talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Timo Werner - Chelsea Complete Deal

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think with your style of play I can't see him struggling too much. With creativity from Ziyech, Pulisic and Mount just behind him, plus other players, it seemed to be this season that creating wasn't the problem, more the finishing?

Creation of chances is not our problem, It's bloody taking them when they arise.. Getting someone to hit the back of the net is what we need and I don't care if they go in off their arses or elbows as long as they go in... xD

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well fucking finally i'd say, hats off to Marina i had my doubt and i was a critic. She got Timo for 49 mill while offloading Morata for 50+ which is a huge improvement in my opinion. She also managed to get Ziyech for a "small" price considering his quality and the insane prices in modern football. Also i seems that these signings are actually wanted by Lampard which is obviously the right move. If the season started we would be settled, think that a new left back is now the priority since we are pretty limited with Emerson and Alonso and it our weak link. We did have problems with strikers before but i hope Timo lives to his name.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Creation of chances is not our problem, It's bloody taking them when they arise.. Getting someone to hit the back of the net is what we need and I don't care if they go in off their arses or elbows as long as they go in... xD

I know. That's what I said xD. Werner is a better finisher than Abraham so can't see there being too many issues as Werner suits your style of play.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Chelsea haven't always had the best of luck with strikers in the past.

Drogba, Anelka and Costa were successes but they also had a lot of dross. Mutu, Kezman, Lukaku, Shevchenko, Torres, Batshayui, Morata come to mind.

I've no doubt Werner can get goals if provided chances, I mean his conversion rate should be higher than Abraham's, but from watching Chelsea this season, it's creating them which I feel is the deeper issue. 

I like the Ziyech signing mind.

We've actually improved under Lampard than Sarri in chance creation. It's converting them that's the issue. Hence why Lampard wanted another goal scorer in the XI. 

51 minutes ago, Stan said:

I know. That's what I said xD. Werner is a better finisher than Abraham so can't see there being too many issues as Werner suits your style of play.

xD

I see what happened there... My response was in relation to what @Lucas was saying about chance creation but for some reason I quoted you instead... 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

We've actually improved under Lampard than Sarri in chance creation. It's converting them that's the issue. Hence why Lampard wanted another goal scorer in the XI. 

In that case, I stand corrected if you and @Bluewolf feel the same.

I've seen a fair bit of Chelsea this season and my work colleague is a season ticket holder in the shed. Sometimes, I won't lie, it's been hard work watching you.

His biggest gripe is how Chelsea sometimes piss about with it outside the box, rather than have a shot, or try to do too much which correlates to the times I've seen you play and run out of ideas. Felt like the forwards were fed scraps.

I guess it depends when you are playing a team that sits in where you've been found out a few times, to times when teams have a go at you and allow you space to counter.

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Chelsea haven't always had the best of luck with strikers in the past.

Drogba, Anelka and Costa were successes but they also had a lot of dross. Mutu, Kezman, Lukaku, Shevchenko, Torres, Batshayui, Morata come to mind.

I've no doubt Werner can get goals if provided chances, I mean his conversion rate should be higher than Abraham's, but from watching Chelsea this season, it's creating them which I feel is the deeper issue. 

I like the Ziyech signing mind.

Lukaku unfortunately wasn't given a chance, Torres gets a pass because of the trophies he won with the club, and Morata was half decent but not for his price-point. But yeah, it has been stressful watching a Chelsea striker the last decade.

14 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Werner is the ideal player for Chelsea, because he is usually an excellent finisher. His pace and style of play should suit him in the Premier League. Chelsea have done well to buy him, I am sure he will be a success. 

Chelsea have given him a huge contract, making him the highest paid player at Chelsea as he will be paid £170,000 a week at the club. Werner has done well by securing such a contract and I am sure that he will be a hit in London.

• 1 year later...

I said throughout last season that I would wait until at least a full year to give a better verdict on our new signings.

Werner although frustrating with his finishing and use of the ball at times, I'm a big fan. He was ridiculed and laughed at a lot last season but ended up being one of the biggest reasons why we won the Champions League with his performances and what he offers off the ball. Do I think he's our out-and-out striker and the answer to all our striking problems? No, but he's a very useful asset and one I hope that will get even better next season.

Also has become a fans' favourite. 

Archived