talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How did your transfer window go?

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Selling Maguire for an obscene fee and helping fund Tielemans/Perez deals represents good business for me this summer. Getting Tielemans signed permanently was huge for us.

Maguire is replaceable unlike some other players in the past who haven't been (Mahrez & Kante) and they were sold for much less. He wasn't even our best defender last season so it was good to take such a large fee for him. 

Signing a centre-back to help with depth there wasn't a priority so I'm not too disheartened that we haven't got anyone. I suspect we may be in for someone next summer as can't see Evans/Morgan being there for too much longer at their ages. Morgan I suspect won't start much at all this season but he's a big character for the squad so good to keep him around. I suspect he'll retire next summer.

We've signed a highly-rated right-back from Luton as well to 1) replace our previous back-up Danny Simpson who was released on a free and 2) fits the same mould as Ricardo Pereira in that he's quite an attacking full-back and likes to get forward to support attacks.

We've let Shinji go to Malaga - Perez is his direct replacement you'd think. Okazaki was getting on a bit as well so needed replacing. 

I'd have liked us to sign a winger but given we've signed Praet today it hints that Rodgers will play with a diamond formation and use a wider tactic as a secondary Plan B option.

We've kept the majority of our players and spine of the squad. 

I'd give it an 8/10 largely based on transfer fees used and retaining several players who are good enough to help us push for a strong season as well as adding to areas required.

Really like your window too - apart from the lack of replacement centre back - although I feel like last year's transactions were in preparation for this.

Maguire you had to sell. Obscene money for a good player, that is totally replaceable for you in the long run. Seems like he was a players favourite though so will see how they react to losing him.

Think you're right on next summer being the big one in terms of the squad. Morgan surely can't keep going - amazing really that he's still able to perform at the level he can, but you need that long term solution to replace him, if you don't think others can step up. 

Really like Justin but it's a massive step up from league one to the premier league - you're lucky to have such a good right back for him to learn from though. Do you think you could see both of them in the team at the same time occasionally? Know Pereira can play on the wing if necessary.

Perez was great business and think he's the perfect partner for Vardy. Got both in my fantasy team so hope they do well.

Only seen Praet play a handful of times so can't really comment. I can say though I HATE the diamond formation when we play it - never seems to work. So hope it goes better for you xD Think we will end up playing it more this year though - with Winks at the base, Lo Celso and Ndombele in the middle and Alli at the top behind Kane and Son.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't blame anyone for not signing Dybala - apparently the fees his previous agents want for the image rights would cost the buying club an additional 40m Euros ontop of whatever they're paying Juve.

Yep, his agent has basically cost himself absolute millions and his client a decent move.... because of greed. 

I'm pretty happy overall, we have identified all our problem areas for at least this season and cleared a significant amount of wages and deadwood. Tierney and Pepe the stand-outs young with still a massive upside and will help out with problem areas. Luiz coming in for Koscielny is a very nice deal given the circumstances and Saliba is a very exciting prospect. Ceballos is another decent signing although only on loan, hopefully he can make a decent impact. 

My only negatives is the sale of Iwobi, we have got a fantastic deal, but we have no real replacement and this leaves us one injury away from Mkhitaryan. Hopefully Nelson can step up to the plate because we're going to need him to. Also a bit worried about the new deals apparently being given to Aubameyang and Lacazette. Aubameyang I don't mind, not his biggest fan but he does scores goals and only has 2 years left. Lacazette though is one where I feel like we are shooting ourselves in the foot with. He still has 3 years left and earns more than enough for what he produces. I feel he'll turn into another immovable contract if we are not careful. Raul has done a very admirable job though so I'll back his decisions, It'll be good when Edu is finally settled in. 

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, ... said:

Think you needed another CB for it to be a 10 but really impressed with the majority of your work.

Gomes was a must sign - fits in so well with that squad and team and helps to keep you ticking over.

Kean obviously the big signing of the lot. Essential you got a proper striker in and he has all the attributes to be a major success in the PL. Just hope he settles well, and doesn't get homesick. Hope he has some good people around him as that would be my only worry with a young Italian coming to the Prem. Otherwise extremely talented and hope he does well.

Sidibe is a bit of a gamble but win win for you really because if he recaptures his previous form then you've got a bargain and if he continues to play like he has the last season or so with Monaco then you can send him back no harm done

Iwobi I'm not sold on at all - he seems to have the attributes and ability but not the brain. One of those players I find constantly making the wrong decision or falling at the final hurdle. He's still young though - and has plenty of time to develop an end product so it's a good opportunity for him, but it was certainly an overpay for now. Ultimately though if he improves the team, like Richardson did, and hits the ground running that will be forgotten. 

Gbamin and Delph are good signings in their own right although think you'll miss gueye a lot initially. Hope Gbamin can fill those shoes even if he is a different player.

Lossl good back up keeper. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't blame anyone for not signing Dybala - apparently the fees his previous agents want for the image rights would cost the buying club an additional 40m Euros ontop of whatever they're paying Juve.

That fee is actually inaccurate, it was nowhere near that high, although still pretty expensive. Juve were actually really accommodating and tried their best to help solve the solution but the biggest problem was time. It's a really intricate deal to do and ultimately we ran out of the necessary time to do it. Shame but we have to move on. 

He's definitely foolish as madlad said though. He's having his career dictated to him because of a silly decision a few years ago. 

1 minute ago, Storts said:

That fee is actually inaccurate, it was nowhere near that high, although still pretty expensive. Juve were actually really accommodating and tried their best to help solve the solution but the biggest problem was time. It's a really intricate deal to do and ultimately we ran out of the necessary time to do it. Shame but we have to move on. 

He's definitely foolish as madlad said though. He's having his career dictated to him because of a silly decision a few years ago. 

I don't think it's his or his current agent's fault. His current agent's his brother and both he and the player have sued his former agent (which I think is a company, for some reason - maybe an agency? well definitely an agency if it's a company full of agents...) - I think there was a proposed settlement of 15m, but one of the parties thought "nah fuck this, let's go to trial over it." But until that's resolved, he doesn't own his own image rights and any transfer (at least to an English club) would need to include that.

And I'd seen a bunch of different fees quoted regarding that imaging rights issue. Some were as low as that settlement 15m Euros... some were in between the one I went with. I went for the fucking sensational number though. Not sure why. Maybe I'm looking to get a job at Sky?xD

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Storts said:

Really like your window too - apart from the lack of replacement centre back - although I feel like last year's transactions were in preparation for this.

Maguire you had to sell. Obscene money for a good player, that is totally replaceable for you in the long run. Seems like he was a players favourite though so will see how they react to losing him.

Think you're right on next summer being the big one in terms of the squad. Morgan surely can't keep going - amazing really that he's still able to perform at the level he can, but you need that long term solution to replace him, if you don't think others can step up. 

Really like Justin but it's a massive step up from league one to the premier league - you're lucky to have such a good right back for him to learn from though. Do you think you could see both of them in the team at the same time occasionally? Know Pereira can play on the wing if necessary.

Perez was great business and think he's the perfect partner for Vardy. Got both in my fantasy team so hope they do well.

Only seen Praet play a handful of times so can't really comment. I can say though I HATE the diamond formation when we play it - never seems to work. So hope it goes better for you xD Think we will end up playing it more this year though - with Winks at the base, Lo Celso and Ndombele in the middle and Alli at the top behind Kane and Son.

Before I start about our squad, I love that Lo Celso is in the Premier League now. Seen him a lot for Betis and he stood out like a sore thumb sometimes. Always influential. Only 23 but plays beyond his years at times. Shame it could only be for a season but he's a really good signing for you I think. Is there a fee you can pay to get him permanently? Do you think Eriksen is going to leave? 

We've got Benkovic who, if he can get over injury problems, can slot right in - he performed really well under Rodgers at Celtic. Seemed to get rave reviews from their fans like Van Dijk did. Soyuncu I'd expect to see much more regularly - I think the CB purchases last week were probably preparing for Maguire to go last summer or in January. 

Justin will definitely come on as a RB if we see Pereira on the wing. Pereira's sometimes been better than Gray on the wing which says a lot about the latter xD. That's only when we're chasing games though. With us playing a diamond I can see Pereira & Chilwell being very effective and involved in goals - good picks for assists in Fantasy teams...

Perez was an odd one - a signing totally out of the blue and for a relatively decent £30m. Obviously seeing Newcastle needed to sell for the £££ and we snapped him up quickly in the window. I don't usually like doing any business on deadline day so I was glad to see we got majority of our business done early on in the summer, too.

37 minutes ago, Storts said:

I think it's better than not bad mate - I think it's certainly a good window, your best one in sometime, and one that despite all that nonsense talk at the start has shown some real thought and promise.

You've signed a third attacking player - one that has come off a sensational season and was supposedly chased by half of Europe. He will add another level to that forward line and can hopefully pick up some of the slack for Ramsey's departure and Ozil's invisibility. 

You've brought in a top quality centre mid on loan. Whilst in my own post I've said how delighted I am we avoided it and didn't go down that path. For Arsenal it makes more sense as you have to get back into the Champions League and he improves your chances of doing that.

Tierney I'm not sold on - but it's a problem position and it's been identified and dealt with. We shall see how he settles in England - I think he can be suspect defensively and if paired with Mustafi there might be problems but only time will tell. 

Saliba is an excellent signing for the future - so much promise - and getting Luiz in to cover that position and replace Koscielny for the year is smart, even if it's not the most glamorous of signings. 

Martinelli looks promising too.

I think you should be happy that Arsenal are finally identifying problem areas and beginning to address them. They've needed a massive squad overhaul for sometime and it can't all be done in a year, but you need to try and put a team together to get back into the CL to accelerate this process and I really think they've done that this summer. Only time will tell but right now i'd put you as favourites to get back into the top 4.

Great to see you back mate. ;)

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Before I start about our squad, I love that Lo Celso is in the Premier League now. Seen him a lot for Betis and he stood out like a sore thumb sometimes. Always influential. Only 23 but plays beyond his years at times. Shame it could only be for a season but he's a really good signing for you I think. Is there a fee you can pay to get him permanently? Do you think Eriksen is going to leave? 

We've got Benkovic who, if he can get over injury problems, can slot right in - he performed really well under Rodgers at Celtic. Seemed to get rave reviews from their fans like Van Dijk did. Soyuncu I'd expect to see much more regularly - I think the CB purchases last week were probably preparing for Maguire to go last summer or in January. 

Justin will definitely come on as a RB if we see Pereira on the wing. Pereira's sometimes been better than Gray on the wing which says a lot about the latter xD. That's only when we're chasing games though. With us playing a diamond I can see Pereira & Chilwell being very effective and involved in goals - good picks for assists in Fantasy teams...

Perez was an odd one - a signing totally out of the blue and for a relatively decent £30m. Obviously seeing Newcastle needed to sell for the £££ and we snapped him up quickly in the window. I don't usually like doing any business on deadline day so I was glad to see we got majority of our business done early on in the summer, too.

Yeah really happy with Lo Celso, he's always been incredibly talented. PSG made a huge mistake letting him go, and was a bit of a coup for Betis in the first place, but last season he was very good and he hopefully can translate that into the Premier League. It's always a risk that it doesn't work out for players in the PL but I'm confident. Yeah it's all sorted - it's all just a scheme to save Betis and ourselves some money. We pay a hefty loan fee meaning PSG dont get a cut then pay a smaller fee for the Permanent transfer so Betis end up keeping more of the money and we didn't have to go higher to cover the sell on. No wonder it took all summer to sort. If we qualify for Europe it becomes an obligation to buy.

Yeah they probably expected Maguire to go sooner, but it's smart from the club contingency planning - you have two players that can step in and hopefully fill the void. Leicester have been very well run for some time now and this is just another example. 

Yeah Periera and Chilwell are amongst the best pairings in the league - much better than what we have more instance - and actually would suit our system perfectly. Dread to think what we'd be quoted after Maguire... Would like to see Justin play some games though, good problem to have.

Yeah clearly they found out about the release clause and just went for it. He never quite hit the heights at Newcastle for some reason or another, Harvey may be able to explain, but was always talented, and always looked like he could play at a better club. Interested to see how he does with better players around him.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think it's his or his current agent's fault. His current agent's his brother and both he and the player have sued his former agent (which I think is a company, for some reason - maybe an agency? well definitely an agency if it's a company full of agents...) - I think there was a proposed settlement of 15m, but one of the parties thought "nah fuck this, let's go to trial over it." But until that's resolved, he doesn't own his own image rights and any transfer (at least to an English club) would need to include that.

And I'd seen a bunch of different fees quoted regarding that imaging rights issue. Some were as low as that settlement 15m Euros... some were in between the one I went with. I went for the fucking sensational number though. Not sure why. Maybe I'm looking to get a job at Sky?xD

Yeah that sounds accurate - it's all a mess, but basically we'd have to have bought out the image rights company because it's not allowed under PL rules. Haha went for the clickbait headline! Very deadline day of you 

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Storts said:

Yeah really happy with Lo Celso, he's always been incredibly talented. PSG made a huge mistake letting him go, and was a bit of a coup for Betis in the first place, but last season he was very good and he hopefully can translate that into the Premier League. It's always a risk that it doesn't work out for players in the PL but I'm confident. Yeah it's all sorted - it's all just a scheme to save Betis and ourselves some money. We pay a hefty loan fee meaning PSG dont get a cut then pay a smaller fee for the Permanent transfer so Betis end up keeping more of the money and we didn't have to go higher to cover the sell on. No wonder it took all summer to sort. If we qualify for Europe it becomes an obligation to buy.

Yeah they probably expected Maguire to go sooner, but it's smart from the club contingency planning - you have two players that can step in and hopefully fill the void. Leicester have been very well run for some time now and this is just another example. 

Yeah Periera and Chilwell are amongst the best pairings in the league - much better than what we have more instance - and actually would suit our system perfectly. Dread to think what we'd be quoted after Maguire... Would like to see Justin play some games though, good problem to have.

Yeah clearly they found out about the release clause and just went for it. He never quite hit the heights at Newcastle for some reason or another, Harvey may be able to explain, but was always talented, and always looked like he could play at a better club. Interested to see how he does with better players around him.

Screws PSG over so clever from both clubs.

I can't fault how our club's been run in the past 4/5 years, perhaps even before that in the Championship. Yes there have been some poor signings, especially when we could have capitalised after the league win, but what club doesn't make mistakes?! The good transfers far outweight the bad ones, especially when you see the profits we've made on some of them (Mahrez, Maguire, Kante, Drinkwater etc). 

I love that we have a player like Pereira in our squad. In general what I love about our squad is the core are still quite young yet experienced. Majority of our stars are 25/26 and under. A lot of talent but also a lot of potential - Chilwell, Pereira, Maddison, Tielemans, Praet, Barnes, Perez, Soyuncu, Benkovic - all yet to reach their peaks and probably a good few years before reaching it.

Perez looks quite sharp already and looked to have settled in straight away. Probably helps that he's been in UK already with Newcastle but he was straight in for the friendlies and suits our play encouragingly. I'd have liked another striker and Rondon would have been an option but I think he'd have always followed Benitez.

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

They've not spent the money we know exists. Have reverted to type in buying unknown buy to sell players. Total pot luck how it goes. Could be mid table. Could get relegated. No idea.

Wouldn't say your big two summer signings are unknowns Harvey - that's definitely a reach. Also a good business model to buy players like that, even if it doesn't necessarily suit fans ambitions.

What money is this then? 

• Subscriber

Can't be arsed to type it all right now (but will) but I'm going for a 7 out of 10. It was good but I still feel like we're one or two short, and I also feel like we need to sell 5 minimum still but the Europeans may help this.

Tielemans one of the signings of the window though for me. Top player.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Storts said:

Me too my friend, me too. Never been a fan of it and we've been absolutely dire nearly every time we've played t but I'm open to anything as there's a reason they're coaching the teams and I'm just watching it. At least Praet seems like a really natural fit if we're going that way.

8 hours ago, Storts said:

Wouldn't say your big two summer signings are unknowns Harvey - that's definitely a reach. Also a good business model to buy players like that, even if it doesn't necessarily suit fans ambitions.

What money is this then? 

It's not a good business model as it has previously got us relegated and into Europe. Good business models are about stability and growth from foundations. This summer is a tearing up of the foundations and a rolling of the dice.

Learn from history. 

That stability and growth from foundations is considered fans ambitions is a total joke.

I'll tell you what. Why don't you tell us all how about how replacing Pochettino with Sean Dyche, selling Kane and Alli and replacing them with a couple of 22 year olds from France and Germany is a good business model. Go on then. Let's hear it. Let us hear that what you apply to other clubs applies to your own.

Oh dear God he is back...

On the transfer window delighted, we signed Kovačić on a permanent basis who was let's say okay last season. 

Sold/released around 23 players and gained 130 mill in sales.

Team full of academy players (full compared to the recent years)

So yeah excited as hell.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, True Blue said:

Oh dear God he is back...

On the transfer window delighted, we signed Kovačić on a permanent basis who was let's say okay last season. 

Sold/released around 23 players and gained 130 mill in sales.

Team full of academy players (full compared to the recent years)

So yeah excited as hell.

I think @Storts alluded to it earlier - this transfer ban could be a blessing in disguise.

The reliance on Hazard and other big-buys may finally be realised and in addition to that, it may force the club to realise there's still talent on the books and instead of stock-piling players to go out on loan, it may be realised that these players could be good enough for Chelsea if given a chance. Perhaps Lampard is the best person to put that in to action given he started young as well. His relatively recent experience could be a god-send for 1) players trying to break through in to the first team and 2) those who are already there and trying to maintain a place.

The fact you've kept Hudson-Odoi is a big plus considering the links he had with Bayern. Anyone can see how talented he is in the role he played towards the end of last season.

The main worry for me when it comes to your side is the lack of attacking options, regardless of Hazard going. I think Batshuayi will do well for you if he ends up staying but for a whole season, is there enough firepower to get you where you need to be? 

27 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

This is the best analogy I have seen for our transfer window.

Rafa Benítez, Valencia coach 2003 after winning the double (La Liga and UEFA Cup the previous season);

"I asked for a leather sofa and they bought me a cheap lamp"

https://www.lasprovincias.es/valenciacf/benitez-esperaba-sofa-trajeron-20160113162626.html

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Harvsky said:

It's not a good business model as it has previously got us relegated and into Europe. Good business models are about stability and growth from foundations. This summer is a tearing up of the foundations and a rolling of the dice.

Learn from history. 

That stability and growth from foundations is considered fans ambitions is a total joke.

I'll tell you what. Why don't you tell us all how about how replacing Pochettino with Sean Dyche, selling Kane and Alli and replacing them with a couple of 22 year olds from France and Germany is a good business model. Go on then. Let's hear it. Let us hear that what you apply to other clubs applies to your own.

I mean it's a good business model to buy young talented players that can double or triple in value...it's the signings of ageing stop gap players that can be damaging as a model. How have you torn up the foundations exactly? Nobody can sit here and say replacing Rafa with Bruce isn't a backwards step in that department - but Rafa clearly had no interest in being there anymore, regardless of whatever PR he puts out. 

It's funny you mention us though...because that is exactly what we are in the process of doing. It may be at a higher level but we are now replacing our older players with younger ones. We've signed Lo Celso to replace Eriksen, and N'Dombele to replace Dembele, Sessegnon is coming in to replace Rose. Two young players from abroad to replace more established ones. It's a business model we've always looked to use, buy young talented players and let them develop into larger assets. 

I know how frustrated you are with the club, with the ownership and the managerial situation but think it's an overreaction in terms of tearing up the foundations. You've lost what? Perez? And replaced him with a younger talented club record signing, you didn't even have a choice with it either because of the release clause. Rondon was never your player and chased the money to China like your old manager. You've lost a few other players that you wanted rid of anyway. 

Obviously until you get a takeover you're never going to be happy and the club *probably* isn't going to improve to wherever you want it to go to, but I think adding two talented young attackers to go with Almiron, to your solid defence, was actually a pretty decent window all in all. 

12 hours ago, Storts said:

Cheers mate :91_thumbsup: And you, not sure you were around when I took a break 

I was doing my resting stint at that time mate... Various reasons for it with a bit of your profession (politics) involved too. ;)

Archived