talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - Saturday 17th August, 2019

football forum

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

We’ve been the better side just 2 errors cost us, Billings shouldn’t be on the field what is the point of VAR if this nonsense stays in the game. 

How was Douglas Luiz? 

I saw he made a mistake in the 2nd goal but he also scored a beautiful goal.

If given a chance, he can become a true force for Villa. He's very talented.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

How was Douglas Luiz? 

I saw he made a mistake in the 2nd goal but he also scored a beautiful goal.

If given a chance, he can become a true force for Villa. He's very talented.

Technically very good although will take several weeks to adapt to the league as it can be ping pong in midfield at times in this league. 

On the whole dissatisfying result we were the better side I felt but Bournemouth are a good side and we’re bedding in and a bit naive with game management. The last 5mins Bournemouth just managed us throws, in the corners tackle fouls slowing it down etc. 

Think we should have brought another striker and winger as El Ghazi looks shit at this level. Also TomHeatoj great shot stopper abysmal distribution we’re a on the floor side and he’s just hoofing it all the time

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

Really really worrying from us. Tactically not working again in defence or attack and it has subsequently led to the worst body language and mentality we've had since our last relegation. I'm really quite shocked how quickly that has happened this season. They stopped running at 2-0. We haven't conceded 3 away goals to a side outside of the top sides since our return to the Premier League.

Players still off the pace. Some of the blame for that has to go on dipshit Charnley who knew in May we needed a new manager and didn't appoint one until 3 and a half weeks before the season.

Smith said when he came in in November after Bruce the players aren’t fit he was right Bruce is a knacker 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Ugly performance from us at times. We didn't keep the ball well. Hopefully Lucas Digne is fine for the next game. Three points is three points, defence have started the season very well with two clean sheets. Not bad for short armed basket case Pickford and flop who's not cut out for this level Mina.

Situation on Digne? Info needed for FPL purposes... 

6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Three knock on effect of this mistake is that the defenders won't trust the keeper and if they do go back to him teams are going to be right on top of him. Sooner Alisson is back the better

Agreed. Such terrible luck to lose Allison almost straight after we let go of migs.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

Today's a sign really of how much Liverpool have progressed. In previous years in those circumstances they'd have probably lost today. Winning's a habit.

Yes, also a sign of similar form at this stage last year where we weren't all that convincing and yet got the points on the board. 

This is the time of the year where concentration blips are more likely so any week where we can take maximum points and City do not could be crucial to that latter part of the season, assuming we can stay within touching distance over the months ahead which is by no means a guarantee.

I'm a bit concerned we still played so much of our front 3 after the taxing midweek match. Only origi got some extra minutes... It really feels like we only have one player outside of our first 11 that Klopp is prepared to use in our attack.

• Subscriber

Didn't think we were particularly good yesterday but job done and Mane is going to prove to be the star of the first half of the season for me. He is on form and is definitely our most important attack person out of the three right now. Hopefully the break now allows the team to recuperate. 

12 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Smith said when he came in in November after Bruce the players aren’t fit he was right Bruce is a knacker 

Our fitness coach left with Rafa and wasn't replaced. Charnley said the gym is well equipped :4_joy:

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

Our fitness coach left with Rafa and wasn't replaced. Charnley said the gym is well equipped :4_joy:

Keep laughing mate you would cry otherwise, it’s apparent very quickly that this league has moved on from the likes of Steve Bruce. 

“We gotta roll up our sleeves” and “dust ourselves down” and “give our all” just doesn’t cut it in the modern game. 

If you put a gun to his head and said talk me through “gengenpressing” he would reply “I don’t eat foreign muck” 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Keep laughing mate you would cry otherwise, it’s apparent very quickly that this league has moved on from the likes of Steve Bruce. 

“We gotta roll up our sleeves” and “dust ourselves down” and “give our all” just doesn’t cut it in the modern game. 

If you put a gun to his head and said talk me through “gengenpressing” he would reply “I don’t eat foreign muck” 

I agree. The likes of Bruce, Hughes, Pardew and Allardyce are footballing dinosaurs. They've stayed still. They're just luxury Sunday league managers with little tactical nous

12 hours ago, Harry said:

Agreed. Such terrible luck to lose Allison almost straight after we let go of migs.

I actually think it's remarkably good luck that we didn't lose Alisson until after we sold Mignolet

I'm not too worried about Adrian's mistake. Like Alisson against Leicester last year, it's hopefully one that had to happen so he learns from it and it doesn't happen again. Provided he does that, it's no harm no foul

18 hours ago, Dan said:

Today's a sign really of how much Liverpool have progressed. In previous years in those circumstances they'd have probably lost today. Winning's a habit.

I'm not sure about this, to be honest. Had we shut up shop and killed the game, I'd be with you 100%, but Southampton definitely had the chances to get something from it after their goal. Yesterday felt like an escape to me, but you get those at this point in the season

19 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Only the very elite goalkeepers and some of the ones in the next tier down can pass the ball around effectively at the moment. In another few years you might find that more of the average/backup calibre of goalkeepers because it has become commonplace in senior football in recent years, but right now it's very difficult to find a goalkeeper who is of the level where he is happy to play second fiddle whilst also being good enough to play the ball out well.

That said, you shouldn't need to be that good at passing the ball around to avoid a mistake like that one from Adrian.

Plenty of keepers in the Championship can play it out from the back, Dan Bentley who we just sold to Bristol City for example is as good as anyone in this division at doing it and he’d probably be good enough to do it in the Prem. I don’t think it’s as hard as people think goalkeepers just need to be trained to do it

Could have had more as well. Krafth and Schar particularly poor at the back.

The only hope for Joelinton who had a stinker is that some players we know are good had stinkers as well.

Bruce now has to ditch this formation and we need to go back to Rafa's approach. Though that likely won't work either without Rondon.

3 hours ago, Batard said:

I agree. The likes of Bruce, Hughes, Pardew and Allardyce are footballing dinosaurs. They've stayed still. They're just luxury Sunday league managers with little tactical nous

That's very harsh on Sam Allardyce. His knowledge around sports science is impeccable. Hes been ahead of the trend in regards of technological advances since 2001 too.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

That's very harsh on Sam Allardyce. His knowledge around sports science is impeccable. Hes been ahead of the trend in regards of technological advances since 2001 too.

I actually disagree. I don't feel he truly applied sports science correctly, he was a long ball merchant interested in exploiting weaknesses in the opposition. He was interested in sports psychology

GET THE FUCK IN

Most points collected out of the newly promoted sides. There were stages in the game where the quality difference was clear to see, but maybe for only around 20 minutes, aside from that; I thought we were extremely organised. One criticism would be our forward line, although we have plenty of options to change that up, McBurnie looked great coming on.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived