Cultural Shocks

football forum

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Harry said:

Culture shocks of places I’ve been:

India

1. The disregard people appear to have for the value of their own life. (People would rather run through the middle of a busy intersection to save 30 seconds despite a 25% chance of death, similar with overtaking on roads - on a cliff top road they will overtake on the cliff edge shoulder around a bend to save 5 seconds)

2. The huge contrast in extreme wealth and poverty. I remember partying with this rich dude in Delhi who covered his entire house in Persian rugs, and we had his driver in the car park waiting for us to come out of this bar, who was 22 hours into his shift, and being paid overtime of $1 to go beyond his usual 12 hours, whilst I ordered a red bull & vodka inside for $30.

3. How jarring it is to see cows just standing there at an intersection inside the CBD of the capital city as if they live on the corner of this block.

4. The importance of sanitation on a countries ability to improve mortality rates and quality of life for its citizens

UK

Watching premier league in a pub at midday. Mid fucking day. Not mid night. Mid day

Agree with India pretty much.

as for the UK, far out having the football on at that time is amazing. I was in the North London area one weekend and wandered into a pub around 12-1. Came out at like 7 after the football absolutely steaming. Good times. But... one pub I was in didn’t serve any food. That was the strangest thing I’ve ever seen in England. Is thst common??

I have far too many things to say about other countries but I’ll just say everything in Beijing just utterly different and crap.

3 hours ago, Berserker said:

I met a Canadian once and he was a real prick, met a yank couple and they were sound.

My experiences are the opposite. Almost every single Canadian I’ve ever met has been amazing and I feel they’re similar to us. Almost every American I’ve met have been insufferable. 

Just now, Toinho said:

Agree with India pretty much.

as for the UK, far out having the football on at that time is amazing. I was in the North London area one weekend and wandered into a pub around 12-1. Came out at like 7 after the football absolutely steaming. Good times. But... one pub I was in didn’t serve any food. That was the strangest thing I’ve ever seen in England. Is thst common??

I have far too many things to say about other countries but I’ll just say everything in Beijing just utterly different and crap.

A lot of ‘proper’ pubs that are old fashioned still don’t serve food. It’s a boozer.

3 minutes ago, Toinho said:

My experiences are the opposite. Almost every single Canadian I’ve ever met has been amazing and I feel they’re similar to us. Almost every American I’ve met have been insufferable. 

Yeah probably it's not the norm, this guy was some sort of sjw, very opinionated and extremely annoying. The couple were backpackers i think and they were pretty cool.

58 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Yeah probably it's not the norm, this guy was some sort of sjw, very opinionated and extremely annoying. The couple were backpackers i think and they were pretty cool.

Having said what I did though, one of my best mates is American! I’m only talking from personal experiences and that’s all we can do really! The Americans on here are decent, of course! 

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Harry said:

1. The disregard people appear to have for the value of their own life. (People would rather run through the middle of a busy intersection to save 30 seconds despite a 25% chance of death, similar with overtaking on roads - on a cliff top road they will overtake on the cliff edge shoulder around a bend to save 5 seconds)

This is a very interesting one; I notice the same in Thailand and Cambodia in many ocassions but especially when it comes to traffic safety. In a country with one of the largest number of traffic-related injuries and fatalities in the world, the majority doesn't wear crash helmets, have no qualms with drunk-driving and general reckless behaviour on the roads. I think it's mostly due to the culture deeply rooted in ancient mysticism, local folklore as well as certain deterministic concepts of Buddhism/Hinduism; it's not the disregard for the value of one's own life but rather the belief that they are invincible and nothing bad can happen to them as long as they live and act "the right way". The majority of the population is extremely superstitious; you'll see them wearing various lucky charms and amulets that are blessed by the monks and are supposed to repel evil, bad luck, illness and misfortune, and bring security, riches and good luck. Almost every driver has a statue of Buddha and jasmine garlands in the car as an offering to the spirit guardian for protection; every new house receives a blessing from the monks as well as a "ghost house" where daily offering are made to the spirits; almost everyone goes to the temple regularly to burn incense and make offerings and get their blessings, pray to different deities and so on. Even with more education regarding traffic safety and better law enforcement, behaviours resulting from core cultural/religious/spiritual beliefs are extremely resistant to change. Very fascinating.

On 09/08/2019 at 01:19, nudge said:

Ha it's the same here in and honestly I much prefer being addressed as "sister" instead of "madam" xD 

I am fine with brother. Hurts when college going kids call me 'uncle':D. Man I just hit my thirties, and that's harsh. 

19 hours ago, Harry said:

Culture shocks of places I’ve been:

India

2. The huge contrast in extreme wealth and poverty. I remember partying with this rich dude in Delhi who covered his entire house in Persian rugs, and we had his driver in the car park waiting for us to come out of this bar, who was 22 hours into his shift, and being paid overtime of $1 to go beyond his usual 12 hours, whilst I ordered a red bull & vodka inside for $30.

3. How jarring it is to see cows just standing there at an intersection inside the CBD of the capital city as if they live on the corner of this block.

4. The importance of sanitation on a countries ability to improve mortality rates and quality of life for its citizens

1)Absolutely spot on about driving, crossing roads, but you forgot to mention traveling in trains or crossing train tracks. It's worse there. 

4) Prime Minister has initiated a cleanliness culture since 2014. Has picked up hugely in some cities (like Indore), but overall things are moving at a slow pace. The problem is the lack of civic sense. Will take a decade or so for the rest of the country to catch up. 

Agree with the other two points, as well. 

6 hours ago, Berserker said:

It was probably just the 1 person you met, but I'm under the impression that Canada is the most polite of the Commonwealth countries. I personally find South Americans much more approachable and friendly.

On 10/08/2019 at 06:23, Toinho said:

I had really good food in Beijing, tbf. But that was probably what I enjoyed most about Beijing and the rest was kinda shite while also feeling like I was in a different planet. Harbin was overall much better than Beijing, still felt very alien and it was so fucking cold - and the food was better there too.

China's fucking weird. So that should be an indication of how big of the culture shock there was for me, that's really the best way I can describe the country: it's weird.

Archived