

This news, along with Gunther Steiner's comments that they want an experienced driver and Haas "won't be a training ground", are making the incredible potential pairing of Magnussen and Hulkenberg at Haas edge closer to reality.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Vettel to Red Bull is happening. Lengthy discussions between Vettel and Red Bull executives in Hungary. :coffee:

Now that could make things very interesting.

Speculation: Seb goes back to Red Bull - Ricciardo to Ferrari? Albon back to TR, Gasly shown the door? Or he stays and Kvyat heads to Haas? Or Hülkenberg to Haas, Ocon to Renault, who then have a seat free if Hülkenberg leaves? My head hurts.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, nudge said:

Now that could make things very interesting.

Speculation: Seb goes back to Red Bull - Ricciardo to Ferrari? Albon back to TR, Gasly shown the door? Or he stays and Kvyat heads to Haas? Or Hülkenberg to Haas, Ocon to Renault, who then have a seat free if Hülkenberg leaves? My head hurts.

Max's contract is up this year. I still wouldn't rule out a straight swap, not that Red Bull would agree to that as a deal, but they might have no choice in Verstappen going to Ferrari, and then choose to get Vettel to replace him.

Mercedes: Hamilton/Bottas

Ferrari: Verstappen/Leclerc

Red Bull: Vettel/Albon

McLaren: Sainz/Norris

Renault: Ricciardo/Ocon

Haas: Hulkenberg/Magnussen

Racing Point: Perez/Stroll

Alfa Romeo: Raikkonen/Giovinazzi

Williams: Russell/Latifi

Toro Rosso: Kvyat/Gasly

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Max's contract is up this year. I still wouldn't rule out a straight swap, not that Red Bull would agree to that as a deal, but they might have no choice in Verstappen going to Ferrari, and then choose to get Vettel to replace him.

Mercedes: Hamilton/Bottas

Ferrari: Verstappen/Leclerc

Red Bull: Vettel/Albon

Renault: Ricciardo/Ocon

Haas: Hulkenberg/Magnussen

Alfa Romeo: Räikkönen/Giovinazzi

Williams: Russell/Latifi

Toro Rosso: Kvyat/Gasly

Max's contract runs out only at the end of 2020 though I believe? I really don't see him going to Ferrari next season; not sure why he would at this point tbh.

My wild speculation:

Mercedes: Hamilton/Russell

Ferrari: Leclerc/Ricciardo

Red Bull: Verstappen/Vettel

Renault: Ocon/Kvyat

Haas: Hülkenberg/Magnussen

Alfa Romeo: Raikkonen/Giovinazzi

Williams: Kubica/Latifi

Toro Rosso: Albon/Gasly

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Daddy wants him to drive for Ferrari and emulate Schumacher by all accounts.

I don't know; regardless if that's indeed what Jos wants, he also knows the status that Max holds at Red Bull and what a mess Ferrari are in comparison. I also just can't see Verstappen and Leclerc as teammates... Leclerc is Ferrari's darling and if he keeps on improving, I reckon Ferrari will look to sign a wingman for him instead of going for two potential title challengers in a team. I think Max going to Mercedes in 2021 after his contract runs out next year is more likely; especially if he feels that Red Bull won't be able to match his ambitions under the new regulations. I think a lot will also depend on Red Bull's and Honda's further development; so their performances next season could be crucial for his decision to stay or leave.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, nudge said:

I don't know; regardless if that's indeed what Jos wants, he also knows the status that Max holds at Red Bull and what a mess Ferrari are in comparison. I also just can't see Verstappen and Leclerc as teammates... Leclerc is Ferrari's darling and if he keeps on improving, I reckon Ferrari will look to sign a wingman for him instead of going for two potential title challengers in a team. I think Max going to Mercedes in 2021 after his contract runs out next year is more likely; especially if he feels that Red Bull won't be able to match his ambitions under the new regulations. I think a lot will also depend on Red Bull's and Honda's further development; so their performances next season could be crucial for his decision to stay or leave.

Do you see Verstappen and Vettel together in the Red Bull then? I dont think either of them would take too well to that, especially not Seb.

I'm also unsure on what Ferrari do in that scenario. Ricciardo hasn't exactly shone this year in the Renault, not that it's really fair to hold that against him. In my opinion, they'd more likely move heaven and earth to get Verstappen rather than have Leclerc and Ricciardo or any other pairing that sees them go without any of the three "elite" drivers Lewis, Max and Seb. Being Ferrari, they would take it as an insult.

Whatever happens, it will be interesting if any of these top guys move.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Do you see Verstappen and Vettel together in the Red Bull then? I dont think either of them would take too well to that, especially not Seb.

I'm also unsure on what Ferrari do in that scenario. Ricciardo hasn't exactly shone this year in the Renault, not that it's really fair to hold that against him. In my opinion, they'd more likely move heaven and earth to get Verstappen rather than have Leclerc and Ricciardo or any other pairing that sees them go without any of the three "elite" drivers Lewis, Max and Seb. Being Ferrari, they would take it as an insult.

Whatever happens, it will be interesting if any of these top guys move.

To be honest - yes; at least I can see it working better than Max and Charles at Ferrari which for me seems absolutely impossible. Verstappen has matured and is undoubtedly #1 in the team; Vettel is getting near to the end of his career but might still have the last go at one more title in a normal working environment without toxic internal politics even if he has to play second fiddle to Max. For Red Bull, it's a great chance to have the lineup of the biggest talent and an experienced 4x champion; this also gives them opportunity to develop their youngsters at Toro Rosso for an extra year or two without having to put them in a Red Bull car too early again.

Quite excited to see what happens! 

• Administrator

That's interesting about Vettel if true. I think it was only a few weeks ago or a tad longer that Vettel was saying he was happy at Ferrari and wouldn't leave right now. 

Surely Verstappen is the only driver good enough that would realistically go to Ferrari to fill that gap?

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Tommy said:
So apparently the signing of Nico Hülkenberg by Haas GP is a fact, but won't be announced until the Italian GP. 

Hülkenberg & Magnussen in one team. Ooof. 

To be fair that's a pretty strong lineup... And probably can't get worse than Magnussen & Grosjean anyway xD 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

To be fair that's a pretty strong lineup... And probably can't get worse than Magnussen & Grosjean anyway xD 

But they don't like each other at all. Günter Steiner needs to somehow get them into a room together first to talk things out. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

But they don't like each other at all. Günter Steiner needs to somehow get them into a room together first to talk things out. 

I don't think teammates should expected to be friends or even like each other though and I have a feeling that all those post-race comments are just being blown out of proportion by the media anyway... As long as they are professional enough to do their job I don't see any problem with it. Now if there's an incident on track between them then I can see things getting worse though xD 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I don't think teammates should expected to be friends or even like each other though and I have a feeling that all those post-race comments are just being blown out of proportion by the media anyway... As long as they are professional enough to do their job I don't see any problem with it. Now if there's an incident on track between them then I can see things getting worse though xD 

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel-1/news/lutsch-mir-die-eier-weiter-funkstille-zwischen-magnussen-und-huelkenberg-19070408

They don't get along, but yes, they don't need to be best buddies anyway. We saw how that can end up between Hamilton and Rosberg. 

Netflix must be very excited for season 3 though xD

Archived