talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David Luiz - Chelsea Defender Signs For Arsenal

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Spike said:

100% agreed. He is a player of contradictions. He can appear to be simultaneously the best and worst defender in the world. Reliably unreliable.

He's incredibly comfortable on the ball, incredibly comfortable. Even with the perhaps change in mindset towards a defender's make up these days, the importance of a defender being comfortable on the ball and able to use it still gets overlooked in football I feel.

Those contradictions can even be found in particular areas of his game. His passing normally gets highlighted as being fantastic. The reality is though that he attempts an awful lot of passes, one thing that frustrates me about him is that he wastes possession a lot, he's very very rarely dispossessed but he'll give up possession a lot through attempting long passes. A good number don't end up going anywhere near the attended target and in some cases, you can't even see who he was aiming for. He has a lot of passes that are overhit and the team has to reset and get the ball back, this frustrates me. At the same time, he makes a good number of good passes. Contradiction. 

He's a player that likes to be playing regularly and needs continuity in playing time. People can point to big occasions where it's gone horribly wrong for Luiz but I can also point to many big matches where it's gone right and those matches where it's gone right seriously outnumber the games where it went wrong. Make what you want of him but he's definitely a big game player, that you can't take away from him. There's a reason he's been a big component of a lot of different trophy-winning teams throughout his career. Does this make him a top, top player? Some would say yes based entirely on the evaluation just mentioned but in my eyes not necessarily given the things I've discussed on here today and over the years but it does mean that he has a certain mentality and character about him. He's a winner.

Wouldn't be that surprised if I was a Chelsea fan. He's ditched them once, he's only doing it again.

The only surprise is that Arsenal believe he is the answer, when you could probably make a Premiership years on Sky filled with a catalogue of his errors.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Lampard made it clear in his initial presser that he wants nothing to do with players at the club that aren’t committed. 

Sad it has to end this way, but I can see Lampard urging the club to sell him. 

Fair play to him.

No player is bigger than the club really. If Luiz doesn't want to be there, then so be it. Any manager would rather have players at their disposal that want to be there and actually play for the club.

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

He's incredibly comfortable on the ball, incredibly comfortable. Even with the perhaps change in mindset towards a defender's make up these days, the importance of a defender being comfortable on the ball and able to use it still gets overlooked in football I feel.

Those contradictions can even be found in particular areas of his game. His passing normally gets highlighted as being fantastic. The reality is though that he attempts an awful lot of passes, one thing that frustrates me about him is that he wastes possession a lot, he's very very rarely dispossessed but he'll give up possession a lot through attempting long passes. A good number don't end up going anywhere near the attended target and in some cases, you can't even see who he was aiming for. He has a lot of passes that are overhit and the team has to reset and get the ball back, this frustrates me. At the same time, he makes a good number of good passes. Contradiction. 

He's a player that likes to be playing regularly and needs continuity in playing time. People can point to big occasions where it's gone horribly wrong for Luiz but I can also point to many big matches where it's gone right and those matches where it's gone right seriously outnumber the games where it went wrong. Make what you want of him but he's definitely a big game player, that you can't take away from him. There's a reason he's been a big component of a lot of different trophy-winning teams throughout his career. Does this make him a top, top player? Some would say yes based entirely on the evaluation just mentioned but in my eyes not necessarily given the things I've discussed on here today and over the years but it does mean that he has a certain mentality and character about him. He's a winner.

Very well put mate... pretty much covers everything about him in a nutshell.. can be great on his day when he is on the ball but when it goes tits up you do wonder what all the fuss is about, one things for sure he does have character, not sure if his commitment levels were showing through for Lampard or if this move is just a result of a heart to heart at some point which left him or both feeling as though he was not going to be 100% part of the plan for this season and hence the move.. 

56 minutes ago, Stan said:

Fair play to him.

No player is bigger than the club really. If Luiz doesn't want to be there, then so be it. Any manager would rather have players at their disposal that want to be there and actually play for the club.

Looks like I was right. Been reported Lampard forced Luiz to train separate from the players to not distract them. 

I'd play Rudiger, Christensen and Zouma all ahead of him. Only thing Zouma lacks is that he is super uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. Everything else is top notch. Obviously Lampard told him that he won't be a guaranteed starter like with Sarri where he could do no wrong. Hope he does fuck off if he refused to train, don't need cunts in a team that is under redevelopment.

He has his faults but for £8m this is a pretty nice deal, especially with Koscielny going for £5m. With the addition of Tierney our defence should be somewhat improved and once Holding & Bellerin return hopefully we will be able to defend. 

• Administrator

Even though Luiz for £8m is the cheaper deal, to get Tierney for only £25m is good business. Definitely the better value-for-money deal. Arsenal done well there.

49 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

He has his faults but for £8m this is a pretty nice deal, especially with Koscielny going for £5m. With the addition of Tierney our defence should be somewhat improved and once Holding & Bellerin return hopefully we will be able to defend. 

Luiz is a shocking defending, he is good on the ball but he struggled with John Terry beside him,  how is he going to cope in our defence!  very worrying.

9 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Luiz is a shocking defending, he is good on the ball but he struggled with John Terry beside him,  how is he going to cope in our defence!  very worrying.

The CB market is dreadful at the moment, it's so difficult to find the right one at any sort of value. Just look at United paying £80m for Harry Maguire.

Clearly we needed a CB with Koscielny going and although he is not perfect, to bring in a player of Luiz's calibre for £8m is very good business. When you consider we will have Saliba next season who seems to be a future first team CB, Luiz at least gives us added depth for a season. 

• Administrator

Still trying to get my head around what happened between May and 24/48 hours ago.

What happened between Luiz & Lampard for him to say what he did in May, to desperately wanting to leave and forcing through a move to one of your rivals?

Arsenal have done well here to get the deal done so quickly though and so cheaply.

Yeah he's 32 but he's a much better option than any other CB they have. So they've gone some way to solving that problem especially after losing Koscielny. The left side is vastly improved with Tierney, as well. 

Did Emery ever manage Luiz when they were at PSG? 

• The title was changed to David Luiz - Chelsea Defender Signs For Arsenal
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Still trying to get my head around what happened between May and 24/48 hours ago.

What happened between Luiz & Lampard for him to say what he did in May, to desperately wanting to leave and forcing through a move to one of your rivals?

Arsenal have done well here to get the deal done so quickly though and so cheaply.

Yeah he's 32 but he's a much better option than any other CB they have. So they've gone some way to solving that problem especially after losing Koscielny. The left side is vastly improved with Tierney, as well. 

Did Emery ever manage Luiz when they were at PSG? 

Yeah, he probably sent him a messge. 

3 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I wonder how much this from the past mattered in the present situation. 

I came across this on Twitter. Makes Luiz come across as hypocritical. 

lcHJcgg.jpg

Or it might just be as simple as Luiz can’t stand Lampard, or the other way around, or both

Archived