• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 3-1 Aston Villa - Saturday 10th August, 2019

football forum

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Sounds like it'll be a decent game to watch on MOTD later on.

Also sounds like Villa have enough about them across the 3 promoted teams to finish highest, despite the loss, based on this performance.

Overall I’m gutted thought we worked hard enough for a point, I felt we let ourselves down with a few things. 

The bad;

Ball retention second half when pressed by Spurs became sloppy and invited pressure. Grealish especially needs to get quicker. 

Think Smith got Trezequet substitution wrong and El Ghazi got lazy towards the end. 

Heatons Kicking is the worst part of his game. 

We got deeper and invited pressure it’s naive at this level to do that, it’s against Smiths ethos to so I expect that to be a learning curve.

The Good: 

The John McGinn secret is out. Mings picked up where he left off, Engles looks a good buy as does Trezequet. 

Aside from Mings they’re all 22-25 so will get better. 

Absolutely devastated after that, first half was excellent we countered at the right times, created most of the chances and limited spurs to long range efforts. Second half we invited far to much pressure and stayed to deep, granted it's easy to do when winning 1-0 away against a team like Spurs. 

Wesley was dissapointing in the first half but improved in the second and El Ghazi did'nt perform at all. I also think both Taylor and Elmohomody will be replaced within a few weeks for Targett and Guilbert, not that they had bad games I just don't think either of them have the quality. 

Overall, plenty of positives to take away especially if we can keep creating chances like we did in the first half. 

That has to be tough to take for Villa fans, that was a very good performance. A lot of fight in this Villa and @Fairy In Boots looks right that Villa will surprise a good number of sides, based on that showing.

But Spurs were dangerous throughout, one of the first moments of the match was their right back being disposed by Lucas and Lucas almost scoring. But a spirited fight back to get the goals late they’d been threatening to score throughout.

I think both sets of supporters saw plenty of encouraging signs from that as an opener - although obviously Villa fans will be gutted they don’t even get a point from that performance.

• The topic was unpinned
4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Spurs are just good at wearing teams down. Their fitness is ridiculous.

Smith notes that. 

Always like to hear Smith, he’s not delusional like Bruce “roll our sleeves up” shite, he’s pretty much called it as it was we didn’t retain the ball got tired and beat at the end of the day

• Subscriber
On 11/08/2019 at 00:46, Dr. Gonzo said:

That has to be tough to take for Villa fans, that was a very good performance. A lot of fight in this Villa and @Fairy In Boots looks right that Villa will surprise a good number of sides, based on that showing.

But Spurs were dangerous throughout, one of the first moments of the match was their right back being disposed by Lucas and Lucas almost scoring. But a spirited fight back to get the goals late they’d been threatening to score throughout.

I think both sets of supporters saw plenty of encouraging signs from that as an opener - although obviously Villa fans will be gutted they don’t even get a point from that performance.

I'd argue that until Eriksen came on Spurs were a bit uni-dimensional in their attack play. The minute he came on however, they started getting more joy in the final third and having someone who can craft the necessary distribution gave them better chances. Overall, both teams looked like they'll do well and I think Spurs will be a genuine title contender if they can keep their game the way they did.

Archived