talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Timo Werner - Chelsea Complete Deal

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

The thing is mate, you lot will probably sign a replacement for Chilwell who is just as good or better. Your recruitment policy has been pretty decent in recent years. How much is Pereira worth now? Great bit of business last summer.

I'm not overly sold on Chilwell to be honest with you as well. We need a left-back, everyone knows my opinion on Alonso but I wouldn't be against having him as back up as he does have the odd big performance and moment in him. You couldn't rely on him consistently though. Emerson for me showed a lot of promise towards the end of Sarri's season where he was getting some good game time. He seems to be too injury prone though and looking at his performances overall he's been a bit of a mixed bag.

If Chilwell came in, he would have to do a lot to convince me that he's someone we could rely on consistently and of the fact that he could be a player that would sort us in that position for the foreseeable future. He has proved he is a good player at Leicester but I'm still not fully convinced.  Above all, however, there's the fact that he would cost a significant amount of money even at 40m when there probably will be teams in the league or elsewhere who pick up someone for nearly half the price and they turn out to be a gem.

The bit in bold is effectively why I would sell because I think he's another, like Maguire, who is good but fits a particular set of criteria (aka, being English) that will force a club to pay more than his footballing ability is really worth.

I said all of last summer I would sell Maguire - felt Soyuncu would be a risk but I'd been fairly impressed by him in the games I'd seen so was prepared to see him given a go, and to be honest, he's been a lot better for us than Maguire was. Maguire is better in the air but Soyuncu's better at pretty much everything else in my opinion. I didn't think he'd be this good.

Chilwell has at times looked like he's the real deal, but has spent far too big a percentage of his time in the first team out of form for us to not take the kind of figures being touted. He struggled for a long time in 2017/18 when he was playing, looked very good in 2018/19 and was probably the most improved player (eventually breaking into the England side) but this season he's been nearer the 2017/18 struggle and I think while his engine is a big part of the way we play, he's not the only full back that can offer that nowadays, and I feel like there are better, cheaper left backs out there who won't be so prone to having a shocker, or so lacking in the basics at times.

Chilwell is a very bizarre player. He's obviously quite good, but I've never seen a player who is quite good be so prone to dropping a 2/10.

I don't think he's a top class full back. I think he's overhyped because he's English and think Saka would be unlucky to not get in the England team ahead of him right now.

James Justin who we bought last summer can play either side. I'm not going to go and claim he's better than Chilwell but I'm not going to rule it out either. I've not seen enough to be convinced he'd be a good enough replacement but for about £6mil he's certainly another good buy from us. I'm quite excited by him but he's not really played much.

Our stance is right, ask for a silly fee and hope you cave in. Use the money to buy another left back and a quality wide man.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red Bull Leipzig chief Oliver Mintzlaff has denied a deal has been struck over Timo Werner’s transfer to Chelsea. Reports have claimed Werner’s £53m release clause had been triggered by Frank Lampard’s side and he was on his way to Stamford Bridge.

Liverpool had been the favourites to land him, with Manchester United also in the hunt for his signature, but Chelsea are thought to be in pole position. However, Leipzig insist there is no ‘formal agreement’ that will see him move to Chelsea. ‘We haven’t had an exchange yet,’ managing director Mintzlaff told Sky Sports Deutschland . ‘Accordingly, we have nothing to report. Timo Werner is a player for RB Leipzig. He signalled a few weeks ago that he was busy with a transfer. Until now nothing is done.

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Apparently Klopp decided to go against signing Werner because AFCON might not go ahead - so Mane & Salah would still be around - and he couldn't guarantee first-team regular football. Then Chelsea swooped in and obviously could give Werner what he wanted.

Klopp has confirmed that not signing Werner was due to finincial uncertainty (in a nutshell). Quotes above. 

United have never been in for Werner. Liverpool obviously passed up on him, and he’s guaranteed first team football and to be a big fish at Chelsea. Probably more on the wage front as well. I’ve no doubt he’d be a Liverpool player if they actually wanted him.

• Administrator

Chelsea, in particular Granovskaia, get a lot of shit for their transfer dealings ("Players aren't good enough", "Not prepared to spend money on big players") but fair fucking play to her. The policy of signing younger players and flogging established or past their prime players for a premium is not only sensible but bloody obvious. Ziyech and Werner will make a massive difference. Their real issues are management and board room level, if they can stick with Frank,. decide what's happening with the sale of the club now Abramovich is blacklisted in the UK it could be an interesting time for Chelsea. 

4 hours ago, Batard said:

Chelsea, in particular Granovskaia, get a lot of shit for their transfer dealings ("Players aren't good enough", "Not prepared to spend money on big players") but fair fucking play to her. The policy of signing younger players and flogging established or past their prime players for a premium is not only sensible but bloody obvious. Ziyech and Werner will make a massive difference. Their real issues are management and board room level, if they can stick with Frank,. decide what's happening with the sale of the club now Abramovich is blacklisted in the UK it could be an interesting time for Chelsea. 

Issue is she's been the face of all our transfer dealings since Emenalo left. Many, including myself, were confused of her role and involvement. 

Scott Mclaughlin was the one reported to have taken over scouting since Emenalo left. So in all fairness all of the stick Marina got should be towards him. 

@Stan @Dan

Yeah, ultimately boils down to the fact that for me, there's probably a left-back out there that can be snapped up for half the price who is even better than Chilwell. Overall, from what I've seen from him, I don't particularly rate him that highly either, particularly considering some of the price tags mentioned.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

@Stan @Dan

Yeah, ultimately boils down to the fact that for me, there's probably a left-back out there that can be snapped up for half the price who is even better than Chilwell. Overall, from what I've seen from him, I don't particularly rate him that highly either, particularly considering some of the price tags mentioned.

Don't get me wrong he's not rubbish - like I think some of our fans are a bit OTT about Maguire at times, Maguire is still obviously quite good, he just isn't, and won't ever be worth the kind of outlay he cost.

If I'm Chelsea I'm snapping Alex Telles straight up. £15mil apparently and should plug the gap for I think two years at the absolute minimum, far cheaper and probably better right now than Chilwell is, more end product, less tendency to have a shocker. I think Chilwell's a pretty good fit for us in the fact he's got a brilliant engine and we play very attacking full backs, but I just feel like he's replaceable, like Maguire was.

If we lose Ndidi or Ricardo then we have a different problem. They're the two (well Vardy too but he's going nowhere) that I think are irreplaceable for us and are genuinely in the top 5 in their position in the world.

• Subscriber

That's a chance blown for you. I wanted us to go for him but to be honest I think at that price he's a no brainer for bar better resourced clubs than us so we had no chance. I likewise think Grimaldo will probably eventually move to a better side than us - maybe even Man City.

We have been linked with Robin Gosens from Atalanta.

It is strange with Chilwell. I think our fans are a bit too hard at times with him but at the same time he is genuinely dog shit at times and it happens too often. I think our fans who think he'll ever be Ricardo's level are wrong, personally.

I have and will probably continue to slag Alonso off but where he does deserve some credit is the fact that's he's a bit of a clutch player. It's a myth for me that's he's good offensively but what he does have is a big moment in him. Scoring goals doesn't make a player offensively decent for me, particularly when you look at and compare Alonso with some of the attributes the best-attacking full-backs around have at the moment. Alonso is similar to Ivanovic was, he's a clutch player who will be very decisive in and around the box if given the opportunity. I think that asset alone is worth making use of at a squad level role at least. The problem is when you start relying on Alonso consistently throughout the season. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

I have and will probably continue to slag Alonso off but where he does deserve some credit is the fact that's he's a bit of a clutch player. It's a myth for me that's he's good offensively but what he does have is a big moment in him. Scoring goals doesn't make a player offensively decent for me, particularly when you look at and compare Alonso with some of the attributes the best-attacking full-backs around have at the moment. Alonso is similar to Ivanovic was, he's a clutch player who will be very decisive in and around the box if given the opportunity. I think that asset alone is worth making use of at a squad level role at least. The problem is when you start relying on Alonso consistently throughout the season. 

I can't say the same for Chilwell, sadly. I think Chilwell probably has a better all-round game but is kind of the opposite, he's prone to a howler whereas Alonso can win you a game. 

That said I think if you want the best of Chilwell then see below, he was absolutely unreal on this night although granted, the whole team were, but he really was one of the best;

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Sorry but Chilwell isn't that good. If anything, Leicester could probably find a better left back and replace him.

No need to apologise :D 

On 06/06/2020 at 21:28, Bluewolf said:

Red Bull Leipzig chief Oliver Mintzlaff has denied a deal has been struck over Timo Werner’s transfer to Chelsea. Reports have claimed Werner’s £53m release clause had been triggered by Frank Lampard’s side and he was on his way to Stamford Bridge.

Liverpool had been the favourites to land him, with Manchester United also in the hunt for his signature, but Chelsea are thought to be in pole position. However, Leipzig insist there is no ‘formal agreement’ that will see him move to Chelsea. ‘We haven’t had an exchange yet,’ managing director Mintzlaff told Sky Sports Deutschland . ‘Accordingly, we have nothing to report. Timo Werner is a player for RB Leipzig. He signalled a few weeks ago that he was busy with a transfer. Until now nothing is done.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/timo-werner-chelsea-transfer-latest-rb-leipzig-oliver-mintzlaff-a4461846.html

Yes, several papers have reported this, but lets not kid ourselves, it's highly likely that Werner will join Chelsea. The only reason why the clause hasn't been triggered so far, is because the Premier League transfer window hasn't opened yet. The transfer window opens in a couple of days time on the 10th of June. You can expect Chelsea to then trigger the clause sometime between the 10th of June to the 15th of June(The date when his clause expires). ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Timo Werner - Chelsea Complete Deal

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Chelsea haven't always had the best of luck with strikers in the past.

Drogba, Anelka and Costa were successes but they also had a lot of dross. Mutu, Kezman, Lukaku, Shevchenko, Torres, Batshayui, Morata come to mind.

I've no doubt Werner can get goals if provided chances, I mean his conversion rate should be higher than Abraham's, but from watching Chelsea this season, it's creating them which I feel is the deeper issue. 

I like the Ziyech signing mind.

9 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Chelsea haven't always had the best of luck with strikers in the past.

Drogba, Anelka and Costa were successes but they also had a lot of dross. Mutu, Kezman, Lukaku, Shevchenko, Torres, Batshayui, Morata come to mind

This is my worry as well.... We don't tend to have any consistency with them, When we do find good ones they are really good like Drogba/JFH for example the rest of the time we are a bit hit and miss in that regard... Some are saying he might struggle a bit over here but give him time to settle in and hoping he will come good for us.. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

This is my worry as well.... We don't tend to have any consistency with them, When we do find good ones they are really good like Drogba/JFH for example the rest of the time we are a bit hit and miss in that regard... Some are saying he might struggle a bit over here but give him time to settle in and hoping he will come good for us.. 

I think with your style of play I can't see him struggling too much. With creativity from Ziyech, Pulisic and Mount just behind him, plus other players, it seemed to be this season that creating wasn't the problem, more the finishing?

Archived