talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle 0-1 Arsenal - Sunday 11th August, 2019

football forum

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the first game of the season or the first game of pre-season?

Passing has been awful. Good first 20 minutes. This Arsenal are or were there for the taking but we're not even remotely sharp. Only Miggy is really. Don't think Arsenal can get worse than that so might be opportunity lost.

This is what anyone wanting to break the top 6 needs, a world class striker. Arsenal are a mess but Aubemeyang was joint top goal scorer last season with Mane and Salah. Tottenham broke the top 4 and helped create division between the top 6 and everyone else through Harry Kane.

The likes of Everton, Wolves, West Ham etc...unless they can sign a striker who’s going to score 18/20 goals a season then I can’t see them breaking through from midtable 

I'm very happy with all things considered clean sheet and we looked very comfortable defensively for a first time in a while. We will start getting key players back and we should continue with this 4-2-3-1 it's our best formation. 

Very happy with our academy boys today Willock, Nelson and AMN were all very good. I wasn't impressed when Willock broke through a couple of seasons ago but he looks a real talent and is a proper athlete. Very excited for this season only negative was Mkhitaryan, he looked awful especially in the first half. Hopefully we won't see him too much this season from now on. 

I’ll take that!

first game of the season with a victory and 3 points on the board. The possibilities in attack are many and varied which is great as it gives the opposition’s coach a conundrum unless he wants to enter a goalscoring battle against our lot and basing it all on the fact the defensive side of things with us is quite suspect.

• Subscriber

Not going to see many worse games of football all season but comfortable win really for Arsenal, Newcastle just didn’t threaten them at all second half, and they’ve come away with the win and clean sheet whilst playing a pretty average side to put it lightly. Far bigger tests ahead of them but got exactly what they wanted today 

Two poor teams today. 

We look way off the Premier League pace and that's the only reason a poor Arsenal have managed a shot on target to win the game. Our passing on the whole was dreadful and wasteful. 

That we couldn't have a go at the end either is worrying. No idea what the formation and positions were in that 2nd half.

2 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Two poor teams today. 

We look way off the Premier League pace and that's the only reason a poor Arsenal have managed a shot on target to win the game. Our passing on the whole was dreadful and wasteful. 

That we couldn't have a go at the end either is worrying. No idea what the formation and positions were in that 2nd half.

Bruce ball 👍🏻

• Subscriber

Lots of signings to settle in at Newcastle, Saint-Maximin, Almiron and Joelinton should make for an exciting attack in time. Need to give it a decent run of games before we're too judgemental of them, which is another reason that the three international breaks in the first 12 games or so are so irritating.

Arsenal were poor but the same logic applies to them. None of their new signings started the game if I heard correctly.

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Lots of signings to settle in at Newcastle, Saint-Maximin, Almiron and Joelinton should make for an exciting attack in time. Need to give it a decent run of games before we're too judgemental of them, which is another reason that the three international breaks in the first 12 games or so are so irritating.

Arsenal were poor but the same logic applies to them. None of their new signings started the game if I heard correctly.

Got a bit of everything in that front 3, but bar Shelvey the midfield will struggle to get them the ball in advanced positions I think. Lascelles and Schar are a very solid pairing if they can keep them fit, they will have a chance. Longstaff didn't really impose himself as much he did as late last season.

• The title was changed to Newcastle 0-1 Arsenal - Sunday 11th August, 2019
6 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Bruce ball 👍🏻

To be fair we did have the same problem at times under Rafa. 

On Bruce though, a lot of focus on his in game management today. The team lost its shape and the positioning was all to pot with the substitutions. Better moves might have won that game.

One of the journalists asked him why he had 4 defenders on the bench and no Ki. His answer was that Dummett and Lascelles were carrying knocks. Not sure that warrants 4 defenders. Was he a man of excuses at Villa?

I'm sure in a month or two's time we'll bring Andy Carroll off the bench and lump it at the death.

15 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

To be fair we did have the same problem at times under Rafa. 

On Bruce though, a lot of focus on his in game management today. The team lost its shape and the positioning was all to pot with the substitutions. Better moves might have won that game.

One of the journalists asked him why he had 4 defenders on the bench and no Ki. His answer was that Dummett and Lascelles were carrying knocks. Not sure that warrants 4 defenders. Was he a man of excuses at Villa?

I'm sure in a month or two's time we'll bring Andy Carroll off the bench and lump it at the death.

Yeah after 18 months the biggest complaint was that there was no style of play or identity that we could make out, it was constant square pegs in round holes. He’s actually quite likeable as a bloke. But I think the modern game has passed him by, with the addition of Mings & Hause we went from 15th to 5th and if we’d have had another ten games I’d have backed us to have caught the top 2, he really did hold us back

• The topic was unpinned

Archived