talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 4-0 Chelsea - Sunday 11th August, 2019

football forum

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously though, Chelsea weren’t at the races, neither were we I felt, but another team could have possibly had our pants down. Still too lightweight in midfield. Chelsea go 1-0 and could have been a different game altogether. Not counting the chickens just yet. 4-0 severely flatters us.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Thing is, I can see Leicester spanking our back line next weekend as well. If Liverpool doesn't already murder them. 

Meh, I'm not that confident about going away to a top 6 side these days, even if we have got a favourable result on the odd occasion.

Hard to find fault with a 4-0 win, but until Martial scored I was worried we might lose.  Two quick goals and the game was in the bag, but likely would have been different had Chelsea scored in the first hour.  

Wan Bissaka does look a good buy and Maquire did well considering he has only been in camp a few days.  As for Chelsea, Mount looked impressive hope he keeps his place

• Subscriber

Good result for us as I thought a draw would be more likely but there you go, only just watched the highlights now but can't go much by that and I am not going to go overboard about the result, long way to go yet and we have wolves away next and that won't be a 'Piece of Piss' game so the players better not think that way especially Pogba the 'Hot and Cold' man for me.

It's funny hearing people say Lampard took the risk of bringing inexperienced players in the starting XI, when it was in fact our veterans that lost us the game.

We saw horrific mistakes from Azpilicueta and Pedro that led to goals, along with Zouma who is already an established professional. They were making mistakes you'd expect our youngsters would make. 

On 06/08/2018 at 17:23, carefreeluke said:

The second time it occurs is when we're on the attack and the opposition counter quickly, this is what @The Liquidator mentions above where it appears a lot of the players were taken out the game on Sunday. This is again a tactical thing, it's how quickly our players counter press, the positional play of the players, how deep our defence is, the relationship and shape of the different parts of the team. I agree this is in part down to the dynamism of the players we have but it's also something that needs to be fine-tuned and worked on from a tactical point of view. We were extremely good at counter pressing under Conte. And I'm hoping Kanté's return would be massive boost for us in this area, arguably Kanté's best attribute is counter pressing and winning the ball high up the pitch, some people tend to believe his best work happens in his own half just in front of the defence but I'd say further up is where we see some of his best endeavors. When Kanté was absent last season, you could really see the difference in our midfield and that was in a more conservative playing style as well. 

Mourinho was brilliant after the game. Talking about fundamentals and different styles. We lost today because of our shape when losing the ball, the distances, positioning, and the press at times needs some work. There was a brilliant quote from him after the game where he said that all players or the team should anticipate what could happen when they lose the ball, he called it the basics. When we lost the ball today at times there was no correlation between our defence and forward players, we weren't compact enough as a unit to close off those counters or space. Positionally all over the place.

Interestingly I said almost the same about Sarri nearly a year ago today. Sarri took a while to sort out the problem but he did make progress with it. I'm hoping Lampard can mend things quickly. The problems are very similar to this time last season, just with a different shape and some differences in personnel. 

2 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Mourinho was brilliant after the game. Talking about fundamentals and different styles. We lost today because of our shape when losing the ball, the distances, positioning, and the press at times needs some work. There was a brilliant quote from him after the game where he said that all players or the team should anticipate what could happen when they lose the ball, he called it the basics. When we lost the ball today at times there was no correlation between our defence and forward players, we weren't compact enough as a unit to close off those counters or space. Positionally all over the place.

Interestingly I said almost the same about Sarri nearly a year ago today. Sarri took a while to sort out the problem but he did make progress with it. I'm hoping Lampard can mend things quickly. The problems are very similar to this time last season, just with a different shape and some differences in personnel. 

Issue is we keep losing the ball in areas we shouldn't be losing it. 

Hard to anticipate that when some players can' get the basics right. Stop holding onto the ball for so damn long in the middle of the pitch. 

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Issue is we keep losing the ball in areas we shouldn't be losing it. 

Hard to anticipate that when some players can' get the basics right. Stop holding onto the ball for so damn long in the middle of the pitch. 

This is also part of the problem, we were too sloppy in possession as well. If you're as careless on the ball as we were today playing that open, you also put yourself at risk of not being able to cover the spaces when being dispossessed. I can't quite believe a player of Pedro's background has become so bad in this area as well. He was dreadful today and loses the ball too often, the polar opposite of what he used to be like.

@Cicero you were spot on today mate about the more experienced players. Mourinho heavily hinted after the game that he would have played some of the more experienced players, like Giroud etc and hinted that it was naive for Frank to use so many younger players today. Pedro and Azpilicueta let us down most, easily the worst two players on the pitch today. It was also Pedro's poor pass that allowed Man United to get in for the first goal as well. 

The pundits have been up Azpilicueta's ass forever. Yes, he still has a big performance in him but he really has been below par for ages now.

Azpiliceuta, when he came to England he was so great that he still maintains that reputation. He was a genuine shock, a relatively unknown entity establishing himself as the best fullback in the league. But it seems that fullbacks have very short shelf-lives, outside of the extraordinary. It wasn’t that long ago Danny Rose and Kieran Trippier had reputations much higher than they are now.

37 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

This is also part of the problem, we were too sloppy in possession as well. If you're as careless on the ball as we were today playing that open, you also put yourself at risk of not being able to cover the spaces when being dispossessed. I can't quite believe a player of Pedro's background has become so bad in this area as well. He was dreadful today and loses the ball too often, the polar opposite of what he used to be like.

@Cicero you were spot on today mate about the more experienced players. Mourinho heavily hinted after the game that he would have played some of the more experienced players, like Giroud etc and hinted that it was naive for Frank to use so many younger players today. Pedro and Azpilicueta let us down most, easily the worst two players on the pitch today. It was also Pedro's poor pass that allowed Man United to get in for the first goal as well. 

The pundits have been up Azpilicueta's ass forever. Yes, he still has a big performance in him but he really has been below par for ages now.

Yeah Mourinho can fuck off with that one. Just said Alonso should’ve played ahead of Emerson xD

• Subscriber

4-0 was flattering but Man Utd deserved the win. Seemed to score just about every chance they had. Maguire with a solid debut.

Hope to god we get at that defence next weekend.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived