talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ben Chilwell - Chelsea

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Don't say you have contacts on this forum ffs. You will literally get linched  xD

xD I'll take the chance. I know what I know. Sometimes I wish I didn't.

I've been told Rodgers wants Tarkowski.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dan said:

You're going to be pretty disappointed.

I personally don't want him given the glaring obvious in his price. However, I can't fathom why Lampard wants him so desperately compared to alternatives who are not only cheaper, but better. The only thing I can think of is how Lampard wants our build up play to be.

Our match against you lot in the FA Cup for example, I thought Chilwell was one of your better players for the sheer fact he was very good in transition. Quickly helped moved the ball from defence to attack. This is something I've noticed Lampard wanting in all of his players. Even the defence. 

Batshuayi is linked with Leeds. 

Bakayoko is linked with Milan. 

Emerson is linked with Inter & Napoli

Zouma/Christensen is rumored to leave

Barkley is bound to fuck off with Havertz coming in. 

We also then have Zappacosta, Moses, Kenedy, and other players out on loan that will either be sold or we will yet again gather more loan fees. 

It's not as if we buy Havertz & others we aren't selling anyone. I am curious to see what the net spend is come October. 

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I personally don't want him given the glaring obvious in his price. However, I can't fathom why Lampard wants him so desperately compared to alternatives who are not only cheaper, but better. The only thing I can think of is how Lampard wants our build up play to be.

Our match against you lot in the FA Cup for example, I thought Chilwell was one of your better players for the sheer fact he was very good in transition. Quickly helped moved the ball from defence to attack. This is something I've noticed Lampard wanting in all of his players. Even the defence. 

It would make sense in that regard as he also fits the bill as both young and English - good for the homegrown quota and years ahead of him. I do think there are some glaring flaws in his game though. For a player who is supposedly as good as he is, he has far too many genuinely shocking games.

He's quite infuriating in possession. Not a great decision maker. He's good going forward in the sense of actually getting forward but the final ball often isn't there. Luke Thomas our other youth left back actually looked better at using the ball than he did in glimpses. I personally think you can do better, I think we can too, and this mystical scout I know thinks so as well.

I feel like I shouldn't be so down on a youth product who is a regular for England but I do think he's a quite flawed player.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.332217e4d13b734fb322dcc0997ee29c.png

In-demand defender Ben Chilwell is on the verge of signing for Chelsea, after a breakthrough in negotiations, it has been claimed.

The Times says Chelsea and Leicester City have agreed on a fee, albeit lower than the £80m the Foxes reportedly wanted for the England left-back.

Despite that, the figure could still prove to be a world-record for a player in Chilwell 's position, eclipsing the £68m Bayern Munich paid Atletico Madrid for Lucas Hernandez a year ago. (Leicestershire Live)Arrow.png.52be5efba0d3cb01d1b47c7161e2224f.png

Honestly I’m surprised Chelsea haven’t gone after someone like Digne over Chilwell. Chilwell’s got more potential, but Digne’s more polished and has a lovely cross on him.

I’d have imagined that now that Chelsea are splashing the cash again, the goal this season is to immediately be competitive and there will be more pressure this season. So big spending on a young player that needs polishing might not be the best to meet expectations.

I’d have thought a CB, or literally anyone in defense with leadership qualities, would have been one of the higher priorities though.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Honestly I’m surprised Chelsea haven’t gone after someone like Digne over Chilwell. Chilwell’s got more potential, but Digne’s more polished and has a lovely cross on him.

I’d have imagined that now that Chelsea are splashing the cash again, the goal this season is to immediately be competitive and there will be more pressure this season. So big spending on a young player that needs polishing might not be the best to meet expectations.

I’d have thought a CB, or literally anyone in defense with leadership qualities, would have been one of the higher priorities though.

Agreed, There needs to be a balance between experience and youth.. Youth is great for the long term but if we spend a shit load and still don't make any more progress than the season gone then questions are going to be asked about Lampard, We might have been better off getting some older more experienced players in defence even if it was just for a season or two to try and improve that situation... I don't think we are going to have too many problems going forward but keeping them out is another matter... 

• Subscriber

I don't mind if it's lower than £80mil, to be honest I think anything upwards of £50mil is mental (and if it was up to me I wouldn't pay more than £30mil but appreciate that's a dead deal before it even gets going). I just hope we spend this money properly. For all I'm in favour of sell it's all useless if we go and blow it ourselves. Aka don't go and buy Charlie Taylor for £40mil.

Chelsea are just a Champ Manager club. No soul, no hard work, no planning... just bought their way to way they are now and where they go from here.

Just come from a ban for poaching young players and now should be investigated under FFP for this ridiculous spending when others physically can't. Totally unfair advantage.

Won't happen though. 

Embarrassing club. I would honestly hate to be accociated with that club, along with City, PSG, Barca and Real. 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Not quite the Maguire money but still a big amount. Providing we spend sensibly it's good business from us. I do think hes overrated.

It’s ridiculous money from us mate, you’re laughing. A period of good form and promise from Chilwell and suddenly he’s the best left back available worldwide. It makes me wonder about the jobs and influence the scouting departments have or is this just the fact that a few senior members of the club rate him and it justifies spending this amount.

This sort of money could be going towards Declan Rice.

6 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

It’s ridiculous money from us mate, you’re laughing. A period of good form and promise from Chilwell and suddenly he’s the best left back available worldwide. It makes me wonder about the jobs and influence the scouting departments have or is this just the fact that a few senior members of the club rate him and it justifies spending this amount.

Lampard specifically wants him. So we’ll just have to see. As with every player we sign, I’m willing to give them the chance. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Lampard specifically wants him. So we’ll just have to see. As with every player we sign, I’m willing to give them the chance. 

Yeah mate, I hope he turns out to the best left back we’ve ever had and I’ll be supporting him all the way.

I just don’t see how he’s worth that amount of money.

23 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Yeah mate, I hope he turns out to the best left back we’ve ever had and I’ll be supporting him all the way.

I just don’t see how he’s worth that amount of money.

Big shoes after Ashley Cole

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

He's such an odd one Chilwell. His strengths in his game can make him look a very good player, the way he can carry the ball forwards and the fact he can keep doing it, that is big and the real selling point with him.

But I really do see some flaws with him. Not great one on one (watch Norwich's goal at home to us, I was genuinely stunned at how badly he defended it), often keeps running that bit too long to the point the opposition settle, has this weird tendency to run the ball out of play. He will have some good games for you where you think it was worth it but having watched that Europa League final earlier, the thought that Reguilon can be bought for a fraction of the price is just mental to me, he's so blatantly a better player.

I think he lacks a good football brain at times and that is a fundamental problem.

• Subscriber

I know it's only one goal but fuck me.

I think he's the weak link of our first choice back four and the one I'd be happiest selling.

If we can use that money to get Reguilon and a good winger I'll be over the moon.

I thought it with Maguire and think I've been proven right - I'm not sure Chilwell is of a higher level than Maguire.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

So what you are saying then is he could turn out to be another Ross Barkley?? 

Plausible but Barkley was probably worth the gamble for what you paid for him (which was relatively little I think). For the amount you're paying for Chilwell I'd want a top full back. I'm not convinced you're getting one.

If you had bought Ricardo on the flip side I'd be telling you a very different story.

Archived