talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alex Iwobi - Everton Complete Signing

Good fee for us and a good fee for Everton considering how much they nearly paid for Zaha. People forget he's still quite young. If he can learn to stay composed in the box then he'll be a top player.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Still think it's a bit steep :35_thinking:.

It always astounds me after having two entire months and knowing the transfer deadline is at 5pm that there still needs to be a system in place for clubs to have a two hour extension. Human nature at its finest 😂.

I'm actually a bit gutted about this, he is still so young and versatile. Genuinely think you could have got a very good deal here. Shocked we have let him go with no real replacement, very worrying. 

4 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I'm actually a bit gutted about this, he is still so young and versatile. Genuinely think you could have got a very good deal here. Shocked we have let him go with no real replacement, very worrying. 

Pepe & Reiss Nelson are 2 new players in the first team. Then you have younger players like Martinelli, Smith-Rowe & Saka.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Just seen this. I don't know why the Zaha negotiations rumbled on for so long if that's true, they reportedly wanted £70m if not significantly more so the two sides were miles apart.

Just now, 6666 said:

Pepe & Reiss Nelson are 2 new players in the first team. Then you have younger players like Martinelli, Smith-Rowe & Saka.

Pepe plays on the right and it's a tremendous ask of Nelson, Martinelli and Saka to step up to the plate. Not to mention Iwobi could fill into the midfield and with Cabellos only being here a season we're leaving our options short next year. 

Suspect we will go with Laca up top and shunt Auba onto the wing for another season unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Pepe plays on the right and it's a tremendous ask of Nelson, Martinelli and Saka to step up to the plate. Not to mention Iwobi could fill into the midfield and with Cabellos only being here a season we're leaving our options short next year. 

Suspect we will go with Laca up top and shunt Auba onto the wing for another season unfortunately. 

Most already assumed that the front 3 was going to be Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pepe.

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

Most already assumed that the front 3 was going to be Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pepe.

That's my issue I don't want Aubameyang shoved out wide to accommodate a worse player, it makes no sense. Iwobi would have really shone for me in a front 3 alongside Aubameyang and Pepe.

We will see I hope Nelson can't live up to the hype because we're going to need him to now. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'd say anyone signing someone so late in the window is a little desperate

You would if that anyone was Everton. Once again you appear in an Everton-related thread to try and put a downer on things. :what:

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's gone from being a promising window for Everton to quite an average one. Iwobi is absolute dross, are they content with floating behind the top 6? Very surprised.

Iwobi is barely 23 and has never really had a run of games in the side as far as I know. Arsenal have also been a basket case for much of the time he's been there and he's played under two different managers. I'm not saying you're wrong but it's not ridiculous to suggest that with a fresh start and a better opportunity of a run of games under a manager who has already shown an ability to develop young players and allow them to grow in confidence, that he could be half decent.

And if he is shit, he's 23, so at least someone else will be willing to take a punt on him, unlike the Bolasie, Mirallas, Besic, McCarthy, Schneiderlin, Tosun, Niasse consortium of previous regimes and their failed signings who are all sat in their late 20s on daft wages impossible to shift apart from on loans where we get a portion of their wages off the books for 10 months at best.

As with all signings, we can all have our expectations of how it will go, but I will judge the signings after they've played a significant number of games.

The club's ambition is not in question. What was left behind by Walsh/Koeman/Allardyce is a multi year rebuilding job and given that we did no business in January, we're two windows into that process yet already approaching the end goal of a squad with 2 players in each position, good ages on them and fitting the way we want to play whilst shifting a decent amount of the dead wood.

2 minutes ago, ... said:

No.

Bernard, Richarlison, Walcott, Mirallas and Bolasie at the club. The deal for Zaha was merely to bulk out the numbers, the opposite of desperation.

Miralles and Bolasie?? The two players you fuckers are constantly saying are shite and need binned? 

Of course you were desperate. Every club has been at some point or another.

• Subscriber
Just now, ... said:

I don't believe the question was regarding skill level? More that we were desperate for wingers? 

We weren't desperate. At all. But if it helps you sleep at night please continue to feel that way. 

I hope you're fishing here. Seeing Mirallas named on the bench against Palace would tear our fanbase into pieces.

9 minutes ago, ... said:

I don't believe the question was regarding skill level? More that we were desperate for wingers? 

We weren't desperate. At all. But if it helps you sleep at night please continue to feel that way. 

You said Zaha was merely to bulk out the numbers...obviously that's far from the case. You name two outcasts to defend your point. Two players that have no realistic chance of every playing in the first team. So with two actually first team wingers.....yes, you were desperate. 

1 minute ago, ... said:

Yet Mirallas has played every game of pre-season? Won't bother commenting further against someone with a limited knowledge of the sport.

Wonder how Carlisle did in the transfer window?

Are you five years old? 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Do you not agree? 

Not really. I think its baffling that every year, clubs leave their transfers until the last day of the window every fucking time, but that's what people do when you give them a deadline, human nature. Sometimes you have to rely on other people to get their things in order before you can react and get your business done. In this case, the Zaha deal wasn't dead until today, because he didn't put in a transfer request until yesterday, possibly also because Palace wanted to line up a replacement before speaking to us again, you never know.

However, I don't see you in the Spurs thread calling them desperate for signing Lo Celso today, or the Arsenal thread calling them desperate for signing Luiz today, or indeed any other club aside from Everton and I'd assume Man Utd if they did anything today as well.

For what it's worth, I think Iwobi will be good for you lot. I also think Lo Celso is somebody that Spurs have courted all window so I wouldn't call that one desperate. Arsenal signing David Luiz however, is very desperate.

10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Not really. I think its baffling that every year, clubs leave their transfers until the last day of the window every fucking time, but that's what people do when you give them a deadline, human nature. Sometimes you have to rely on other people to get their things in order before you can react and get your business done. In this case, the Zaha deal wasn't dead until today, because he didn't put in a transfer request until yesterday, possibly also because Palace wanted to line up a replacement before speaking to us again, you never know.

However, I don't see you in the Spurs thread calling them desperate for signing Lo Celso today, or the Arsenal thread calling them desperate for signing Luiz today, or indeed any other club aside from Everton and I'd assume Man Utd if they did anything today as well.

I think Arsenal signing Luiz is desperate. I think Spurs were working on Lo Celso for a while, but Levy always leaves shite to the last minute because he spends all window haggling

• The title was changed to Alex Iwobi - Everton Complete Signing

Archived