talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 4-1 Norwich - Friday 9th August, 2019

football forum

• Administrator

Okay, well thanks for that. Didn't answer any of the questions I posed and now we've gone on to national support xD

I bid you a good night as I cba to get involved in this one. Someone else can go :D.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Stan said:

Just gotta think imagine if it's Pickford having the same injury I don't think I'd see any Liverpool fans on here almost celebrate it?

I saw Liverpool Echo tweet something the other day saying how Sane being injured helps them out which was swiftly deleted after the backlash from it.

That's because the Liverpool lads (and lass) on here are all sound and not massive twats. There's even me and @LFCMadLad talking about how fucking shit it is that Sane's out injured.

So only one conclusion to draw here, unfortunately.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Storts said:

I think that game is exactly how I thought it would go

Comfortable Liverpool win with Norwich showing some of their fantastic football but without the experience or nous to play away at the big boys. 

Not the best start to the season for the neutral but just glad football is back 

Pretty much this. Even got the score. Utterly predictable encounter, dead as a contest after 19 minutes and pretty much went exactly how I thought it would. Man Utd v Chelsea would've been a better opener.

• Subscriber

I was going to try and read the rest of this thread from my last post but I've given up on the utterly ridiculous and pathetic argument on pages 3 and 4.

The second half was obviously less lively. Norwich deserved their goal, despite questioning their approach I was impressed with them in general. However, if they continue to defend like that they will go down with a whimper. We see this with teams all the time that come up and try to outscore their opponents and hope the good days and bad days just balance out. It might work over 10 or even 20 matches which is why we often see these teams look like a surprise package early on in the season, but over 38 games it's almost impossible to avoid having a spell where your strikers lose a bit of form and those 3-3 thrillers turn into 4-0 defeats, destroying confidence and kick off a downward spiral which turns sees them slump from surprise package to disaster.

I look forward to seeing how Norwich stack up in a more winnable fixture. Business as usual for Liverpool really.

The last point I'll make on the style argument is, no, I don't think many more pragmatic sides will come away from Anfield with wins or draws, but if you come here and play into Liverpool's hands and lose 6-0 when you could have "parked the bus" and have pundits say nasty things about you instead of praising you for having a go, but leave with a creditable 2-0, then you can at least go to your next match without the added pressure to respond and damaged confidence and momentum that comes from getting properly slapped around. In points it might not make a difference but over the course of the season if you suffer matches or even halves like Norwich did today 6 or 7 times it will have an impact on performances in other games.

In fairness to Norwich though, they won’t be defending against sides that are as good going forward as us most of the time in the league.

Although on the other hand, you can argue that we kept cutting through that defense with players that still have quite a bit of rustiness and that aren’t fully fit yet. But the counterpoint to that is... it’s the first game of the season for everyone - so everyone’s aboard the same boat in that regard.

You can also make the argument that it’s good for Norwich to learn this lesson early on in the season and learn from it. But the other counterpoint is that they could have learned the same lesson by looking at the history of the league.

I think after the first match, it’s not likely we can really get a gauge on how good Norwich are or aren’t. And I think while they may have been the best side in the championship, I think most people would expect them to get turned over by any of last year’s top 6 (and probably Everton, Leicester, and Wolves too) on the first match of the season

7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Bournemouth have good enough players to play like they do and get reasonably consistent results. 

You can't just shrug off a 4-0 deficit at half time in the first game of the season. Liverpool and City won't do this to everyone this season. I'll be amazed if we see a team get such a 45 minute arse bashing as this for the rest of the season, unless its Norwich in the second half of this match.

Guardiola, Klopp, Poch play exciting football but know how to be pragmatic. Coming into a match like this and not changing your tactics is more up Roberto Martinez or Andre Villas-Boas sort of street.

I've been impressed by their approach and I'm sure it'll serve them well against the rest of the league but you have to try and be more pragmatic against the top sides. These players' confidence will take a battering off this.

Funny as fuck this post! 

Brilliant xD

7 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Attention and gritted teeth acknowledgement aren't the same as genuine respect. The London media despises the fact that all the London clubs are small fry in comparison to the two great North West clubs and especially Liverpool. 

Post of the year :rofl:

• Subscriber

Missed this due to a drinking appointment but seems like we didn't really get tested? From the highlights I saw it looks like we could have actually ended up with more than 4. I am just glad our attack looks like it never let off from the CL finals and we have our first win. 

Shame about Alisson but now Adrian can show everyone why the club chose him as the backup option.

1 hour ago, ... said:

Upvoted everyone on this page.

Sorry for any offence caused.

Will donate £5 to the forum and send a full letter of apology to those affected by the upvote button.

I don't keep myself up to date on the staff situation on here, but if you are a member of staff I'd find that truly baffling. You're one of the most childish idiots on this forum. 

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Missed this due to a drinking appointment but seems like we didn't really get tested? From the highlights I saw it looks like we could have actually ended up with more than 4. I am just glad our attack looks like it never let off from the CL finals and we have our first win. 

Shame about Alisson but now Adrian can show everyone why the club chose him as the backup option.

Norwich had a few chances first half and could have easily had a couple themselves. But yeah Liverpool could have had a couple more at least too. It was a strange game really. Liverpool went into a 4-0 lead without being anywhere near their best.

1 hour ago, shut up said:

Celtic and Rangers are nowhere near as big as Arsenal you thick twat. They lose players to mid-table english clubs. Their worldwide fan base isn't anywhere near the size of ours either. xD

They are mate. They'd take thousands to any cup final. Your fanbase isn't anywhere near the same. Manchester City can take players off Arsenal, doesn't mean they're as big a club. 

Celtic and Rangers are massive clubs. 

1 hour ago, ... said:

Wasn't you called "Friend of Your Mum?"

Indeed, but Ive never claimed to be Mr. Mature here. I also don't spit the dummy out when somebody is trying to have a simple debate (see Iwobi topic) and I don't take some weird pleasure in footballers getting injured just because they play for a rival. 

16 minutes ago, ... said:

I consistently upvote people who post news, as quite literally it benefits the forum and keeps it ticking. You can go through my upvotes if it really bothers you so much (as it clearly does). 

As with the other night, I'll not respond and give you some time to cool down. No doubt you'll need me for something in the near future. 

How convenient 🤔

Didn't realise I was irate, how very thoughtful of you (OR, perhaps you've got nothing else to offer after being found out again) It's impossible to have any sort of discussion with you as you do this deflection act. And I have no idea what you think I'll need you for, don't flatter yourself. 

3 minutes ago, ... said:

You've been crying for a solid two days? Have you completely forgotten the meltdown the other day, that despite me saying twice I wouldn't respond you still posted trying to get bites? 

No problems about not realising you're irate too, it's hard to see it in yourself, I think that's the case for most people. If you could calm yourself though it'd be a benefit to the forum as a whole, it's Saturday morning and the football is back. Not sure where the negativity has stemmed from tbh.

Is this the same conversation where you threw your toys out the pram and said "I'm not having a conversation with somebody who doesn't know football" 😂😂 

Keep going on with these deflection tactics, it really shows your maturity. Top staff material. 

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Yes, that's the one. I didn't throw my toys out of the pram though. You can see from my posts that I'm actually quite calm and haven't resorted to personal insults throughout my posts despite you making plenty. I think you're a decent poster, just fallen into the armchair trap that some fans do when they don't go the game. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and do feel free to drop me a PM if any of my posts confuse you like the upvote of forums news did last night. 

Says this then insults me in the following sentence 😂 

I'll leave it there though, as there no talking to you about anything. 

• The topic was unpinned

I liked the way Norwich played their football. They are most probably going to get spanked by all the big sides for playing this brand of football, but they should be good enough against others. They might also get a shock result against one of the top 6. It's a long season, but they seem to have more quality than quite a few existing sides, and I reckon they will comfortably survive. 

As for us, impressed by Origi. Boy worked hard, stretched the defence at times, retained the ball well and even got a goal. 

Alisson out for six weeks is a huge blow though. 

2 minutes ago, shut up said:

liverpool have won one trophy in 8 years(?) and have massively underachieved in the premier league era, yet they still get disproportionately talked about. They have gotten the same amount of coverage as Man utd, despite doing nothing really.

What's your point? You're proving my own point. 

Liverpool and Manchester United are bigger than any other club in England by a huge distance. That is reflected in media coverage. Arsenal a big club, great history but not in the same class when it comes to the great clubs of the game. Manchester United could not win anything for 10 years and they'd still be bigger than arsenal. Likewise Liverpool. They're institutions. 

Just now, shut up said:

so why are you crying about the media not liking them if you agree they get disproportionately covered? Sky/BBC/ BT Sport etc... are all 'london' media and they are all big time liverpool bummers

I dont agree they get 'disproportionately' covered. They get the amount of coverage they do becauee of the interest they garner. More people are interested in Liverpool football club than any other club, bar Manchester United. It isn't any love in, it's purely commercial. The london clubs just don't have the same pull for the public. 

It's a total love in. Sky and BT Sport have basically become LFC TV. It's ridiculous. Their trophy haul over the past 20 years is poor in comparison to the coverage they get.  

A club is more than trophies. More than money. You and I are on different wavelengths. We'll never agree. 

you are on a different wavelength to the rest of society if you think celtic have a larger fanbase than arsenal. nobody gives a fuck about them outside of Ireland & Scotland, whereas the continent of africa supports arsenal.

You don't go to watch football do you? Twitter followers do not a fanbase make. Anyone who thinks arsenal have anything close to the fanbase of Celtic is off their heads. 

Archived