talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga 2019/20 - Week 1 Fixtures - 16th-19th August 2019

football forum

Flippin eck! One defeat and this? Gloom and doom! O.oxD

I remember two or three seasons back, actually, no. It was the summer before Luis Enrique's "Triplete" where many on TFF were bellowing gloom and doom with an end to an era, the finale of the cycle and BAM! Another season winning everything. It got even worse after the defeat away to Real Sociedad that season and actually sent the club into a mini crisis where even the Sporting Director Andoni Zubizarreta resigned. And BAM! They done what Real Madrid haven't ever been able to do even in their retaining seasons of the Champions Leagu... Win everything!

Relax lads... Let it get going, it's only just started.

What I will say though... If you're gonna lose, then losing to a goal like athe one Aduriz scored makes one feel better.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Barcelona were toss. Probably didn't deserve to lose it but that goal was incredible. Amazing for a 38 year old to come on and do that. I agree with Luke there's just so little identity in that side without Messi and it's not like they have poor players.

Edit - I did only see the second half.

Good result for Real in Balaídos against Celta... I was expecting them to lose but Celta weren't really all that good and still look in pre-season mode. All the same it's 3 away point to a side they often fail to do this to.

18 hours ago, cb_96 said:

Unbelievable from Aduriz! Sounded like they did well against de jong, still shows how fundamental Messi is 

To be honest though, you can't keep relying on one man however good they are, especially when you have such a talented team.

It's all about Valverde's approach as far as I'm concerned, then he gets fortunate when Messi, or sometimes Suarez, turns it on and wins the game for him. I've never known such a dull Barcelona team and I doubt things will change from last year while Valverde is still at the club. The only difference last year is that the results were often positive ones, until the Liverpool away game, but many of these results weren't achieved in a convincing manner and there were a lot of underperforming players who you felt were being held back due to the system, or lack of system. You could see fragilities in the side and I also remember a few members such as @El Profesor and @carefreeluke touching on this. They were correct in the end and I had a feeling they would be as well.

This is actually a quality squad and depth wise, I can't think of a stronger Barcelona one(there have obviously been better starting 11s) so with a better manager, this team could continue succeeding, although Valverde just isn't the man to do it I'm afraid. He's a sound fella, never gets involved in nonsense and is a true professional but he doesn't have the tactical intelligence or man management skills to coach such a club.

Bartomeu is barking up the wrong tree also. Bringing in more  attacking players such as Neymar doesn't solve the problems as they lie mainly with the coach I'm afraid. I like Valverde, but he's not the man for the job at all. It sounds a bit harsh when you consider how he won La Liga last season and a double the season before, but I can only see him getting worse before better and the manner in which he sets out his team goes completely against what Barcelona are truly about. The type of players at the club don't suit the type of system he employs at all.

When you look at this squad and compare it to City or Liverpool, it's not an inferior squad and is atleast as good as those squads(with the added bonus of Messi), but as it stands, I would see both sides ripping this Barcelona team apart and what it comes down to isn't personnel but the difference in managers/coaches. Valverde is nowhere near the level of your Peps and Klopps.

49 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Good result for Real in Balaídos against Celta... I was expecting them to lose but Celta weren't really all that good and still look in pre-season mode. All the same it's 3 away point to a side they often fail to do this to.

I personally don't think they will be as poor as last season mate and definitely don't think Atletico will. It'll be a tougher season than last and Barcelona will have to up their game, which I'm not sure can be achieved while Valverde is there.

6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I personally don't think they will be as poor as last season mate and definitely don't think Atletico will. It'll be a tougher season than last and Barcelona will have to up their game, which I'm not sure can be achieved while Valverde is there.

Anything can happen mate but in my personal opinion Real Madrid are going to have a torrid season. They are terrible for me and to be honest I am extremely surprised at today's result.

Atlético Madrid on the other hand look very very good and right now I'd say they're the biggest threat. But not even everyone has played the first game of the season yet and let's get this things started and at least 7 or 8 games in.

Anything can happen.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

What the fuck happened at Villarreal?! 

And what the fuck happened in the last 10 minutes in Valencia?! 

Didn't watch any of those but Villarreal 4-4 Granada does look mental! xDO.o

Plus Real Mallorca's return to La Liga after so long couldn't have started better. A 2-1 victory against SD Eibar.

18 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

To be honest though, you can't keep relying on one man however good they are, especially when you have such a talented team.

It's all about Valverde's approach as far as I'm concerned, then he gets fortunate when Messi, or sometimes Suarez, turns it on and wins the game for him. I've never known such a dull Barcelona team and I doubt things will change from last year while Valverde is still at the club. The only difference last year is that the results were often positive ones, until the Liverpool away game, but many of these results weren't achieved in a convincing manner and there were a lot of underperforming players who you felt were being held back due to the system, or lack of system. You could see fragilities in the side and I also remember a few members such as @El Profesor and @carefreeluke touching on this. They were correct in the end and I had a feeling they would be as well.

This is actually a quality squad and depth wise, I can't think of a stronger Barcelona one(there have obviously been better starting 11s) so with a better manager, this team could continue succeeding, although Valverde just isn't the man to do it I'm afraid. He's a sound fella, never gets involved in nonsense and is a true professional but he doesn't have the tactical intelligence or man management skills to coach such a club.

Bartomeu is barking up the wrong tree also. Bringing in more  attacking players such as Neymar doesn't solve the problems as they lie mainly with the coach I'm afraid. I like Valverde, but he's not the man for the job at all. It sounds a bit harsh when you consider how he won La Liga last season and a double the season before, but I can only see him getting worse before better and the manner in which he sets out his team goes completely against what Barcelona are truly about. The type of players at the club don't suit the type of system he employs at all.

When you look at this squad and compare it to City or Liverpool, it's not an inferior squad and is atleast as good as those squads(with the added bonus of Messi), but as it stands, I would see both sides ripping this Barcelona team apart and what it comes down to isn't personnel but the difference in managers/coaches. Valverde is nowhere near the level of your Peps and Klopps.

Barca remind me a bit of the latter Fergie sides, don't play particularly well but somehow grind out wins. They could face some trouble this season but I think they'll be alright as soon as the magic man comes back.

Massive alarm bells rang after that Roma game for me and I would have got rid of Valverde that season.

42 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Barca remind me a bit of the latter Fergie sides, don't play particularly well but somehow grind out wins. They could face some trouble this season but I think they'll be alright as soon as the magic man comes back.

Massive alarm bells rang after that Roma game for me and I would have got rid of Valverde that season.

I actually liked Valverde up until that point and thought he was bringing something new and fresh, but as last season progressed you just grew tired of his football, then you add to the fact that everything crumbled at  the end of the campaign and it was probably the best to bring in someone else.

The difference between that Fergie side and this side is that, the Fergie one was seriously lacking talent while this Barcelona side has it all to succeed in my opinion and the squad is as good as any you'll see really. While there are new additions also, the backbone are a group of players who have been playing with each other for years(Ter Stegen, Pique, Alba, Busquets, Rakitic, Messi, Suarez...) and they are all players with plenty left to offer. Add to that a group of highly talented young players and fresh faces and I don't see a side there that should be on the down, but more on the up and stepping into something new.

20 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

This post went past me. Top post mate!

18 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Messi will be back and the wins will come but time after time, valverde has proven to be unqualified for the job. Barcelona was making move after move but never realized that replacing Valverde, after the liverpool and valencia embarrassments, was the most needed move. Time for xavi to take over 

For me Valencia isn’t an embarrassment because of it is an embarrassment, then that’s the end of football as the sport that captured the world. 

Atlético 1- Getafe 0 at the end of the 1st half. Trippier assists Morata. The former looks very good at that. In order for the team to have a consistent offence along the season I want to see more of the bulk of the offence run through Lemar & Félix, though.

Ridiculous ejection of Lodi.

29 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

Atlético 1- Getafe 0 at the end of the 1st half. Trippier assists Morata. The former looks very good at that. In order for the team to have a consistent offence along the season I want to see more of the bulk of the offence run through Lemar & Félix, though.

Ridiculous ejection of Lodi.

Morata and Felix have zero chemistry don't you think? Soo much better with Costa.

Ciao Joao, it's been nice
Maybe we'll see you play more than twice
Glad to see you dive in the box
Hope you can wear your shooting socks

Ciao Joao
Ciao Felix
Will you ever play again?
Feel no sorrow
Feel no shame
Come tomorrow, we'll forget your name

32 minutes ago, Machado said:

Morata and Felix have zero chemistry don't you think? Soo much better with Costa.

I wouldn't be so blatant, but yes, up to this point it is not particularly good.

Hopefully after much practice Félix can develop into a penalty taker by midseason, because Morata gives me lots of doubts in that regard. Mentality-wise Félix looks to have all that it takes. I also hope his injury is not serious.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived