talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jan Siewert Sacked By Huddersfield

football forum

• Administrator

No time wasted from Huddersfield. One win in 7 months. First 2 games this season against fairly decent sides. Sold their most creative player on loan. What chance did Siewert have? 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Win percentage of 5.3%. I’ve had beers stronger than that. 

The announcement is poorly timed for me. You just don’t think to sack a manager after three games of a season. The board have obviously had their doubts about him, and rightly so, for a while, so I just don’t get why they’d give him a whole summer to change the team before sacking him after three games. It would have made more sense to sack him in May, replace him and start fresh then. 

7 hours ago, Dan said:

I actually think they're a dark horse for the drop.

Agreed at the moment. I see a lot of comparisons between them and Sunderland when we went down. Sacking him now and probably getting Hughton should steady them

3 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Those first few games after the drop are the hardest. You've got to find your confidence again and build momentum. It's rare to just turn up and smash it from the off.

Exactly. Changing a mentality and what’s essentially become habit doesn’t happen instantaneously. 

• Administrator

Something has gone down at the club. They didn't thank Jan for his time or efforts in their statement, it's so matter of fact that it makes me think he really annoyed someone or they're annoyed with themselves

Siewert's Huddersfield were always going to struggle in the EPL last season. But sacking Siewert just 3 games into the Championship season is very premature in my opinion. Huddersfield played 3 of the better quality Championship sides in those 3 games, namely, Derby County(Always near the top of the Championship final standings), Fulham(probably the favorites to win the Championship) and QPR( a team with some good players who have been underachieving recently). 

They drew once and lost twice, but given the opposition, those results weren't that surprising. I think that Huddersfield were harsh to sack him so early in the season. They should of given him at least 8, 9 or 10 league matches to prove himself in the Championship division. Anyway, Siewert is a very young manager and he will have learnt a lot from his time as manager at Huddersfield. I am sure that he might return to management soon, perhaps in the German Bundesliga 2. Who knows, maybe in 20 years time from now, he could be managing a big club in a major league, he has a very long career in football ahead of him. His task as Huddersfield manager was always going to be difficult, it would of been difficult for almost every other manager out there, let alone a young buck manager like Siewert.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, cb_96 said:

Was at the game tonight and v Derby, losing Mooy was huge like. Not much plan going forward, 1 win in 19 scary! Hughton favourite, would be sensible

Be nice to see Hughton back but they just may go for Sol Campbell, he did well at Macclesfield in his first stint as a manager and kept them up.

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Be nice to see Hughton back but they just may go for Sol Campbell, he did well at Macclesfield in his first stint as a manager and kept them up.

There’s absolutely no way a man whose won eight games out of thirty managed at the bottom of League Two will jump up to manage a recently relegated side from the Premier League. 

• Subscriber

I do think Campbell's reputation as a big name ex player may propel him to a level above where you'd expect someone with his managerial CV to end up but Hughton is a safer bet. Hughton I think could probably steer them to a top half finish. Siewert I think was taking them down - three home defeats out of three already is awful and a sign they've just picked up where they left off.

Siewert was clearly a bit out of his depth.

• 2 weeks later...

Hudders next managerial appointment will massively impact on their immediate future.  Get it right and they can pull things around as stabilise once more in the Championship.  Get it wrong and they could go straight through for a second consecutive relegation.  Lovely stadium, great supporters but forget any ideas of sexy football.  The Terrors need hard graft and application and lots of it.  How thy get results is secondary, just get some points on the board.  Oh, and they Ned to invest in a striker who actually know how to score goals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.115d2527d58ac26cfb9f526afe4079d2.png

Nigel Adkins: Huddersfield Town offer the managerial position to former Hull City boss

Huddersfield Town has offered former Southampton and Hull City boss Nigel Adkins their managerial vacancy.

BBC Radio Leeds understands personal terms are yet to be agreed with the 54-year-old.

Town has been without a boss since sacking Jan Siewert just four games into the season.

The Terriers, relegated from the Premier League last season, are without a win this campaign and sit second from bottom in the Championship.

Adkins has been out of the game since leaving Hull at the end of 2018-19.

His first match in charge of the club could be the Yorkshire derby at home to Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday, 15 September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49595241

From managing in the Essex Senior Football League to the Championship, it's been a meteoric rise for Cowley.

In his time at Lincoln, he won the National League, EFL Trophy and League Two whilst also taking them to the FA Cup Quarter Finals. All in just over three years.

Certainly looks a better candidate to appoint than most.

• Subscriber

It will be interesting to see how the Cowley brothers do. They have certainly quietened a lot of Grimsby fans with their success with our Lincolnshire friends. Still can't stand either of them but think they could do a good job.

I feel like its a bad move for Cowley. Much like Jones leaving Luton for Stoke.

Very hard to replicate something somewhere else when you've built a great foundation elsewhere for a substantial period of time.

That said, he deserves a chance toprove himself at a higher level. Hopefully Lincoln don't capitulate now after all that great work to get where they are.

• Subscriber

Cowley won't get given the time he needs to do a job like he did at Lincoln. They will expect instant results and won't wait long for them. 

I can see Lincoln doing alright for a little while but then a new manager will come in and do things differently. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I said a few years ago I thought Cowley would manage in the premier League one day. This is the another step towards that. Hard to say how well he will do at a higher level but I think he could potentially even be a future England manager one day 

Archived