talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 4-0 Chelsea - Sunday 11th August, 2019

football forum

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This goes back to what I was talking about in pre season where we would be reliant on scoring more than the opposition if we hoped to get results and today it's not happened.. put a lack of goals at one end and a leaky defence at the other and it's only going to end one way, United have not really been that good, we have just been really awful.. 

Taking out Barkley killed us. 

Two mistakes from our captain and most experienced defender. Once Reece James is fit, Azpilicueta's days are numbered. 

Complete collapse from our defence and the performances from our 'experienced' players was well and truly embarrassing. Pedro and Azpilicueta particularly. I know we have injuries to important players, but this same collapse is what we saw under Sarri, and Sarri was murdered for it. 

Chelsea have a transfer ban but they still came into the season with too many changes. A defence that isn't used to playing together and needing 2 players who did well in the Chsmpionship to become key players in the Premier League while also having a new manager. Maybe letting go of both Gary Cahill & David Luiz when you have a transfer ban wasn't the best idea. I think they still could have signed Higuain like they were able to sign Kovacic. Should've done.

It'll take time for things to really come together if they do.

4-0 must be hard to digest if you watched the game as a Chelsea fan. Chelsea have not been that bad nor Man United that good. The later were deadly on the counter though so fair play, but those goals came at a time when Chelsea already seemed to not believe in a comeback.

Have to agree with Cicero. Barkley coming off put the game to bed.

I thought it was going to be Chelsea's attack which would be their biggest issue this season, but their defence looked all sorts of bad today. With Rudiger back it should improve things but some major concerns have been highlighted. 

I have to say though that attack is arguably near on midtable. Decent amount of talent but I don't know where goals are coming from. They're going to need Abraham to really turn up this season. 

• Administrator

Well I did not expect such a trouncing from Utd.

Listened to first half and some of the second half on the way back from our game and apart from the 2 chances Chelsea had where they hit the woodwork, it sounded like Man Utd had all the control in the half. Also sounded like Kurt Zouma is way out of his depth.

It's games like this one where there is a fine margin of 1 goal and you could bring on the likes of Hazard last season to lift the side and push on but it's an option we no longer have.. I should imagine there will be a fair few games like this where our defence goes walkabout and lays out the red carpet for attacking sides that in all honesty don't have to be very prolific attacking wise because we will allow those gaps for even half chances and opportunities for the opposition to be able to score.. 

Just now, Rick said:

Wouldnt have conceded some of those goals today if he was in

Luiz isn't some top class centre back either. He was at the centre of our thrashing against Bournmeouth and City last season. He didn't want to fight for his spot and Lampard said he won't bother with players who aren't committed. Something I completely agree with. 

A lot of issues can be solved with our starting players fit, and more chemistry built with players who have never played together,  but missing this many chances and being this leaky in defence, is a genuine concern that needed sorted yesterday. This was always going to be a rough season, but I honestly didn't expect this. 

The only real plus about this season,  is that the issues we see, or have known about for a while, won't be papered over anymore. 

• Subscriber

I thought Barkley was poor when he was on the pitch. Lost the ball most times he had it. Not even being bitter against him because he's in my fantasy team so I was ready for him to be decent.

Some stats below

Screenshot_20190811-184332_FotMob.thumb.jpg.c2d9ea32cff613ab8ddc273a17b4f2ec.jpg

I want to focus on a positive for a moment.

Not going to lie, the first half from Chelsea was one of the first times in god knows how long I've sat down as a neutral and thoroughly enjoyed watching them.

Very refreshing play. They didn't take their chances, you can argue various reasons for that, and the individual mistakes defensively have ultimately killed them.

But I liked the way they took control of the game. If they scored when on top, it's a totally different story.

There were some big positives for Chelsea to take away from that. It's just a shame they shot themselves in the foot really.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived