talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Timo Werner - Chelsea Complete Deal

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1230254080565616640

.@TimoWerner: – Liverpool are the best team in the world at the moment, and when you're linked with that team, it makes me very proud.

(@JanAageFjortoft)

Embedded video

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Timo Werner - Set to Sign For Chelsea
5 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Thats a good pickup for Chelsea. He had something in his new contract around a €50m release clause if I remember right.

It's a €55 million release clause which apparently expires on the 15th of June.

Heavily linked with Liverpool prior to this and now a bit of a U turn

Was reading that one of the reasons was that Liverpool didn't feel they could sanction the cost due to Covid taking it's toll on their finances and he had already stated that he would be just as happy playing for us as he would Liverpool only he was a big fan of Klopp so it would have been his preferred destination if possible... 

Given our recent lack of transfer activity it seems getting a few quality players on board is not going to be an issue for us financially.... 

Seriously though, Liverpool shouldn’t spend on attacking players right now. If they did, it should be on a player that can left, right, and centre for coverage, not a centre forward that should be a starter but regardless they are stacked. Maybe a new CB? Shoukd have grabbed de Vrij when he left Lazio. Imagine de Vrij and can Dijk, eeesh

Good signing for Chelsea, they are essembling a really good young side. 

I would have liked Werner from a fantasy football point of view but the reality is.. we were never going to pay the transfer fee plus £180k a week wages Chelsea are paying for a rotation option, however much he wanted to sign for us. We just couldn't offer him the game time that Chelsea can.

Still, disappointed that Chelsea get a player that I predict will come in the top 5 highest goalscorers next season. 

Well done Chelsea.

Werner shouldn’t be looked at as a rotation option. He has scored 20+ goals in the league the last 2/3 seasons. Him up front with bobby just behind linking the midfield and attack. Shame it won’t happen. He will score a load of goals for Chelsea. 

53 minutes ago, Rick said:

Werner shouldn’t be looked at as a rotation option. He has scored 20+ goals in the league the last 2/3 seasons. Him up front with bobby just behind linking the midfield and attack. Shame it won’t happen. He will score a load of goals for Chelsea. 

That’s not really how Klopp likes to set up though.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That’s not really how Klopp likes to set up though.

Well, I’d assume Klopp had somewhere to put Werner. That’s just the place that makes most sense to me. 

35 minutes ago, Rick said:

Well, I’d assume Klopp had somewhere to put Werner. That’s just the place that makes most sense to me. 

My take is that Klopp and Edwards sat down and weighed up the pros and cons of signing a player that would a) cost alot b) want to become one of our highest earners and c) would cause a change in formation to fit him in... and come to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth it.

Everyone knows that if we really wanted Werner he would be signed and sealed by now. 

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

'we didn't want him anyway' like clockwork, every time xD

No doubt Klopp wanted him, discussions had taken place between him and Werner. Facts are though that it was just too expensive a deal to complete for a player that wasn't really needed (needed as in he would'nt solve a gaping weakness in the first team).

Great signing for Chelsea though who needed him more than we did. 

Here is a good take on it.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/timo-werner-truth-not-hide-18366478

It also doesn't help with how things are currently considering we are in the middle of merging our training facilities at Kirkby and expanding the stadium. Maybe we just couldn't afford that kind of layout on a transfer until things become clearer? 

Leipzig's formation and style seems to suit him, with Werner not quite being a central number 9 type it would seem he would maybe get in the way when he drifts wide at Chelsea with their setup?

Timing was definitely on our side. 

2 minutes ago, DNA said:

Leipzig's formation and style seems to suit him, with Werner not quite being a central number 9 type it would seem he would maybe get in the way when he drifts wide at Chelsea with their setup?

He’d be a wide left striker. Similar at Leipzig. 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Timing was definitely on our side. 

He’d be a wide left striker. Similar at Leipzig. 

How would that change the formation... or do you think this is an expensive rotation option?

There was no secret Liverpool was the destination of his choosing, however with Liverpool obviously not being interested to pay 60 mill euros for a back for Firmino. If this does happen i will be pleased, we will have so much options and depth with Ziyech who is also a brand new signing. With the return of Pulisic and Ruben i will cream my pants. Lampard will have a huge task on his hands to fill in the attacking midfield and striker positions and keep everyone happy.

Still it is an excellent problem to have.

• The title was changed to Timo Werner - Chelsea Complete Deal

Archived