talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alex Iwobi - Everton Complete Signing

11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Not really. I think its baffling that every year, clubs leave their transfers until the last day of the window every fucking time, but that's what people do when you give them a deadline, human nature. Sometimes you have to rely on other people to get their things in order before you can react and get your business done. In this case, the Zaha deal wasn't dead until today, because he didn't put in a transfer request until yesterday, possibly also because Palace wanted to line up a replacement before speaking to us again, you never know.

However, I don't see you in the Spurs thread calling them desperate for signing Lo Celso today, or the Arsenal thread calling them desperate for signing Luiz today, or indeed any other club aside from Everton and I'd assume Man Utd if they did anything today as well.

I've only skim read threads today while I've been out and about but I don't recall seeing any debate about desperation in another, I was merely getting involved when I saw it in this one. I wasn't the one who brought it up

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to clarify, by saying you were desperate for a winger, I wasn't having a dig, I wasn't "fishing", I wasn't trying to "rattle" anyone. I find the reaction to what I said bizarre. We were desperate for a CB and we signed David Luiz, I'm not gonna list all of our CBs to prove that we weren't desperate.

• Subscriber

I think desperate is a strong word. I think it is less than ideal and most would say uninspiring compared to Zaha, but let's be real, we aren't even in the Europa League this season, let alone Champions League, so Zaha would have been a major coup. We already have Moise Kean who is considered a coup himself this summer, that's one more coup than you get in most windows.

This isn't desperate though, its just not our first choice. If we'd have written Zaha off earlier in the window and had more time here then yes, I'm sure we could have negotiated down a few million or converted some of it to add-ons, but that's life.

Iwobi is one of those players you just assume isn't very good because he plays for a top side but doesn't hit massive numbers. He has spent those appearances at Arsenal playing aged 22 or below. There are a lot of good players at Arsenal who are considered very much good enough for them now, who would have been bang average if they'd been playing on that stage during their 19-22 years.

So, I say give him a fair crack. Like I say, run of games, new manager, less pressure, see how he settles. From both Arsenal and non-Arsenal fans you can see he splits opinion, so hopefully our scouts and manager see something in him that many people don't.

2 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Just to clarify, by saying you were desperate for a winger, I wasn't having a dig, I wasn't "fishing", I wasn't trying to "rattle" anyone. I find the reaction to what I said bizarre. We were desperate for a CB and we signed David Luiz, I'm not gonna list all of our CBs to prove that we weren't desperate.

Everton get very defensive when you question something to do with their club. 'Offended by everything'

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMike said:

Everton get very defensive when you question something to do with their club. 'Offended by everything'

Yeah imagine replying to something involving your own club on a football forum with a positive opinion. Very defensive that. In fact we're probably the worst fanbase in world football for trying to put a positive spin on what the club is doing. xD

The problem is when it's you that posts it, it just becomes another occasion where you go into an thread involving any Everton transfer, player, match or matchday steward and say something negative. 

At least when it's someone like Gonzo or Rick who seem to realise they won't burst into flames by saying something positive or even neutral about us then I can take it as an actual unbiased opinion worth considering when they make a criticism, or have a debate with them or know they're on the wind up.

"Offended by everything" xD. The sort of shite you see from both Blues and Reds in the comments section on Liverpool Echo's Twitter page. Again, some originality wouldn't go amiss.

21 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah imagine replying to something involving your own club on a football forum with a positive opinion. Very defensive that. In fact we're probably the worst fanbase in world football for trying to put a positive spin on what the club is doing. xD

The problem is when it's you that posts it, it just becomes another occasion where you go into an thread involving any Everton transfer, player, match or matchday steward and say something negative. 

At least when it's someone like Gonzo or Rick who seem to realise they won't burst into flames by saying something positive or even neutral about us then I can take it as an actual unbiased opinion worth considering when they make a criticism, or have a debate with them or know they're on the wind up.

"Offended by everything" xD. The sort of shite you see from both Blues and Reds in the comments section on Liverpool Echo's Twitter page. Again, some originality wouldn't go amiss.

It's the sort of shite you see from that fellow blue of yours on here directed at Liverpool. Was just using it as a piss take to that.

I actually think you've had a decent window but there's definitely been an air of desperation around some of the deals you've tried or completed today. But saying that seems to have upset a couple of you even though I'm not the only one to think it. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It's the sort of shite you see from that fellow blue of yours on here directed at Liverpool. Was just using it as a piss take to that.

I actually think you've had a decent window but there's definitely been an air of desperation around some of the deals you've tried or completed today. But saying that seems to have upset a couple of you even though I'm not the only one to think it. 

I would still maintain that it wasn't desperate, I think that's too strong a word to describe it. Rojo, though, wasn't desperate either, it would have been if we went in with £25m looking to sign a shite 29 year old defender, like the media reported, but it transpired that we went looking for a loan and refused to pay a fee.

I'm not upset about you or others holding that opinion, I just disagreed.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I would still maintain that it wasn't desperate, I think that's too strong a word to describe it. Rojo, though, wasn't desperate either, it would have been if we went in with £25m looking to sign a shite 29 year old defender, like the media reported, but it transpired that we went looking for a loan and refused to pay a fee.

I'm not upset about you or others holding that opinion, I just disagreed.

If you consider Rojo to be shite, I'm not sure how that isn't considered desperate whether it's loan or permanent. But I'll leave it there, I can't be arsed.

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMike said:

If you consider Rojo to be shite, I'm not sure how that isn't considered desperate whether it's loan or permanent. But I'll leave it there, I can't be arsed.

Because getting a body in as an emergency backup for no fee is a far cry from investing £25m in a player who is only good enough to be an emergency backup and has no resale value.

It might be desperate in terms of "we just need a body in" but not in terms of "Everton are so desperate they were willing to pay £25m for Rojo". Maybe we're arguing over shades of grey though.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Everton love taking Utd's shite whilst selling them their best players. It's not a new thing. 

I reckon Iwobi might be ok though for what it's worth. 

We have exactly one player on our books that we signed from Manchester United, Morgan Schneiderlin. I'll let you have Michael Keane as well though even though he came via Burnley :D.

Meanwhile, United have a grand total of 0 former Everton players on their books now that chubz has left.

You know what they say about facts and good stories though. :whistling:

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

We have exactly one player on our books that we signed from Manchester United, Morgan Schneiderlin. I'll let you have Michael Keane as well though even though he came via Burnley :D.

Meanwhile, United have a grand total of 0 former Everton players on their books now that chubz has left.

You know what they say about facts and good stories though. :whistling:

Dont let facts get in the way mate :ph34r:

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Dont let facts get in the way mate :ph34r:

I know there's been a history of it though. United's shite just isn't of the highest quality anymore, and they've made it too expensive. We turned to Spain a couple of years ago and now only import the finest shite from Barcelona, a much more tasteful delicacy.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

I know there's been a history of it though. United's shite just isn't of the highest quality anymore, and they've made it too expensive. We turned to Spain a couple of years ago and now only import the finest shite from Barcelona, a much more tasteful delicacy.

Fair play pal xD

So if he turns out to be good, just let it be known that Dr. Gonzo - a Liverpool fan - was one of the few people who defended the player even though he was linked to Everton - our rivals and a pack of cunts. And if he ends up being shite, lol - glad to be wrong.

19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Fee is actually £28m rising to a possible £34m. Imagine my shock when it doesn't turn out to be the £35m-£40m reported by Sky.

That's actually a really good deal for you, genuinely think you've underpaid here now I think he'll live up to the price. 

Emery must have seen something either in games or in training to just let him leave, especially at that reasonable price?

I actually dont mind Iwobi. Always struck me as pretty dangerous, without being clinical, which will come with experience. Think he'll do well at Everton. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Emery must have seen something either in games or in training to just let him leave, especially at that reasonable price?

I actually dont mind Iwobi. Always struck me as pretty dangerous, without being clinical. Think he'll do well at Everton. 

I honestly think he was ultimately sacrificed to balance the books. We were desperate to get rid of Mustafi and Mkkhitaryan to clear some wage and bring in some cash, but no fucker wants them. Not to mention Ozil's horrendous deal will still hold us back for a couple of seasons and Elneny still needs to be moved on. Unfortunately these immovable assets will kill us for a while yet. 

Also we went all in with Pepe and we have a promising group of young attackers, so the club felt he could be let go. I still think this is risky, even Nelson who has the most experience is only 19 and its a lot to ask of someone who couldn't get in to Hoffenheim's team. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I actually dont mind Iwobi. Always struck me as pretty dangerous, without being clinical, which will come with experience. Think he'll do well at Everton. 

Probably a disposable player now that Pepe's signed? It hints that Auba might be played on the wing though which is odd as I've always seen him as a #10 out-and-out striker.

• The title was changed to Alex Iwobi - Everton Complete Signing
1 minute ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I honestly think he was ultimately sacrificed to balance the books. We were desperate to get rid of Mustafi and Mkkhitaryan to clear some wage and bring in some cash, but no fucker wants them. Not to mention Ozil's horrendous deal will still hold us back for a couple of seasons and Elneny still needs to be moved on. Unfortunately these immovable assets will kill us for a while yet. 

Also we went all in with Pepe and we have a promising group of young attackers, so the club felt he could be let go. I still think this is risky, even Nelson who has the most experience is only 19 and its a lot to ask of someone who couldn't get in to Hoffenheim's team. 

That makes sense. Cheers pal. 

Archived