talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 Silly Season 2020

football forum

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly was expecting, and happy about Ocon joining Renault. His story is one of the bests it seems, and I'm happy he's back in F1 next year. 

If it's Nico and Mags next year on the same team, that can certainly cause some problems internally,. 

• Subscriber

Also interesting rumours regarding Bottas/Ocon/Mercedes: apparently Toto was willing to show Bottas the door and give Ocon his seat but Hamilton and the engineers (!) were against it. 

Just now, nudge said:

Also interesting rumours regarding Bottas/Ocon/Mercedes: apparently Toto was willing to show Bottas the door and give Ocon his seat but Hamilton and the engineers (!) were against it. 

So strange to me. 

Whereas replacing Hulk with Ocon makes sense to me, Replacing Bottas with Ocon makes absolute zero sense. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

So strange to me. 

Whereas replacing Hulk with Ocon makes sense to me, Replacing Bottas with Ocon makes absolute zero sense. 

Replacing Hülkenberg with Ocon only makes sense to me in terms of finances as Nico is a big earner and they already spent a lot of money to get Ricciardo last year. With the aim to reduce the spending it makes sense to replace one of the high earning drivers with a "cheaper" one. When it comes to skills and talent I personally think Ocon is overrated. 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Replacing Hülkenberg with Ocon only makes sense to me in terms of finances as Nico is a big earner and they already spent a lot of money to get Ricciardo last year. With the aim to reduce the spending it makes sense to replace one of the high earning drivers with a "cheaper" one. When it comes to skills and talent I personally think Ocon is overrated. 

and for that we will see. 

But also in terms of financing, I think a French Company getting a young French driver is a smart move. I like Hulk, I really do, but having never been on the podium and at 32, I'm not sure you can get any more out of him, and if that's the case, you need to move on and getting a young, talented, French driver is the smart play here IMO. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

and for that we will see. 

But also in terms of financing, I think a French Company getting a young French driver is a smart move. I like Hulk, I really do, but having never been on the podium and at 32, I'm not sure you can get any more out of him, and if that's the case, you need to move on and getting a young, talented, French driver is the smart play here IMO. 

I'll make a bold prediction and say that Renault will not be in F1 (as a works team) come 2022. 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'll make a bold prediction and say that Renault will not be in F1 (as a works team) come 2022. 

That is bold, especially with some of the rumored changes which seemed to be geared more towards making it more a competitive field. 

• Subscriber

Yeah if Renault dont hit the front under the new regulations I can see them packing it in again.

As for Bottas, I'm not surprised by those rumours. Toto wants the best two drivers in the cars because he's such a perfectionist. Bottas is the perfect number two for Mercedes though, he is fast enough, often enough to reliably pick up the slack when Hamilton has a bad day, generally at least. But he also isn't going to cause a Rosberg situation in the team because he isn't quite as good or consistent. The perfect team mate for Hamilton but not for the spectator unfortunately, as much as I like Valtteri.

Steiner about Kubica: I don't know what Robert wants to do next year. I respect him very much, we talk sometimes, but his plans are not clear for us, it's a difficult situation, we won't decide for him. The main candidates for this moment are Grosjean and Hulkenberg.

Imagine if they pick Kubica over Hülkenberg xD

45 minutes ago, Tommy said:
magine if they pick Kubica over Hülkenberg xD

43 minutes ago, nudge said:

The very definition of "silly season" xD 

TBF, picking Grosjean over Hulk would still be considered 'silly seasson' material. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So I just had an idea. Alfa are maybe looking to replace Gio, but they need someone with Ferrari ties. 

Boom, sorted. 

Does it make sense for Ferrari though? I mean they are probably looking to put their talents into that Sauber seat to give them F1 experience and to evaluate them. Wehrlein surely doesn't fit into that category anymore? 

Kimi & Hülkenberg would be perfect really. With a view of Ferrari giving a Sauber seat one year later for Mick if he improves in F2 next season.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So apparently Karun Chandhok took Antonio Giovannazi for a spin around Monza, and Antonio's dad told him that his son already signed for Alfa Romeo next season. 

Well that's a pity. 

Archived