talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David Luiz - Chelsea Defender Signs For Arsenal

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/08/2019 at 17:27, SirBalon said:

I have no idea what this news means other than PANIC from Arsenal due to their defensive problems.

Well we once panicked and bought an injured player who never played so things are getting better

He's not the best defender in the world and it doesn't serve any problems for Arsenal long term. But in the short term, I think he's a better defender than Koscienly. Are we going to see some horrific errors (well horrific to Arsenal fans, hilarious for everyone else)? Yeah probably, but we'll also probably see some really good moments from him.

And as @carefreeluke(I think it was him) said pretty eloquently in describing Luiz... he's got that special something you don't see in every player, even in every good player. He has that "big game moment" quality about him, where he's crucially turned up at either end of the pitch (sometimes in the same match) and either scored a vital goal or prevented a vital goal from being scored.

For a long, long, long time Arsenal have lacked players that have a strong mentality. I think he's a player that has the right mentality, even if he's had some absolutely mental moments. He's a big game player with a winning mentality, that's probably gotten more criticism than he deserves because he's had high profile blunders. But he's had many more positive moments than blunders, imo.

I think he'll be a good short term signing for Arsenal. He's not going to revolutionise their defense, definitely not, but he is going to improve it - because now he's the best CB on the books there.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Spike said:

The only thing I dislike about this transfer is that Arsenal and Chelsea deal with eachother far too often.

Yeah, I said this earlier elsewhere - it's definitely strange. Supposedly there is a rivalry but you do business far too often for it to be taken seriously. 

Doesn't happen with any other big London club either. We refuse to do any business with Chelsea/Arsenal and vice versa. 

9 hours ago, Storts said:

Yeah, I said this earlier elsewhere - it's definitely strange. Supposedly there is a rivalry but you do business far too often for it to be taken seriously. 

Doesn't happen with any other big London club either. We refuse to do any business with Chelsea/Arsenal and vice versa. 

Yeah it’s strange mate. I don’t like it and the majority of Chelsea fans don’t either. There was even a very negative feeling toward Cech when he went despite his almost God like status at the club. Arsenal are actually the team I dislike most. It’s happening far too often.

Luiz’s reception will be very interesting when the two teams meet. I imagine given the reaction so far it’s going to be a negative one. 

Cesc was far from well received when he moved to us as well, definitely at the beginning with Arsenal fans. I have never seen Arsenal fans so riled up and that season when they came to Stamford Bridge is still one of the loudest away followings I’ve seen come to the stadium. They were supporting their team but the Fabregas move had also sparked something in them. I think over time the feelings of Arsenal fans towards Fabregas mellowed out, the feelings towards him at the beginning were still mixed but the anger and discontent dominated at the beginning (definitely at least amongst the match going fans). Over time I also think Cesc attempted (to some extent) to mend fences with Arsenal.

11 hours ago, Cicero said:

Christensen took it to social media stating nobody is bigger than the club. Something great to see in this situation. No better time to   cement his place in the XI I suppose. 

Seen it looks a fake profile if it was on Facebook

Lukaku is totally overrated and apart from having immense respect for him due to having made himself a very rich man out of a profession where he's quite mediocre (just about, JUST, good) and he's also made the clubs he's been at a load of money. The mentality for power-to-weight ratio prejudice still exits... (again) JUST!

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

If you lot play 3 at the back with Luiz as sweeper, you’ve made a class stop gap signing. 

I agree... It's easier for a centre-back with limited understanding of the back-line discipline on a line of 4 to work freely. I don't know how much Emery will use a back 3.

This is what Lampard had to say on the matter... 

Frank Lampard insists there was no rift with David Luiz ahead of his surprise £8m move to Arsenal.

The Brazilian is understood to have become a disruptive influence at Chelsea’s Cobham headquarters before moving across London on deadline day.

While the 32-year-old did not train with the first team on Wednesday – a decision Lampard insists was taken by himself and not the player – Chelsea’s new manager was adamant on Friday there had been no breakdown in his relationship with his former team-mate.

He said: ‘We had some conversations over the last week, honest ones and the conclusion was that he should move on. It’s a position (centre-back) that I have a lot of competition.

‘Everyone has to understand that. He has moved on and we wish him the absolute best because he has been a big part of our history. There weren’t any strikes. No fall-outs, just honest conversations. I always respected honesty from a manager, whatever the news and I respected the same back from David.

‘Him not training was a decision I made as I felt that is what I made at the time. You can’t always dictate where a player goes. He’s a good player and has gone to a competitor but it’s just how this situation was.’

27 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

This is what Lampard had to say on the matter... 

Frank Lampard insists there was no rift with David Luiz ahead of his surprise £8m move to Arsenal.

The Brazilian is understood to have become a disruptive influence at Chelsea’s Cobham headquarters before moving across London on deadline day.

While the 32-year-old did not train with the first team on Wednesday – a decision Lampard insists was taken by himself and not the player – Chelsea’s new manager was adamant on Friday there had been no breakdown in his relationship with his former team-mate.

He said: ‘We had some conversations over the last week, honest ones and the conclusion was that he should move on. It’s a position (centre-back) that I have a lot of competition.

‘Everyone has to understand that. He has moved on and we wish him the absolute best because he has been a big part of our history. There weren’t any strikes. No fall-outs, just honest conversations. I always respected honesty from a manager, whatever the news and I respected the same back from David.

‘Him not training was a decision I made as I felt that is what I made at the time. You can’t always dictate where a player goes. He’s a good player and has gone to a competitor but it’s just how this situation was.’

Diplomacy isn't easy but it's one of the greatest tools a good coach can have and I am pretty sure this is what Frank Lampard is showing here which from a perspective of coaching big names, is something that will help him achieve great things.

I like Lampard a lot, he really has an opportunity at Chelsea especially with the constraints he has had to deal with. As long as Chelsea aren’t disastrous he almost has a free hit this season and determine where he wants this squad to go. I suppose he wants to give Christensen and Zouma plenty of opportunities, as well as other youngsters so it made sense for him to move Luiz on. Obviously just didn’t make sense for Lampard and Chelsea to give valuable minutes to a 32 year old when they are resetting the squad.

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Lukaku is totally overrated and apart from having immense respect for him due to having made himself a very rich man out of a profession where he's quite mediocre (just about, JUST, good) and he's also made the clubs he's been at a load of money. The mentality for power-to-weight ratio prejudice still exits... (again) JUST!

He wasn't mediocre for us, he's just gone to shit since he left. He scored 17 goals in his season at West Brom, then 15, 18, 23 and 26 in his four seasons with us. I take the piss out of him a lot but had he made a better move from Everton to work with a manager who could have kept him on track, he should have become one of the best strikers in the world. The criticism I'd make is that he hasn't been able to do that for himself, attitude problems a big part of that in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

He wasn't mediocre for us, he's just gone to shit since he left. He scored 17 goals in his season at West Brom, then 15, 18, 23 and 26 in his four seasons with us. I take the piss out of him a lot but had he made a better move from Everton to work with a manager who could have kept him on track, he should have become one of the best strikers in the world. The criticism I'd make is that he hasn't been able to do that for himself, attitude problems a big part of that in my opinion.

I just think there's nothing special about him aside from being extremely strong and that for a player with his stature he has decent speed although nothing out of the ordinary. His technique is ok but again nothing special which leads me to see him as quite a simple player that's good. He is good, but he has been transferred around and touted as brilliant and as you say, potentially one of the best in the world and I just can't see it. For me he's a slightly (and I mean slightly) better version than Giroud.

When you think of the elite attackers around the world right now and how many attributes they have, I don't see anything unique that would put him on that pedestal.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I just think there's nothing special about him aside from being extremely strong and that for a player with his stature he has decent speed although nothing out of the ordinary. His technique is ok but again nothing special which leads me to see him as quite a simple player that's good. He is good, but he has been transferred around and touted as brilliant and as you say, potentially one of the best in the world and I just can't see it. For me he's a slightly (and I mean slightly) better version than Giroud.

When you think of the elite attackers around the world right now and how many attributes they have, I don't see anything unique that would put him on that pedestal.

Not if you watch him at United.

The Giroud comparison is a shocker mate. I rate Giroud but he's played for Arsenal and Chelsea and has he ever hit double figures in a Premier League season?

Lukaku was a contender for the golden boot twice playing for Everton. When he was younger and hungrier his pace and power was second to none and he'd gobble up nearly any defender in a one on one scenario.

I think it's incredibly harsh to judge what potential he has on his time at United, even if his poor form there is primarily his own fault.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Not if you watch him at United.

The Giroud comparison is a shocker mate. I rate Giroud but he's played for Arsenal and Chelsea and has he ever hit double figures in a Premier League season?

Lukaku was a contender for the golden boot twice playing for Everton. When he was younger and hungrier his pace and power was second to none and he'd gobble up nearly any defender in a one on one scenario.

I think it's incredibly harsh to judge what potential he has on his time at United, even if his poor form there is primarily his own fault.

This is a sentiment where my analysis is concerned. Giroud scored 73 goals in 180 games for Arsenal and those for me are good numbers. He is better than Giroud but to feel he could've been one of the best attackers in the world is something I just can't see. He is one of those that once you've found him out there's very little else, no talent to improvise and do something different.

This is one where we're definitely going to have to agree to disagree. He is no way worth €70m+

Archived