Head to Head Record
Tottenham - 72
Draws - 36
Aston Villa - 56

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Think this is a really tricky game to start with actually.

We have a very good record against Villa in the last decade or so but this is such a difficult time to play them. Think it will be an entertaining game, that Villa will be so up for, and we will have to be switched on and at our best to win. They've obviously signed a lot of new players, but many of them know the system already, and I think Smith will have them very well organised. 

For us it's actually the right time to play us too. We have injuries and suspensions galore to start the season again. Alli is out, Son is out, Foyth is out, Aurier/Davies out too I think. Dier/Wanyama not fit. Sessegnon injured. Eriksen sulking. Lo Celso only just joined. N'dombele not fully fit. Plenty to think about for Poch.

Picking a team is difficult but I *think* it will be something like this

Lloris

Walker-Peters

Alderweireld

Vertonghen

Rose

Winks

Sissoko

Ndombele

Lamela

Moura

Kane

A long way from our strongest lineup although hopefully still enough to get the job done. Lamela has had another good pre season, his best time of year, but really shouldn't be anywhere near this lineup in the long run. Excited to see Moura this year though, think he will be important to us.

To be honest, I think if any top six side could hand pick their opening fixture it would be against a promoted side at home. Especially one that sneaked into the play offs and has had to pretty much put a new side together

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

To be honest, I think if any top six side could hand pick their opening fixture it would be against a promoted side at home. Especially one that sneaked into the play offs and has had to pretty much put a new side together

I'd have loved Norwich or Sheff United. Or someone like Brighton. But just apprehensive about Villa. Big club, that will be up for it on their return to the league, with loads of new players, and a bit of a wildcard. 

Obviously we still should have too much for them, but at the same time these fixtures can be tricky and we can't underestimate them. Would like to be 4-0 up in 40 minutes like you tonight. Settle the nerves xD

20 minutes ago, Storts said:

I'd have loved Norwich or Sheff United. Or someone like Brighton. But just apprehensive about Villa. Big club, that will be up for it on their return to the league, with loads of new players, and a bit of a wildcard. 

Obviously we still should have too much for them, but at the same time these fixtures can be tricky and we can't underestimate them. Would like to be 4-0 up in 40 minutes like you tonight. Settle the nerves xD

I'm sure Pochettino and the players won't be underestimating them but I'm not having that it could be tricky just because of the name and they've spent a shit load. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I'm sure Pochettino and the players won't be underestimating them but I'm not having that it could be tricky just because of the name and they've spent a shit load. 

Well I hope you’re right. We are also missing players and under prepared. Just apprehensive. See how they cope with disappointment of last year also 

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Well I hope you’re right. We are also missing players and under prepared. Just apprehensive. See how they cope with disappointment of last year also 

The team Spurs will probably start with looks extremely strong. 

Lloris

Walker-Peters_Alderweireld_Vertonghen_Rose

Ndombele_Winks

Lucas_Eriksen_Lamela

Kane

That's pretty much the team that was smashing it's way through the Champions League last season, with a very good new addition in Ndombele. You should feel confident with that team and playing in front of your own fans.

If it was Villa at home, I'd think it'd be much tougher. Because this is the season the Villa faithful have been waiting for since their drop down to the Championship, a return back to the top flight and with serious investment to keep them there - they've got a lot to be excited about.

But Spurs are a top side that's also spent well and made wise signings. And I think they'll be angry about how their last competitive match went - losing is always shit, but losing in a final is painful. They'll be out for blood and looking to send a statement, I think. And with a side like that, I think anyone would be in for a tough match. But we're talking about a side that's just been promoted... and on top of that there's wholesale changes they've made to their side.

I think it'll be 4-0. A Kane hattrick + a nice goal from Lucas. I don't usually do super specific predictions, but I'm feeling this one.

I think there’s a general ignorance about us this year that I find amusing. Really noticed it since returning out the football league the arrogance of Premier league fans. . 

We play good football and Smith has said already in the press conferences pre game we won’t be going to park the bus we approach every game with the intent to win it. Nothing will have changed and Smith has his style of play it’s consistent and we’re well organised and we’ll cause teams problems.

Because it’s the first game I just fancy us getting a point to be honest, son out is a big miss for Spurs and I think McGinn & Grealish will be comfortable at this level, where as Spurs new midfield will need to gel. Could be wrong but 2-2

Unbelievabely excited for this game, it's been a long time coming and it's good to see the boys back in the prem. Spurs away is a great test to start the new season, I think the game probably suits us to be honest considering all of the pressure will be on Spurs starting a new season in their new stadium and off the back of a champions league final. Don't get me wrong this will be a difficult test but I see this as a freebie where Dean Smith can set up his team to play how he wants with attacking intent and see how we get on. We will defiantly be a threat throughout the game, I'm predicting a goal fest with Spurs clinching it 3-2. 

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I think there’s a general ignorance about us this year that I find amusing. Really noticed it since returning out the football league the arrogance of Premier league fans. . 

We play good football and Smith has said already in the press conferences pre game we won’t be going to park the bus we approach every game with the intent to win it. Nothing will have changed and Smith has his style of play it’s consistent and we’re well organised and we’ll cause teams problems.

Because it’s the first game I just fancy us getting a point to be honest, son out is a big miss for Spurs and I think McGinn & Grealish will be comfortable at this level, where as Spurs new midfield will need to gel. Could be wrong but 2-2

The teams at the top end of this league have improved massively though - Pep’s City have raised the bar. I think (and hope tbh) that you’ll stay up - but I think the 3 worst sides any promoted side could face as an opener would be us, City or Spurs

• The topic was unpinned

Archived