talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Xherdan Shaqiri - Liverpool Refuse Loan Bids

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Doesnt make sense. Last day of the transfer window and we're going to need him to compete on all fronts. As away from the scenes as he's been I think he can offer something to our attack and goes on these short runs where he does very well. Can't see us letting him go.

• 2 weeks later...

I do feel he's been under used though. 

This transfer window arrangement really does make premier league clubs vulnerable though. You can tempt the fringe players with the offer of more first team football and even if the club say no they have at least destabilized the player and got them thinking about a move.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Harry said:

We're lucky he stayed. 

Apparently he refused a call up to go to the Swiss national team so he can spend more time trying to break into the team here. And according to a few, he’s been spending extra time in training doing extra work with coaching staff.

So yeah we’re lucky he stayed because he’s apparently desperate to prove himself here. I think he’s a pretty good player and sometimes we should be playing a double pivot in the centre with Fabinho + 1 other and having him involved in the 3 of a 4-2-3-1. But I don’t blame Klopp for sticking with what works.

But I do appreciate that he’s desperate for his chance here.

• The title was changed to Xherdan Shaqiri - Set to Stay at Liverpool
  • 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

I think there's a player in Shaqiri when hes high on confidence and getting game time. He is also one of those players who is always putting himself through the gears at any chance he gets so it will be interesting to see how Klopp uses him when the fixture list starts to get congested. If he can get some form behind him I can see him becoming a very useful utility player on the wing to close out games and drive at defenses to keep them back.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I think there's a player in Shaqiri when hes high on confidence and getting game time. He is also one of those players who is always putting himself through the gears at any chance he gets so it will be interesting to see how Klopp uses him when the fixture list starts to get congested. If he can get some form behind him I can see him becoming a very useful utility player on the wing to close out games and drive at defenses to keep them back.

I think Shaq should leave Liverpool tbh. He's 28 and incredibly talented but Klopp is pretty clearly reluctant to use him presumably as he's not the best fit for our system compared to other bench players.

He's too good to endure that status quo.

18 hours ago, Harry said:

I think Shaq should leave Liverpool tbh. He's 28 and incredibly talented but Klopp is pretty clearly reluctant to use him presumably as he's not the best fit for our system compared to other bench players.

He's too good to endure that status quo.

So who do you think we should use for squad depth then? Because any player that's any good you suggest should leave to get playing time? 

41 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

So who do you think we should use for squad depth then? Because any player that's any good you suggest should leave to get playing time? 

Whoever Klopp feels fits his system better. Because I'd prefer we have squad players Klopp is enthusiastic about slotting into our lineup and he's pretty clearly reluctant to play Shaqiri. 

He likely came to Liverpool hoping he'd get his chance to shine but I'm not sure he'll ever get that chance under Klopp.

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Harry said:

Whoever Klopp feels fits his system better. Because I'd prefer we have squad players Klopp is enthusiastic about slotting into our lineup and he's pretty clearly reluctant to play Shaqiri. 

I don't think Klopp is reluctant to play him, I just think he gets very little time because Salah, Mane and Origi are better options to have fit. You can play him in Origi's position but he is ideal in Salah's position because he has the ability to put in crosses and actually use his pace against defenses. He won't go int the winter and I think we will see more of him in the upcoming games, I think more CL games honestly. He's not a bad player at all and at one point was our super-sub so but he's not suited to a full 90 minutes and probably never has been either. 

19 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I don't think Klopp is reluctant to play him, I just think he gets very little time because Salah, Mane and Origi are better options to have fit. You can play him in Origi's position but he is ideal in Salah's position because he has the ability to put in crosses and actually use his pace against defenses. He won't go int the winter and I think we will see more of him in the upcoming games, I think more CL games honestly. He's not a bad player at all and at one point was our super-sub so but he's not suited to a full 90 minutes and probably never has been either. 

I get what you're saying but I think it was fairly telling that Klopp barely used him in the knockout stages of the Champions league and the final few months of last season when the fixtures were must win.

I'd love to be proven wrong as I think he's a great squad player for us to have, but if Klopp doesn't see it that way, which is what I think then I'd rather we replace him.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

He likely came to Liverpool hoping he'd get his chance to shine but I'm not sure he'll ever get that chance under Klopp.

Klopp said...

Speaking at his pre-match media conference at Melwood training ground ahead of Liverpool FC’s trip to Crystal Palace on Saturday, Klopp said of Shaqiri:

“Yes, he offers an option in attack, but he needs to be fit for that.

“That is all we are concerned about at the moment. He was out long and he trained and was really good in moments and in other moments it was different to the rehab stuff he did before.

“All good, the most intense period is coming so he will be ready for that hopefully if nothing happens again and you will see him on the pitch, 100%.”

33 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Klopp said...

Speaking at his pre-match media conference at Melwood training ground ahead of Liverpool FC’s trip to Crystal Palace on Saturday, Klopp said of Shaqiri:

“Yes, he offers an option in attack, but he needs to be fit for that.

“That is all we are concerned about at the moment. He was out long and he trained and was really good in moments and in other moments it was different to the rehab stuff he did before.

“All good, the most intense period is coming so he will be ready for that hopefully if nothing happens again and you will see him on the pitch, 100%.”

Don't you think that sounds fairly non committal though mate? Like the stuff Klopp would say about anyone in his squad? I could see him making those sort of comments about Alberto Moreno a year ago.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don't you think that sounds fairly non committal though mate? Like the stuff Klopp would say about anyone in his squad? I could see him making those sort of comments about Alberto Moreno a year ago.

Shaq has been injured though? I'm not sure playing him whilst injured would be good for either him or us. 

12 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Shaq has been injured though? I'm not sure playing him whilst injured would be good for either him or us. 

Now yes but he was basically an unused sub for every game for the last 3 months of last season except for the Barcelona return leg.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Now yes but he was basically an unused sub for every game for the last 3 months of last season except for the Barcelona return leg.

I actually agree with you on your point that Klopp might not totally trust him. I also agree that Shaq will probably be sold in the next summer window. I was just pointing out that injuries have played a part. 

See, I'm much more rational when I'm not absolutely wankered like I was last night xD

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.f62105d772c076ae62a8f49f8eba2b9b.png

Liverpool 'reject loan offer for Xherdan Shaqiri, Roma are keen to hand the 28-year-old regular minutes at Stadio Olimpico after a serious knee injury to Nicolo Zaniolo, according to Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano, Roma are keen to hand the 28-year-old regular minutes at Stadio Olimpico after a serious knee injury to Nicolo Zaniolo.

Romano adds that Liverpool has informed any interested clubs that there is 'no chance' of a deal being concluded at the midway point of the season.

(SPORTSMOLE)

• The title was changed to Xherdan Shaqiri - Roma Linked

So no chance of it happening in January - but there was talk of us signing another attacking player in the summer and we'll have some loanees back with the squad with some first team experience that'll need to be assessed in the summer as well. So it's possible he makes a move to Roma in the summer.

But in the short term, he's got a role to play with us this season and I can't see him letting him go. It's a long season and we need depth and he's proven he can be a good fill in for us when we need him.

• Subscriber

Shaqiri is such an odd player. When he was on form he was superb and then injuries stopped that and he was also part of that squad that did the unthinkable against Barcelona in the CL so he has some game to him. Sadly, its consistency we need and like Lallana I do think the guy has so much to offer if he can find a run to get him there but that will never happen with the pecking order he is working against and lack of game time.

• The title was changed to Xherdan Shaqiri - Liverpool Refuse Loan Bids
  • The topic was locked

Archived