talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German Sides in European Competitions

Away from home, Frankfurt thrashed Vaduz 5-0 in the 3rd qualifying round of the Europa League. Kostic scored the first two goals, then Kohr, Paciencia and Gacinovic added more to earn Frankfurt a 5-0 win. Frankfurt have earned a healthy lead to take back to Waldstadion for the second leg.

Frankfurt had an excellent run in the Europa League last season, where they reached the semi finals, narrowly losing out to Chelsea in a penalty shoot out. Can they have another good season in the Europa League and possibly win it? How well do you think the other German sides Wolfsburg and Monchengladbach will do in the Europa League?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, welcome mate. 

Secondly, we have a thread for the Europa League, and each individual match does not need it's own thread. Certainly today's performance was inspiring, but it was Vaduz, so a comfortable win was absolutely expected. 

• The title was changed to German Sides in the Europa League
1 hour ago, Michael said:

Away from home, Frankfurt thrashed Vaduz 5-0 in the 3rd qualifying round of the Europa League. Kostic scored the first two goals, then Kohr, Paciencia and Gacinovic added more to earn Frankfurt a 5-0 win. Frankfurt have earned a healthy lead to take back to Waldstadion for the second leg.

Frankfurt had an excellent run in the Europa League last season, where they reached the semi finals, narrowly losing out to Chelsea in a penalty shoot out. Can they have another good season in the Europa League and possibly win it? How well do you think the other German sides Wolfsburg and Monchengladbach will do in the Europa League?

Also mate, I have changed the title, so that people know that you are wanting this thread to be about the predictions of the German sides in Europa League, which is fair.

Personally, I don't much like Wolfsburg, but Gladbach and Frankfurt are two teams I'd love to see go far. I feel for Frankfurt last year, and that magical year, and part of me is worried about the potential disappoint that could take effect this year without Jovic and Haller...but who knows. 

Ok, my mistake, sorry about that.

I have to totally agree with you, I have not been convinced with the signings that Wolfsburg have made this summer. Gladbach and Frankfurt on the other hand have the potential to go very far. I think that Joveljic and Paciencia are decent strikers, but I think that Frankfurt should still go out and buy one more quality striker. We will see how they will cope if they don't but I am not convinced of Kamada so far.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Michael said:

Thanks again Stan.

Where do you reckon Frankfurt will get to this season in Europe?

Losing Jovic is/was huge, if not unexpected.

Also, slightly off-topic, there's a few Prediction Leagues (with prizes at the end of each) if you fancy getting stuck in to them :)

https://talkfootball365.com/forum/23-prediction-leagues/

20 minutes ago, Stan said:

Where do you reckon Frankfurt will get to this season in Europe?

Losing Jovic is/was huge, if not unexpected.

Also, slightly off-topic, there's a few Prediction Leagues (with prizes at the end of each) if you fancy getting stuck in to them :)

https://talkfootball365.com/forum/23-prediction-leagues/

Hi Stan, I think anything is possible for Frankfurt in the Europa League this season, yes that includes even possibly winning it. I think that the club has proved it's strength in Europe last season, despite the various suspensions and injuries that came their way. Of course losing Jovic and Haller are huge blows and I definitely think that Frankfurt need to buy one more quality striker. Joveljic and Paciencia look good, but we need one more classy out and out striker in my opinion, to have depth in that area. Kamada I am not convinced with at all and Rebic's best position is just behind the strikers.

Ok, cool, I will have a go with those Prediction leagues, it sounds interesting, thanks for the link. ;) 

39 minutes ago, Michael said:

Ok, my mistake, sorry about that.

No problem. It would be cool though if you could put the name of a well-known player in the title next time. Something like "Cristiano Ronaldo - German Sides in the Europa League". That helps us with hits on Google.

Welcome to the forum!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Frankfurt in a group with Arsenal, Standard Liege & Vitoria - I'd expect them to qualify along with Arsenal.

Wolfsburg in a group with Gent, St. Etienne  & Oleksandriya - Should qualify with St. Etienne and that game between the 2 will be the most even in the group. 

Gladbach in a group with Roma, Istanbul Basaksehir & Wolfsberger - no idea what the Austrian team are like but you'd think they'd qualify along with Roma. Travelling to Turkey is difficult for a lot of teams so perhaps could come unstuck there.

• 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, nudge said:

5 wins in 5 matches for German clubs in knockout stages of European competitions this week - first time since 1993.

I hate to be that guy...

But the Italians accomplished that on the week of November 27th 2019. Lazio, Juve, Atalanta, Inter and Roma all won. If that's the first time since 1993, the German league must be way behind the Italians :D 

• Subscriber
Just now, Inti Brian said:

I hate to be that guy...

But the Italians accomplished that on the week of November 27th 2019. Lazio, Juve, Atalanta, Inter and Roma all won. If that's the first time since 1993, the German league must be way behind the Italians :D 

ss31qK2.png

Jog on.

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

I hate to be that guy...

You meaqn like Peru has won more titles than American Samoa, Bhutan or Gibraltar. Oh wait...

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

You meaqn like Peru has won more titles than American Samoa, Bhutan or Gibraltar. Oh wait...

Let the salt flow through you.

(and you're factually incorrect anyways. We've won 2 Copa America's FYI)

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

The Spanish league isn't better than the English league so that's already inaccurate.

But relax, I was just joking around. Thought the smiley would have given it away xD

What's inaccurate? It's the UEFA 5 year coefficients. And since according to you it's only the performances in the CL and EL that define how good a league is anyway, based on that logic Spain league should be better than the English one xD 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

What's inaccurate? It's the UEFA 5 year coefficients. And since according to you it's only the performances in the CL and EL that define how good a league is anyway, based on that logic Spain league should be better than the English one xD 

Go get him @nudge!

giphy.gif

Just now, nudge said:

I get it, but if we go by those facts then there's no point having an opinion on anything.

I know that the UEFA rankings are a strong system when you compare them to the FIFA rankings, but that doesn't mean I still can't have a different opinion.

Spain has been better over a span of the last 5 years than the Premier League, no doubt. But I think in the last 2 years FC Barcelona and Real Madrid have really dropped and as a result I also think the Spanish league might fall eventually.

Italy is a bit more subjective because they are similar to German sides in terms of performances.

In conclusion, I was really just seeing how many jimmies I can rustle. I wasn't entirely being serious and just wanted to have a dig at that record but not in an argumentative way (if that makes sense).

4 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

That's as much a title as winning a competition at headers with bricks.

Yeah without the Copa America your wonderful "Euros" (which is 70% shitty sides with the expansion) wouldn't exist. Respect your elders.

Archived