talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ben Chilwell - Chelsea

It seems like Lampard wants Chilwell as badly as he wants Havertz. But he is going to have to break the bank to buy them both. Oblak is another player he seems desperate to sign. Chelsea's spending this summer could be sky high.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Michael said:

It seems like Lampard wants Chilwell as badly as he wants Havertz. But he is going to have to break the bank to buy them both. Oblak is another player he seems desperate to sign. Chelsea's spending this summer could be sky high.

Its only not when they're banned. 

39 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Its only not when they're banned. 

There were a few seasons Chelsea were selling high and buying high. People tend to forget that Chelsea tends to get good money for these players even when the flop hard, don't know how they manage it. Chelsea made a profit on Alvaro Morata, how did they bloody well do that?!

https://www.transfermarkt.us/fc-chelsea/alletransfers/verein/631
https://www.transfermarkt.us/fc-liverpool/alletransfers/verein/31

Truth be told, I wonder how much money these days is bank rolled by the owner. The cash Chelsea generates from sales and TV deals surely covers most of it. Check out the last five/six years, transfers out and in are pretty close in numbers (except in 18/19 that was huge spending). It's all so abstract anyway, who knows how much is going to agent fees, bonuses, salary, etc.

I did the maths and since the 2014/15 season and Chelsea apparently spent $134 million when transfers out are taken into consideration, that is a lot of bloody money but not as much I expected. I was thinking the totals would be closer to the 300 mark. Just for comparison I had a look at your team and apparently when transfer out are taken into consideration Liverpool have spent $190.65 million, mainly from those Brendan Rogers' years, and of course no transfer ban.

Thing is as much as I've slagged Alonso off over the years, he's probably one of the better left backs in the league which isn't saying much but begs the question of how worthwhile this Chilwell transfer would be, with the big factor being the price. Is Chilwell a significant upgrade on Alonso? I don't think so.

48 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Thing is as much as I've slagged Alonso off over the years, he's probably one of the better left backs in the league which isn't saying much but begs the question of how worthwhile this Chilwell transfer would be, with the big factor being the price. Is Chilwell a significant upgrade on Alonso? I don't think so.

Disagree. There are probably 5 or 6 left backs who are superior to him and then another handful who are just as good. His athleticism is what essentially lets him down compared to others. 

Chilwell is not only more athletic, but he plays in a manner that Lampard wants in his players. To move the ball quickly. 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Chilwell is not only more athletic, but he plays in a manner that Lampard wants in his players. To move the ball quickly. 

What Chilwell have you seen xD?

His decision-making is poor - and an example of that is that he will run forward with the ball, and just keep running. Then he's like a rabbit in headlights around the box. If he crosses, it's not accurate, if he chooses to take the ball down to the touchline, he can run it out or lose the ball. 

I would not have him down as a player that moves the ball quickly. His best attribute is that he can get forward and will join in attacks and give opposition another aspect of an attack to think about. 

17 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Disagree. There are probably 5 or 6 left backs who are superior to him and then another handful who are just as good. His athleticism is what essentially lets him down compared to others. 

which players are better?

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

His decision-making is poor - and an example of that is that he will run forward with the ball, and just keep running. Then he's like a rabbit in headlights around the box. If he crosses, it's not accurate, if he chooses to take the ball down to the touchline, he can run it out or lose the ball. 

I would not have him down as a player that moves the ball quickly. His best attribute is that he can get forward and will join in attacks and give opposition another aspect of an attack to think about. 

I’m talking more in the regard of a teams build up play. From what I’ve seen, Chilwell does well in transition given how quickly he moves the ball vs slowing play down. 

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

which players are better?

At Left Back, I’d say Robertson, Chilwell, Digne, Shaw, and Tierney.  

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I’m talking more in the regard of a teams build up play. From what I’ve seen, Chilwell does well in transition given how quickly he moves the ball vs slowing play down. 

I think that is a fair list but I'm still not sold on Chillwell, I always thought he was a discount Andy Robertson.

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Imagine paying £60+ million for Chilwell when we paid £8m for Robertson and paid £11m for a better back up than Chilwell xD

Imagine bragging about this when Liverpool have a higher net spend in the past six years :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Honestly though, it's a bad idea.

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

Imagine bragging about this when Liverpool have a higher net spend in the past six years :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Honestly though, it's a bad idea.

We have the sixth lowest net spend in the league over the past 6 years? So yeah, its not like we go out and buy the league title.

And you aren't taking into account the £250m Chelsea are splurging this summer. 

59 minutes ago, Stan said:

43 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I wouldn't say Shaw or Chilwell personally and even if so the difference in quality isn't that high to justying spending the money being quoted. Chilwell is still young and could improve but I'd rather be spending that sort of money on Rice as CB and defensive midfield is an area we need to prioritise more. Alonso can be very frustrating at the best of times but at least he has a big moment in him which is something Shaw and Chilwell don't have.

I have to agree with @Stan Chilwell for me lacks a bit of intelligence in the final third from what I've seen and he reminds me a bit of Moses when he had him at wing-back but with less pace. Very direct and energetic which can cause problems in itself but most of time he lacks quality in his end-product. You know it's something which could improve with age and in a different team but at his current level and price, I don't know why we're considering him. The left back Leicester get to replace him will probably end up being better and highly thought of come the end of the season and they'll probably get him for a third of the price. 

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Apparently you wanted the guy we just signed? 

I've quite recently been finding out information indirectly from one of our scouts, who is sadly very disillusioned with things here at the minute, he recommended Tsimikas to them weeks ago and they weren't bothered - until Liverpool went in for him and all of a sudden they were. It's worrying to be honest. I cannot shake this fear that we've made a right pigs ear of it with the appointment of this head of recruitment from Celtic.

This scout genuinely is considering leaving over all of this as well.

He also told me we could've had Trincao back in January, similar happened and now we're prepared to pay a lot more because he's at Barcelona. Fucking annoying.

7 minutes ago, Dan said:

I've quite recently been finding out information indirectly from one of our scouts, who is sadly very disillusioned with things here at the minute, he recommended Tsimikas to them weeks ago and they weren't bothered - until Liverpool went in for him and all of a sudden they were. It's worrying to be honest. I cannot shake this fear that we've made a right pigs ear of it with the appointment of this head of recruitment from Celtic.

This scout genuinely is considering leaving over all of this as well.

He also told me we could've had Trincao back in January, similar happened and now we're prepared to pay a lot more because he's at Barcelona. Fucking annoying.

Don't say you have contacts on this forum ffs. You will literally get linched  xD

30 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

We have the sixth lowest net spend in the league over the past 6 years? So yeah, its not like we go out and buy the league title.

And you aren't taking into account the £250m Chelsea are splurging this summer. 

I'm only taking into account what has been spent so far and that include Werner and Ziyech. With sales included that totals to about 22million so far. Actually seventh and four spots below Chelsea ;) Actually click on the links next time mate :D

I'm only going by the numbers brotha!

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm only taking into account what has been spent so far and that include Werner and Ziyech. With sales included that totals to about 22million so far. Actually seventh and four spots below Chelsea ;)

I'm only going by the numbers brotha!

So we havent got a higher net spend then? Once the signings of Chilwell and Havertz and everyone else is complete, Chelsea will be back where they belong... on top of the spending table along with City  

Must be horrible.

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

So we havent got a higher net spend then? Once the signings of Chilwell and Havertz and everyone else is complete, Chelsea will be back where they belong... on top of the spending table along with City  

Must be horrible.

Fucked if I know! I'm just winding you up because I know liverpool fans like to obsess over money for some reason, as if it even matters. xD'Didn't buy a league title' my arse! Didn't trade a bag of footballs for van Dijk.

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

Fucked if I know! I'm just winding you up because I know liverpool fans like to obsess over money for some reason, as if it even matters. xD'Didn't buy a league title' my arse! Didn't trade a bag of footballs for van Dijk.

No, sold one of our best players and reinvested it on good players. 

Fucked if i know? You've just said we have a higher net spend than Chelsea xD

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

You're going to be pretty disappointed.

Archived