talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ben Chilwell - Chelsea

I think this is a solid signing actually, Chelsea are certainly going for the full throttle attacking mode, could he be like an expensive Robertson for them?

It does heap more pressure on them though, a title bid should surely be expected. I suppose if Messi goes Manchester City this season is just written off for everyone else though.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pressure should be well and truly on Fat Frank now, imo. With the amount they've spent this summer, anything less than a genuine title challenge should be considered a failure. So if they're not in contention with just a few weeks to go... I think that's pretty poor.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pressure should be well and truly on Fat Frank now, imo. With the amount they've spent this summer, anything less than a genuine title challenge should be considered a failure. So if they're not in contention with just a few weeks to go... I think that's pretty poor.

Agreed. Same with their European exploits as well. I know they're still wanting to sell players but they've got a big enough squad to compete on all fronts domestically and in Europe.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

More than 50% of our starting XI are new players. It's going to be pretty difficult for Lampard to get them settled straight off the bat and compete against the likes of yourselves and City who are already 4-5 years into your project. 

What is for certain is that there needs to be genuine improvement this season. Particularly in 3 areas. 

1. Closing games out

2. Better in game management

3. Better defensive shape. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

More than 50% of our starting XI are new players. It's going to be pretty difficult for Lampard to get them settled straight off the bat and compete against the likes of yourselves and City who are already 4-5 years into your project. 

What is for certain is that there needs to be genuine improvement this season. Particularly in 3 areas. 

1. Closing games out

2. Better in game management

3. Better defensive shape. 

It's down to the manager to blood new players in - sometimes they'll slot in immediately (which I think you should expect Werner and Chilwell to do), other players might need more time. Regardless, that doesn't take away from the fact bringing in big signings brings big expectations. Especially during a time where I think most clubs around the world are less inclined to be throwing around money - you've got a leg up on other clubs trying to rebuild by not having the fear to splash the cash in present day.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Tone it down a tad fella.... that's not very nice is it

This is why you get people falling out in threads.... 

I will accept 'well fed' as an alternative 

what is he, a turkey being lined up for Xmas xD?

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Tepmz said:

Incredible bit of business from Leicester there I think, especially if they're able to flip that money into a replacement along the lines of a Tagliafico esque player. Not convinced that Chilwell is too much more than a player coming off a very good half-season, but at least Lampard is acknowledging that his defence is an area of that team which requires investment. Certainly not a player I'd price at 50m, but he's a young English international who has developed through their youth system. With Maguire going for 80, I'm genuinely a little surprised it's not a higher upfront cost.

I wouldn't even go that far. He was largely a weak link most of the season. 2018/19 he won me over somewhat but last season he made me question everything again. Weirdly the same happened with Maguire - felt he was better for us a year before we sold him.

I've made my thoughts on the whole move clear but all the positives about it are void if we don't get a fucking move on with making some decent signings ourselves. 17 days until the first day, following a pathetic collapse in the second half of the season and we've not brought a single player in. Absolutely ridiculous. Get a fucking move on.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Spike said:

Mediocre players with pace can get away with it on teams that hold possession. Look at Hector Bellerin.

Has he got away with it though? He's not done anything of note and isn't regarded as anything special either.

9 hours ago, Spike said:

Mediocre players with pace can get away with it on teams that hold possession. Look at Hector Bellerin.

I think only Arsenal fans rate him now and even then do they rate him that much? But a year or two ago he was proper overrated 

I've said it before in this thread but one of the big positives he'll hopefully bring is that he'll get up and down and be a constant option or outlet on that side, something we haven't had since Ashley Cole. Yes, there are probably shortcomings to his game, with his end product and use of the ball but at least he'll offer the energy and physicality on that side.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Sensational finish last night. If only he did that more for us :ph34r:

Ironic that he was bottling the challenge with the keeper and the ball just hit him yet ends up with the best reward from it.

• Subscriber
On 26/08/2020 at 17:22, Tepmz said:

Incredible bit of business from Leicester there I think, especially if they're able to flip that money into a replacement along the lines of a Tagliafico esque player. Not convinced that Chilwell is too much more than a player coming off a very good half-season, but at least Lampard is acknowledging that his defence is an area of that team which requires investment. Certainly not a player I'd price at 50m, but he's a young English international who has developed through their youth system. With Maguire going for 80, I'm genuinely a little surprised it's not a higher upfront cost.

First post I saw when opening the topic.

but.. ;)

I think he has all the potential to be the best Left Back in the league for the next decade. Very exciting as an England fan saying players like Chilwell make that step up and start well. 

He’s had a perfect start for Chelsea, amongst all the signings they made, he is the one who has slotted right in and looked the part from the offset. Never understood the outcry I was seeing and even questioning of the fee, which was nothing in this market.

No I didn't quite get the bashing either but then again, I didn't watch him week in, week out. And, he's played a handful of games for Chelsea.

I'm sure Maguire got a good start last season and then, well...

I think only by the end of the season will it be fair to judge him a failure or success. Promising signs though for Chelsea with him and Reece James on either side.

• 3 months later...
On 08/11/2020 at 12:09, carefreeluke said:

Been absolutely fantastic so far.

Won't get carried away though and let's see how he finishes the season.

His form has dipped slightly, that being said that doesn't mean he's been bad or a problem, just he's gone from 7-9s out of ten to 5-7s. I'm talking the last month or so here, it was his pass that helped us open up Sheffield United the other week though. That dip in form also has to put into context, it was a period where the majority of the team were poor and with the manager on the verge of being sacked.

He was one of a few players though that Lampard ran into the ground, I've seen some premature conclusions being drawn recently saying that we're seeing the real Chilwell now and that he wasn't worth the money paid. I think one of the reasons that he's been taken out of the team is that Tuchel is a bit more rotation conscious and the fact that the manager wants to galvanize the squad again and make sure everyone feels involved as some players were completely outcast under Lampard.

Up to now, overall, I'm still relatively happy with Chilwell, he's still up there with our top performers this season, let's see how the remainder of the season goes for him.

Archived