• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Things Football Can Learn From Other Sports

football forum

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Yeah, in Rugby a far more brutal contact sport players respect the refs decisions unlike in football

I find that when it comes to respecting referees, it's more about the culture or the personalities involved than it is about the sport itself.

Every time I watch the NBA, it never ceases to amaze me how the players just get on with the game even after awful decisions. There are exceptions of course, but it is never as bad as in Portugal for instance, where it can get just as bad as in football.

Tennis is a good example. Some players are never seen arguing with the umpire while others are constantly moaning.

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

The ones who "moan" about it are right though.

Why are they? 

Video assistance is exactly that, assistance. No person from FIFA, UEFA or any FA has said that it’s perfect and that it’s going to eradicate all human errors from the game. It’s not. It’s used to help referee’s. Human error is natural and even with a video, human error is still going to happen. 

On 09/08/2019 at 13:23, Stick With Azeem said:

In Field hockey they stop the clock when play is interrupted

I personally think something needs to be done about the time wasting. I appreciate the new rules that a sub needs to go off at the closest side and all, but more importantly what about adding more minutes every time somebody fakes rolling on the floor just to lose minutes. I seem to recall Portugal did this with Iran at the last World Cup, and no minutes were added.

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Why are they? 

Video assistance is exactly that, assistance. No person from FIFA, UEFA or any FA has said that it’s perfect and that it’s going to eradicate all human errors from the game. It’s not. It’s used to help referee’s. Human error is natural and even with a video, human error is still going to happen. 

It hasn't assisted us in any way though. I've even noticed the uncomfort in some referees as VAR basically makes him a peasant. The incompetence of the referees was never going to be fixed by VAR unfortunately, and it just kills the spectacle for little reward.

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

It hasn't assisted us in any way though. I've even noticed the uncomfort in some referees as VAR basically makes him a peasant. The incompetence of the referees was never going to be fixed by VAR unfortunately, and it just kills the spectacle for little reward.

But it has assisted, though. It’s helped referee’s make numerous correct calls for decisions they’d otherwise have to likely guess on. However, we only highlight the incorrect calls as if it’s the worst thing ever. Referees aren’t incompetent either. 

• Subscriber

I think they have this in Rugby League and I know for certain they have it in Australian Rules Football the fina have a final siren at full time and they have timekeepers that control the game and if the ref stops play for so many minutes what not then they signal to the timekeepers to stop the clock and add any time on and when the ref signals the game to resume it resumes by the timekeeper.

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

But it has assisted, though. It’s helped referee’s make numerous correct calls for decisions they’d otherwise have to likely guess on. However, we only highlight the incorrect calls as if it’s the worst thing ever. Referees aren’t incompetent either. 

Not really, referees didn't "guess" for 100 years. For a reason they were trained to work in the industry.

The reason we only highlight incorrect decisions is because there are too many. As fans we don't care for correct decisions because its a spectacle for us. As for the ones participating, my hunch is that they are uncomfortable waiting around for so long or annoyed that they can't get away with unintentional mistakes.

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

This. 

VAR is a good thing. It could certainly be faster in some cases where it seems obvious, but it's a good thing. 

8 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

It's not supposed to assist you. It's to assist the ref. 

Lose a match because a blantant handball wasn't seen and you'll be crying for it. VAR is GREAT for this sport as the game has gotten faster and more complex, and no matter how good the refs get, it is physically imporssible not to miss things. 

Just now, Eco said:

Lose a match because a blantant handball wasn't seen and you'll be crying for it. VAR is GREAT for this sport as the game has gotten faster and more complex, and no matter how good the refs get, it is physically imporssible not to miss things. 

I'll be crying even more if we lose a match to a handball that was approved by VAR.

VAR at best might be good for referees but its shit for fans who make the sport what it is. Its a spectacle, not an obssession over the law. 

10 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Not really, referees didn't "guess" for 100 years. For a reason they were trained to work in the industry.

The reason we only highlight incorrect decisions is because there are too many. As fans we don't care for correct decisions because its a spectacle for us. As for the ones participating, my hunch is that they are uncomfortable waiting around for so long or annoyed that they can't get away with unintentional mistakes.

Why should a referee, the most important person who needs numerous views, get one view of an incident and be forced to make a decision based off an incident at a ridiculous speed, while we get to see the decision numerous times from numerous angles while we sit in the pub? There are decisions where referees are essentially forced into a guess. 

Whats the barometer for too many? What’s the figure? It’s like anything to do with refereeing, we don’t shout about how they have good games, we shout about how they’ve had a bad game and it’s the same principle with VAR. 

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why should a referee, the most important person who needs numerous views, get one view of an incident and be forced to make a decision based off an incident at a ridiculous speed

Then lets just nix refs. Lets have VAR take over and decide everything from the stage.

Referees have to do that anyways. VAR just "assists" the ref, and yet they are still incompetent with the machine. Its a good concept in theory but it just kills the spectacle and gets little reward anyways.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

As if matches haven't been lost due to a blatantly bad decision by VAR...  :what: For me it's easier to accept a bad decision in matches without VAR as the referee is obviously not able to see every single thing especially given the speed of the game these days, but on the other hand it makes me furious when a bad decision is still made despite of VAR when you have multiple people and technology being able to evaluate the incident. Screams of incompetence.

The way I see it, it's great in theory ; pretty poor in its implementation so far. Human error and bias is still there despite numerous camera angles and replay options (and it will always be there); the game loses part of its flow; people (both fans and players) are even reluctant to celebrate after scoring now.

According to the IFAB study, implementation of VAR makes about 5.9% difference in correct decision-making (i.e. without VAR, referees made 93% of correct decisions whereas with VAR it was 98.9%); not sure if that's worth it. 

11 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Then lets just nix refs. Lets have VAR take over and decide everything from the stage.

Referees have to do that anyways. VAR just "assists" the ref, and yet they are still incompetent with the machine. Its a good concept in theory but it just kills the spectacle and gets little reward anyways.

That’s exactly my point. It’s an assistance to referee’s. It’s an aide. Like linesmen. It’s not perfect, nobody has claimed it is or will be. 

As for the spectacle, that’s debatable. 

12 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Ironic that you should raise this tired, inaccurate objection in this thread given that video technology doesn't kill the spectacle in any other sport

Just now, Burning Gold said:

Ironic that you should raise this tired, inaccurate objection in this thread given that video technology doesn't kill the spectacle in any other sport

I don’t watch every sport, so I can’t speak for all of them. In American sports though it works cos the timer actually stops and there are commercial breaks through certain halves or quarters. So it’s not really a fair comparison in some cases and I’m pretty certain you’ll find that most football fans thinks it kills the spectacle.

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

As if matches haven't been lost due to a blatantly bad decision by VAR...  :what: For me it's easier to accept a bad decision in matches without VAR as the referee is obviously not able to see every single thing especially given the speed of the game these days, but on the other hand it makes me furious when a bad decision is still made despite of VAR when you have multiple people and technology being able to evaluate the incident. Screams of incompetence.

The way I see it, it's great in theory ; pretty poor in its implementation so far. Human error and bias is still there despite numerous camera angles and replay options (and it will always be there); the game loses part of its flow; people (both fans and players) are even reluctant to celebrate after scoring now.

According to the IFAB study, implementation of VAR makes about 5.9% difference in correct decision-making (i.e. without VAR, referees made 93% of correct decisions whereas with VAR it was 98.9%); not sure if that's worth it. 

Bear in mind all of the decisions being made by VAR are big, match changing decisions, and should in theory be close ones, then yes I'd say it absolutely is worth it

3 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I don’t watch every sport, so I can’t speak for all of them. In American sports though it works cos the timer actually stops and there are commercial breaks through certain halves or quarters. So it’s not really a fair comparison in some cases and I’m pretty certain you’ll find that most football fans thinks it kills the spectacle.

What does that have to do with anything?

Most football fans? Not having that for a second. In my experience, the "kills the spectacle" criticism is mostly fans who are afraid it will kill it at some point in the future, rather than believing it does

28 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

So you want VAR deciding yellow cards, the ability to play the advantage? 

No thanks. 

• The title was changed to Things Football Can Learn From Other Sports

Archived