• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 3-1 Aston Villa - Saturday 10th August, 2019

football forum

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Aston Villa showing Norwich how to approach a match like this. Attack when you get a chance to commit men forward, rather than attack and commit men forward every time you get the ball. Much more disciplined and able to contain Spurs for the periods where it has been necessary so far. And yes, I know Spurs aren't quite on Liverpool's level.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The teams at the top end of this league have improved massively though - Pep’s City have raised the bar. I think (and hope tbh) that you’ll stay up - but I think the 3 worst sides any promoted side could face as an opener would be us, City or Spurs

Grouping Tottenham with Man City and Liverpool is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. They finished a point behind Chelsea and only a point above us. They're not as amazing as the football media would have everyone believe. One day Tottenahm will be judged with the same standards as the rest of the top 6.

5 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Grouping Tottenham with Man City and Liverpool is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. They finished a point behind Chelsea and only a point above us. They're not as amazing as the football media would have everyone believe. One day Tottenahm will be judged with the same standards as the rest of the top 6.

They don’t have the depth of City, so injuries fucked them last year. They’re a better side than Chelsea without Hazard, time will tell if they’re still better than you with al of your changes

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

So if the ball hits the ref it's a free ball to the possessing side? Just aim for the ref by the penalty box

Yeah that happened in our game today. Didn't think the ball hitting the ref was a massive issue in the past. Another opportunity to kill the flow of a game for little gain in my opinion but not exactly a massive talking point at the same time.

Really good from Villa so far, Spurs have looked flat and they've taken advantage.

• Subscriber

This is going exactly as I thought it would. No Son, Alli or Eriksen or Lo Celso means we have zero creativity and this stupid diamond NEVER works. Hate it and no idea why Pochettino keeps persisting with it. 

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Yeah that happened in our game today. Didn't think the ball hitting the ref was a massive issue in the past. Another opportunity to kill the flow of a game for little gain in my opinion but not exactly a massive talking point at the same time.

Really good from Villa so far, Spurs have looked flat and they've taken advantage.

I think it's to stop people moaning and whinging about 'unfairness', we are not allowed to accept that sometimes things just happen. We have to control and stop everything that could lead to people feeling hard done by. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I think it's to stop people moaning and whinging about 'unfairness', we are not allowed to accept that sometimes things just happen. We have to control and stop everything that could lead to people feeling hard done by. 

I was thinking, next thing will be they start disallowing wind-assisted goals because it's not fair for the weather to give someone an unfair advantage at random. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

This is going exactly as I thought it would. No Son, Alli or Eriksen or Lo Celso means we have zero creativity and this stupid diamond NEVER works. Hate it and no idea why Pochettino keeps persisting with it. 

I now think that’s why he’s gone for Elmo & Taylor and a flat back four, typically our full backs bomb on but these seem to be restricting your width. Think pressure will tell thou and you’ll score I’d take a point now tbh as a solid start

• Subscriber

Called Villa going ahead in this early but had them to still lose it 3-1, will stick with that. Haven't seen the first half but did hear it on the radio and they have in fairness sounded pretty useful.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I now think that’s why he’s gone for Elmo & Taylor and a flat back four, typically our full backs bomb on but these seem to be restricting your width. Think pressure will tell thou and you’ll score I’d take a point now tbh as a solid start

Exactly! We struggle to break down teams that sit in like this, particularly without our best attacking players - doesn’t help when it’s consistently Sissoko on the ball in the attacking positions 

• Subscriber

I just don't really get why the one on Winks is a foul but the one on the Villa player (mind's gone blank) isn't. How are they any different? Yeah one is a bit of a bigger call to make than the other but it shouldn't change what actually happened.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived