talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ben Chilwell - Chelsea

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Ben Chilwell - Chelsea

Ignoring the fee would be a top quality signing for Chelsea (at the end of the season ofc!). Appears would fit into Lampard’s philosophy of building a younger squad at Chelsea as well.

Always thought Arsenal would go for him before they got Tierney like.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.0cba9aa1ad5d891c8f7a0bd4040326b8.png

Manchester City are interested in striking a deal for Leicester and England left-back Ben Chilwell, 22, after growing frustrated with France international Benjamin Mendy, 25. (90min)

Maybe Pep should try actually coaching young players to improve them instead of just throwing money at it? 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Good player but definitely not worth that much. Still has a lot of developing to do before he can reach the level of the top fullbacks like AWB. 

I wouldn't say that, mainly because Chillwell is on a stronger team. He also has many more caps than Wan-Bissaka, and played twice as many games. On an unrelated not, I hate it when people break down relatvively simple names into acronyms. Isn't really hard to type 'Oxlade-Chamberlain' or 'Loftus-Cheek'.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Chillwell's one of the few players from the league I'd be wanting us to sign if we didn't have Andy Robertson. Second best English left back after James Milner.

Rodgers actively pursued signing him while at Liverpool. I think they even offered around 10m for him but Leicester clearly knew he was going to be worth a lot more than that years down the line

• Administrator

Can't see us letting him go cheaply and I guess it would also be up to the player. If we qualify for Europe it's a massive plus point in persuading players to stay.

Not short of cash if £££ is what he's after as well.

I think Chelsea will end up with him. Liverpool I presume will have Robertson for a good few years to come and Chilwell won't get in ahead of him. 

We are struggling at left back even with Emerson while Alonso is definitely leaving in the summer. Azpi can cover every position at the back but with Chilwell and James on the flanks i would be super excited. However 70 mill is too much even for a young talented English player. We will be loaded for the summer with our sales and not touching the budget but let's wait and see.

6 hours ago, Batard said:

Rodgers actively pursued signing him while at Liverpool. I think they even offered around 10m for him but Leicester clearly knew he was going to be worth a lot more than that years down the line

If we’d signed him then, I doubt it would have gone as well for him tbh. We were a bit of a mess in that era other than one year and a lot of the players we signed then that now we know are good players... didn’t look anywhere near as good. On the other hand he was only a kid wasn’t he? So he might have just been ace with the kids and then come into the first team around when we signed Robertson.

So it’s probably the best for us, Chillwell, Rodgers, and (obviously) Leicester that things ended up the way they did. I love Leicester’s fullbacks - if we didn’t have the fullbacks I’d be so jealous tbh.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If we’d signed him then, I doubt it would have gone as well for him tbh. We were a bit of a mess in that era other than one year and a lot of the players we signed then that now we know are good players... didn’t look anywhere near as good. On the other hand he was only a kid wasn’t he? So he might have just been ace with the kids and then come into the first team around when we signed Robertson.

So it’s probably the best for us, Chillwell, Rodgers, and (obviously) Leicester that things ended up the way they did. I love Leicester’s fullbacks - if we didn’t have the fullbacks I’d be so jealous tbh.

To be honest, I tend to agree if Chilwell moved to you at the time (when he'd have only been 17 or 18?) he'd not be as good as he was now.

In his Players Tribune article published the other day, he speaks about working his way up through Leicester's ranks and then being shipped out on loan to (at the time) David Wagner's Huddersfield. He said his spell in the Championship there really helped him and helped build his confidence playing at a higher level as opposed to just with other similar ages in the Youth/Development Leagues.

Obviously he could have been shipped out on loan if at Liverpool but it seems as if things have fallen in to place with Chilwell coming up through the academy. And with a lot of Leicester players to be fair after they'd been loaned out when younger (Choudhury and Barnes especially). 

I also think if you'd have signed Chilwell, you'd have not signed Robertson (or been less likely to). It's all swings and roundabouts! 

I love that across our 2 clubs we have an abundance in quality in defence. The full-backs really are top quality. 

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator
14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Rumors fee agreed. 40 million. 

I can get behind that. :ph34r:

@Stan @Dan

Unless we're getting a better or decent replacement (we'll need one as Fuchs can't last a season by himself), I'm not sure I'd be happy if we sold. Our recruitment is strong so I have faith in that. 

For his own sake I hope it doesn't turn in to a Drinkwater-esque move.

For everyone else's sake, I hope it does :ph34r:

I feel this would be a great move. Chilwell would be an excellent addition to Chelsea's defence and I could see him bouncing off of Tomori and James. As for Leicester, they'll be certain to find a strong replacement. They have a great presence in the league at the moment and have drawn in some world-class young talent. I feel that Grimaldo would suit them well. 

• Subscriber

To be honest I'd sell for the right fee but we will look very weak if we end up caving in at forty million even in this climate. I heard over double that earlier in the week so nobody really knows.

I think if we sold him and bought Grimaldo we're a better side for it.

Archived