Crystal Palace vs Everton
Watford vs Brighton

Sunday 11th August, 2019
Leicester vs Wolves, 14.00

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Expect a low-scoring match here, be disappointed if we get beaten. Kean says he's ready to play, Gbamin more likely to need another week to prepare. I'll stop short of predicting a lineup until Friday I think.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Expect a low-scoring match here, be disappointed if we get beaten. Kean says he's ready to play, Gbamin more likely to need another week to prepare. I'll stop short of predicting a lineup until Friday I think.

Zaha to sign on Thursday. Score the winner in his first game for Everton. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Zaha to sign on Thursday. Score the winner in his first game for Everton. 

He may well still sign but he wont play on Saturday. More likely we lose 2-0 with Palace goals coming from Tosun and McCarthy after their swap deal. :ph34r:

• Subscriber

This is a really big opening game for us because along with these, Everton and arguably West Ham, we're touted to all have pretty good seasons. Would be very nice to get a win against these on the board but on the flip side, a loss would be pretty horrific.

The fact they're going to Armenia on Thursday is a huge stroke of luck for us. They couldn't have handpicked a much worse trip.

I'd be surprised if the XI that started v Atalanta wasn't the XI for this weekend regardless of any incomings. We won't throw anyone in at short notice.

Schmechel, Ricardo, Evans, Soyuncu, Chilwell, Choudhury, Tielemans, Maddison, Albrighton, Perez, Vardy.

I'll go with a 2-1 win. Vardy & Perez. Just like last week.

• Subscriber

I imagine we'll line up with Pickford, Coleman, Keane, Mina, Digne, Gomes, ???, Richarlison, Bernard, Sigurdsson and Kean.

The ??? to be filled by Delph if he's fit. Gbamin said he probably isn't ready but if Delph isn't available he might get thrown in as Schneiderlin and Davies are the alternatives. Can see Walcott starting instead of Richarlison as he's only had 45 minutes in pre season, and Calvert-Lewin ahead of Kean who joined after our last friendly.

We're not really ready to hit the ground running as our business was late, but I assume Zaha won't play after what happened this week, so we should be able to keep them quiet. I doubt whether we've gelled enough up top to create much either and we've been dire in attack in pre season. Could easily be a 0-0 for me, but with Kean and Richarlison options from the bench if they don't start, I'd say we're the likelier to sneak a 1-0.

• Administrator

I think we'll line up as:

Schmeichel

Pereira - Evans - Soyuncu - Chilwell

Choudhury

Albrighton - Maddison - Tielemans

Vardy - Perez

Subs:
Ward
Mendy
Iheanacho
Praet
Fuchs
Justin
Barnes

Choudhury playing as Ndidi isn't back yet from AFCON.

Tielemans I've noticed in friendlies has sat deep to get the ball and dictate play from there but also seen him get in to the box and be another body for defences to worry about. I suspect if he does sit back we'd see Perez shift a bit further back as an inverted forward in on from the left. 

27 minutes ago, Eco said:

Cherries and Blades are on over here. 

The atmosphere looks quality for its size.

Sheffield United fans are some of the best traveling fans in the league, and promoted sides usually have noisy fans. If they survive the drop it’ll be good for the atmosphere in the league.

I also think they’ve looked the better side so far 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sheffield United fans are some of the best traveling fans in the league, and promoted sides usually have noisy fans. If they survive the drop it’ll be good for the atmosphere in the league.

I also think they’ve looked the better side so far 

Yeah, pretty bland game. Cherries had the best chance, but missed the target on what looks like an easy opportunity.

• Subscriber

Decent half from us but generally a stale match. Sigurdsson and Coleman should both have scored. Palace more threatening in the last ten minutes but overall you can see why they're asking £80m for Zaha if this is the quality of their attack without him.

Hopefully we can find a goal in the second half, possibly through Kean off the bench, but there's a reason I predicted a 0-0 in Prediction league for this match.

• Subscriber

Poor second half from us, even before Schneiderlin got a red card. I felt he was quite unlucky. First yellow was for dissent, he punched the ground instead of confronting the ref over a decision he disagreed with, thought that was harsh, if he was frustrated at least he chose to punch the ground instead of swearing in the referee's face like players constantly do without getting booked. Second yellow was a yellow card foul no doubt, but sometimes you'd get a "one more and you're off". 

Pickford made two smart saves from Ayew and Meyer who both should have done better really. Back four were solid and full backs did well going forward in the first half at least.

Losing Gomes to injury is a blow. We might have a problem there if he's out for the next game as well as Delph. Schneiderlin suspended, leaves us with Gbamin and Davies in there. Gbamin had a mixed debut, gave the ball away too many times and put us under pressure, not surprising when he said in his interview this weekend may be too soon for him. 

Richarlison rusty, Sigurdsson could barely get involved but should have scored in the 2nd minute and had one cleared off the line early second half. Bernard showed good touches and linked up well with Digne as always but has to start to do more with the final pass or finish with Iwobi now on the scene to compete for that spot.

Calvert-Lewin with a very Calvert-Lewin performance. Worked hard, some good hold up play, missed a half chance, overall not enough from a lone striker. Kean on a hiding to nothing when he came on, just before we went a man down.

A draw was a fair result, Zaha doesn't seem to have any motivation issues and gave us a headache when he came on, so if he stays fit they should be alright. Palace were defensively solid, but Meyer has been a disappointment coming to the Premier League, he was perceived as quite a coup for Palace but doesn't seem to be having the impact that was expected.

More to come from us, a lot of rusty players who have just signed, or come back late from international duty, or both, I think it will take until November or longer before we start to really show what we're all about. Today was alright but to improve on last season we have to turn some of these draws into wins.

The story of the game is that both of these teams are exactly the same as last season.

Everton rely too heavily on Andre Gomes and they have players that are not up to the level that they require to improve. They started off well but when Andre Gomes came off we took the game to them. The new lad in midfield was not ready for the pace of the Premier League (Benteke was taking the ball off of him!!). Whilst Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Yerry Mina both showed themselves not to be at the required level throughout the game. Schneiderlin I imagine will get a bollocking for his petty yellow cards too.

As for us, we were on the back foot relying heavily on the professionalism of our defence until Andre Gomes went off. After that we took the game to Everton but didnt have that final killer spark to convert a chance. Roy made his subs late, and chose to bring on Wickham instead of Camarasa which is just classic Roy of last season.

Based on today's performance, both teams to have very similar seasons to the last.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived