The better place to talk football.

Athletic Club Bilbao Discussion

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

img_jecheverria_20170503-121618_imagenes

Iñaki Williams: "Us people from Bilbao are born where we want"

Athletic Club Bilbao striker Iñaki Williams tweeted a wonderful video that has to do with the Athletic Bilbao Foundation where the Basque club help out various parts of poverty stricken areas of the world.

This particular tweet is in reference to a video a village where Athletic have built a school and the thanks they've given the club in their own particular way which Iñaki Williams has decided to share with the world via his Twitter account.  The village is in Tanzania.

Iñaki Williams responds with "Us from Bilbao are born where we want" adding a lion at the end which is the nickname of Athletic Bilbao 'The Lions'.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Athletic were destroyed by Celta last night, 3-0.

What's happened to this side?  The way things are going, they should be wary of what could happen...

It actually goes to show how good Valverde was because before he arrived they were going through the same issues and even flirted with the possibility of relegation two years in a row.

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Athletic were destroyed by Celta last night, 3-0.

What's happened to this side?  The way things are going, they should be wary of what could happen...

It actually goes to show how good Valverde was because before he arrived they were going through the same issues and even flirted with the possibility of relegation two years in a row.

It's all about the manager mate. Valverde did very well there and even though he could have done a little bit more, he kept them up there as a competitive side.

They need a new man in. It's not like they can't attract managers either as many would love to manage that club.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:59 PM, The Rebel CRS said:

It's all about the manager mate. Valverde did very well there and even though he could have done a little bit more, he kept them up there as a competitive side.

They need a new man in. It's not like they can't attract managers either as many would love to manage that club.

Yeah, the head coach is extremely important at a club that's as unique as Athletic Bilbao.  It's not easy to administer who should and shouldn't play with the pool of players available and at Athletic you're always having to be blooding in the youth coming in from Lezama for following seasons because there's not much to sign from anywhere else.

But it is a very attractive club to coach and they could choose from almost anyone to be honest.

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah, the head coach is extremely important at a club that's as unique as Athletic Bilbao.  It's not easy to administer who should and shouldn't play with the pool of players available and at Athletic you're always having to be blooding in the youth coming in from Lezama for following seasons because there's not much to sign from anywhere else.

But it is a very attractive club to coach and they could choose from almost anyone to be honest.

It's a very difficult job to take on as well due to only being able to purchase certain players. Valverde was actually perfect for them. I believe they could have done better at times under him, although they had consistently good finishes in la liga.

Luckily for them, there are easily 5 or so worse sides than them this season, so I doubt they will go down. But it could potentially be a massive struggle if they don't make some changes quick.

• 2 months later...

U392229_071_20180115132048-kXHE-U4475430

Iñaki Williams renews with Athletic until 2025

Iñaki Williams has been the object of much speculation and various offers from the Premier League, Serie ‘A’, the Bundesliga and Ligue1... But in the end he’s decided to stay with the club that brought him up in the world of football.  The player just turned 23 has signed a new contract at Athletic Club Bilbao until 2025 with a buy-out clause of €108m (£96m) which is more in tune with the prices being thrown around these days.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Asura said:

I remember how great they played under Marcelo Bielsa, thats the first time I got to know about him. Later on I researched more to only know how the footballing world refers to him as a mad genius. 

Yep, they call him “El Loco Bielsa”

5 minutes ago, Asura said:

I tried to read any books about him but I couldnt find anything in english. Do you know any mate?

I’ve never read any books on him mate, but he is a fetish of mine... A football scientist as Guardiola calls him. There are anecdotes from El Flaco Menotti where all three of them with a few bottles of wine in Rosario would stay up talking until 4am about football.

Bielsa is an amazing character but players can only handle him for 2 seasons max.

@El_Loco (notice his nick) is a disciple of Bielsa and he can direct you in all of this I’m sure. ;) 

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I’ve never read any books on him mate, but he is a fetish of mine... A football scientist as Guardiola calls him. There are anecdotes from El Flaco Menotti where all three of them with a few bottles of wine in Rosario would stay up talking until 4am about football.

Bielsa is an amazing character but players can only handle him for 2 seasons max.

@El_Loco (notice his nick) is a disciple of Bielsa and he can direct you in all of this I’m sure. ;) 

Can you share any of those anectodes mate, when you can?

Yeah I know el loco is his fan, he also has Bielsa's pic as his avatar

12 hours ago, Asura said:

I remember how great they played under Marcelo Bielsa, thats the first time I got to know about him. Later on I researched more to only know how the footballing world refers to him as a mad genius. 

The football they played under Bielsa was immense.

Those 2 performances against United over the 2 legs will always be something I will remember. It was brilliant to be honest and even United fans would agree, as they were left stunned over those games.

On 30/01/2018 at 16:02, Asura said:

Can you share any of those anectodes mate, when you can?

Yeah I know el loco is his fan, he also has Bielsa's pic as his avatar

When he arrived at Athletic, Bielsa called the club´s president and said: "Mr. President, I only watched the past 55 Athletic matches. But don´t worry, 42 of those I watched twice." xD

Another one that "La Brujita" Verón told. When he was the coach of Argentina´s national team, Bielsa gathered the players and asked if they preferred to play with 3 or 4 players in the midfield. The players told him they´d like to play with 4 in the midfield. Then, Bielsa told them: "Okay, guys, thanks for your opinion. We´re playing with 3 men on the midfield. Meeting is over. Bye." xD

Hey, @SirBalon . If someday I go to London, we should do "a Rosario meeting" to talk football. xD

2 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

When he arrived at Athletic, Bielsa called the club´s president and said: "Mr. President, I only watched the past 55 Athletic matches. But don´t worry, 42 of those I watched twice." xD

Another one that "La Brujita" Verón told. When he was the coach of Argentina´s national team, Bielsa gathered the players and asked if they preferred to play with 3 or 4 players in the midfield. The players told him they´d like to play with 4 in the midfield. Then, Bielsa told them: "Okay, guys, thanks for your opinion. We´re playing with 3 men on the midfield. Meeting is over. Bye." xD

Hey, @SirBalon . If someday I go to London, we should do "a Rosario meeting" to talk football. xD

Hahaha That’s brilliant! I’ve got a number of great Bielsa anecdotes that I’ll post here when I’ve got a moment for @Asura.

And as for doing an all night debate or two with some great bottles of wine here in London... You’re on mate and it’s be an honour.  We could even invite the witch from the north @The Rebel CRS;)

18 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Hahaha That’s brilliant! I’ve got a number of great Bielsa anecdotes that I’ll post here when I’ve got a moment for @Asura.

And as for doing an all night debate or two with some great bottles of wine here in London... You’re on mate and it’s be an honour.  We could even invite the witch from the north @The Rebel CRS;)

I'm up for that. I'll have you all smoking marijuana in no time :ph34r:

• 1 year later...

img_milopez_20190812-181650_imagenes_md_

Athletic Club Bilbao announce the renewal of Iñaki Williams. There was quite a bit of uncertainty surrounding Iñaki's future at Athletic due to various clubs wanting to sign the young striker but in the end he's decided to accept Athletic's offer and will now be staying til 2028.

@The Rebel CRS

7 hours ago, SirBalon said:

img_milopez_20190812-181650_imagenes_md_

Athletic Club Bilbao announce the renewal of Iñaki Williams. There was quite a bit of uncertainty surrounding Iñaki's future at Athletic due to various clubs wanting to sign the young striker but in the end he's decided to accept Athletic's offer and will now be staying til 2028.

@The Rebel CRS

Wise decision on his behalf if you ask me.

Went to the London Stadium for the friendly against West Ham the other week. Was a choice between that or a competitive game, of which the only ones were in the ninth tier, so it was quite an easy decision to see a club of such trad and history. 

Inaki Williams is some player. 

Archived