talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Vintage and Classic Football Shirts

football forum

"Terrace Fashion" (yes it's a thing) is very much one of the big movements in the fashion industry at the moment. Believe it or not, for the past two seasons all the big fashion houses have been using football inspired designs and lines within their catwalk shows from Milan, to Tokyo, to New York, to Paris, London, to Barcelona... To all of the major events.

But I'm not going to go down the route of placing the street clothing versions of Gucci, Versace, Chanel, Balenciaga etc... Or the high street fashion houses like Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Gant, J-Crew, Hackett, Uniqlo, GAP, Replay, Levi's etc... on here. 

I'm going down the route that due to this, it's now become fashionable again to wear a football shirt as a casual item of clothing providing the shirt isn't ostentatious or too linear. Latest football shirts like the Nigeria national team shirt, the latest Barcelona yellow away shirt, the new Arsenal home shirt by Adidas or the PSG home shirt are being seen in berr gardens on any given weekend and it has nothing to do with any game that could be being shown on a projector screen. It's simply something to wear with your jeans, chinos or shorts if you happen to live in a country where summer lasts throughout, well, the summer months.

Another route that many are using, myself included, is that due to "terrace fashion", the clothing industry have been clever enough to capitalise on this by studying old classic shirts and replicating them with more modern cuts in either oversize skateboard movement styles or your more linear slim-fits, but always keeping true to the original design of the day. Yes it's true that you've always been able to acquire classic football shirts but they were always made in template cuts and not too much thought was put into the, other than to replicate the colours and how it was originally worn. Now it's more in tune with being an item of clothing you CAN actually wear and it looks cool to wear the shirt of a club you don't support but that has an iconic resemblance to it.

This is open to everyone's input in whatever manner they like and I'll be posting stuff that I've either purchased or have seen around with people wearing them or out there on the public scene as a smart, but yet casual way to go out with your mates the same way a rugby shirt looks great!

For example I purchased the 1985/1986 SSC Napoli shirt from the Maradona years. It looks smart due to the blue tone, it's made from 100% lightweight cotton so it can be worn comfortably on a warm day out and the cut carries through with whatever way I want to dress.

ct_0009_napol_1987_88_retrofootball.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That new United gold shirt is aimed at hipsters rather than blokes called Dave who wear it to go down the pub. 

I’ve seen a few football publications, the likes of that Mundial Mag, having proper photoshoots of early-twenties males and females wearing stuff like Chelsea’s 94/95 away shirt and the like. It’s gone a bit bonkers really. 

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

That new United gold shirt is aimed at hipsters rather than blokes called Dave who wear it to go down the pub. 

I’ve seen a few football publications, the likes of that Mundial Mag, having proper photoshoots of early-twenties males and females wearing stuff like Chelsea’s 94/95 away shirt and the like. It’s gone a bit bonkers really. 

Infact that Chelsea shirt you've just quoted I saw a couple of young Italians (two seperate occasions) wearing it in Rome while having a coffee in a piazza. I also spotted a rather rich American in Capri wearing a 70s Atlético Madrid replica while he got out of his Ferrari.

This is an example of fashion streetwear being used by the fashion industry. Vogue Magazine used this pocture inspired by the Nigeria national team shirt and latest stuff for their article on how "Terrace Fashion" is a viral thing worldwide.

footballfashion-19-7.jpg

Or these shirts which have made other fashion magazines in the summer months with replica tops to wear from yesteryear...

retro-shirt-img-3.jpg

retro-shirt-top2.jpg

c2d008b9df96c62358dadf61c4fd0d3e.jpg

copa_aztecs_football_shirt3.jpg

cruyffclassics_ca1400191420_camisetahola

Just now, Batard said:

Mic drop

marseille-92-home_3_1_2_3_2_1_1_2_1_2.jpg

That's a beauty! I remember that shirt welland to be honest Olympique have had many many amazing iconic shirts one could wear out.

There's also that Breton Striped France national team shirt that was once commissioned that was brilliant.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

That's a beauty! I remember that shirt welland to be honest Olympique have had many many amazing iconic shirts one could wear out.

There's also that Breton Striped France national team shirt that was once commissioned that was brilliant.

You can buy the 91/92 strip on ASOS, Adidas relaunched it. An original production will cost you hundreds. Such is the demand. 

Archived