talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Timo Werner - Chelsea Complete Deal

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

He'd be on the bench all the time, wouldn't he?

We have to compete with City right? We need better off the bench than Origi and Shaqiri if we intend to match them in depth - and I say this as someone who likes Origi and Shaqiri

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Timo Werner - Liverpool Look to RB Leipzig Striker
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Well god damn. Thought Liverpool would be Havertz as a replacement for Firmino 

Maybe Havertz was too expensive for them.

How much would Werner be?

• Subscriber

Its rumored that Klopp has 200m to spend in the summer so even if they went in for Havertz then you have to wonder how much that leaves for him to spend on other replacements. Lallana might be out the door but the returns there will be small and then you've got the Shaqiri perm move to Roma which might generate another 30m if a deal is struck. They'd definitely want to create some kind of back-fill for defensive positions as well once the midfield is sorted. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Get with the times. 

100 million for arguably the best young midfielder on the planet that’s tailor made for Klopps system. 

The times are bollocks and the rest of the footballing world should fight back against what you oil clubs have done to football, rather than just let the market keep getting fucked up.

For £100+ million he’d need to instantly slot in and perform, otherwise its a bit of a waste. But every Bundesliga signing I can think of that we’ve made in recent times has needed to take a while to settle into the league (granted, Brendan Rodgers is an idiot who thought Firmino was a left winger).

It’s already mental enough our next choice is a striker that’s around £50m.

The transfer market is absolutely insane. Fuck PSG for doing this with Neymar

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

The times are bollocks and the rest of the footballing world should fight back against what you oil clubs have done to football, rather than just let the market keep getting fucked up.

For £100+ million he’d need to instantly slot in and perform, otherwise its a bit of a waste. But every Bundesliga signing I can think of that we’ve made in recent times has needed to take a while to settle into the league (granted, Brendan Rodgers is an idiot who thought Firmino was a left winger).

It’s already mental enough our next choice is a striker that’s around £50m.

The transfer market is absolutely insane. Fuck PSG for doing this with Neymar

Just because you think it’s bollocks doesn’t mean if Liverpool don’t follow suit, they won’t get left behind. 

You spent the most for a CB and GK at one point. Doesn’t mean you won’t do it again. 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Just because you think it’s bollocks doesn’t mean if Liverpool don’t follow suit, they won’t get left behind. 

You spent the most for a CB and GK at one point. Doesn’t mean you won’t do it again. 

We did that when those were 2 obvious problem areas. I don’t think we have obvious problem areas in attack.

If anything I think we’d need to spend big on a good winger considering that next season we won’t have Mane or Salah for up to 6 weeks. That seems like our most obvious problem.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We did that when those were 2 obvious problem areas. I don’t think we have obvious problem areas in attack.

If anything I think we’d need to spend big on a good winger considering that next season we won’t have Mane or Salah for up to 6 weeks. That seems like our most obvious problem.

Something tells me we should have looked into Haaland when he was available but at that price I think the board might have thought its better to go with someone else and there in comes Klopp's micro-love for Werner who I wanted with us almost two years ago when he was in the news for a transfer. 

Agree with @Cicero the market is never going to go back to what it was and 100m+ is the going rate for someone special. I don't see it going down anytime soon either because its happened more than once and with the valuation clubs are putting on their players its just the way things will go.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Something tells me we should have looked into Haaland when he was available but at that price I think the board might have thought its better to go with someone else and there in comes Klopp's micro-love for Werner who I wanted with us almost two years ago when he was in the news for a transfer. 

Agree with @Cicero the market is never going to go back to what it was and 100m+ is the going rate for someone special. I don't see it going down anytime soon either because its happened more than once and with the valuation clubs are putting on their players its just the way things will go.

Tbf Werner looks like a forward that'd thrive in our current squad - just drop Firmino deeper into a #10 role and do a double pivot with Fabinho + Hendo/Gini and you've got something like our 4-2-3-1 last season... but with Firmino instead of Shaqiri and with Salah, Mane and Werner getting threaded in by him.

I do think we need a bit more firepower up front for next season, especially when we're without Salah/Mane... because we'll be without Salah and Mane.

The one player I'd be okay with us paying a ridiculous amount for is Mbappe. But I think that's just a pipe dream and he's eventually on his way to Real Madrid.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf Werner looks like a forward that'd thrive in our current squad - just drop Firmino deeper into a #10 role and do a double pivot with Fabinho + Hendo/Gini and you've got something like our 4-2-3-1 last season... but with Firmino instead of Shaqiri and with Salah, Mane and Werner getting threaded in by him.

I do think we need a bit more firepower up front for next season, especially when we're without Salah/Mane... because we'll be without Salah and Mane.

The one player I'd be okay with us paying a ridiculous amount for is Mbappe. But I think that's just a pipe dream and he's eventually on his way to Real Madrid.

I think Werner is, as you said, the kind of player that would actually work well in our squad just because of the way he operates up front. He's not a real box-type striker and moves around a lot just like our front three do. Regressing Firmino may be something they would do but then you have to ask yourself how he'd operate back there and I don't know why but I think he works best up front being the one to hold the ball and run into little spaces affording time for the rest of the players the opportunity to start overloading the final third for more options. Still, this is Klopp and I doubt he'd make the request to go after Timo if he didn't have a plan to use him. 

Mino is also around and while it was a cheap investment he did show some promise in the cup game he played in. I think we'll see more of him next season with some cameos this season to get him sorted and I honestly think he's the one Klopp wants to play in the position you just talked about with relation to Firmino. 

22 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think Werner is, as you said, the kind of player that would actually work well in our squad just because of the way he operates up front. He's not a real box-type striker and moves around a lot just like our front three do. Regressing Firmino may be something they would do but then you have to ask yourself how he'd operate back there and I don't know why but I think he works best up front being the one to hold the ball and run into little spaces affording time for the rest of the players the opportunity to start overloading the final third for more options. Still, this is Klopp and I doubt he'd make the request to go after Timo if he didn't have a plan to use him. 

Mino is also around and while it was a cheap investment he did show some promise in the cup game he played in. I think we'll see more of him next season with some cameos this season to get him sorted and I honestly think he's the one Klopp wants to play in the position you just talked about with relation to Firmino. 

I think Minamino's ultimately going to replace Shaqiri in our squad - but get more time on the pitch that Shaqiri does (although he's been pretty unlucky with injuries since joining us).

• The title was changed to Timo Werner - Chelsea Complete Deal

Archived