talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

@LFCMadLad what say you of the decisions that VAR got right this weekend?

• Watford vs Burnley - Barnes fouled in the box, missed by the ref. Play continues until there's a stoppage. Incident looked at. Decision correctly overturned and penalty to Burnley given.
  • Palace vs Liverpool - Tomkins goal. VAR check shows Ayew pushes Lovren. Goal correctly disallowed due to a foul/infringement in the build-up to the goal.
  • Brighton vs Leicester - Vardy penalty missed. Maddison heads in. VAR check for encroachment shows Maddison was just inside the box and therefore header is disallowed. Correct decision for penalty to be retaken.

Well that's absolutely fantastic. They got some right then? That's its job!

What about those they clearly got wrong, even with help from technology?

Edited by LFCMadLad

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@LFCMadLad the rules are the rules. The rules clearly state only your arm and hands can be offside.  Every single referee I have heard has said it is the right decision. I regard their opinion higher than yours. As for the 3 yards offside I haven't seen it. Will have to see it before I say anything on it.

Only your arm and hands can be offside? Last I heard it was only a part of the body you can score with? You cant score with your hand or arm can you?

Sterling wasn't offside. Not one single part of his body was offside. How do you explain that?

Wolves had a goal ruled out for offside. Wait till you see it. The bloke was onside by about 3 yards. 

It's a fucking joke mate. Totally ruining football as we knew it. 

Edited by LFCMadLad

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Only your arm and hands can be offside? Last I heard it was only a part of the body you can score with? You cant score with your hand or arm can you?

Sterling wasn't offside. Not one single part of his body was offside. How do you explain that?

Wolves had a goal ruled out for offside. Wait till you see it. The bloke was onside by about 3 yards. 

You're taking the wrong part of the move in to account. It was Jimenez who was called offside, not Jota. Jimenez was not onside by 3 yards and if anything it just looked really tight. 

25 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well that's absolutely fantastic. They got some right then? That's its job!

What about those they clearly got wrong, even with help from technology?

Obviously it's shit that they got some wrong? I'm not saying otherwise. But all you seem to do is moan about the wrong decisions as if VAR never gets anything right. 

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

You're taking the wrong part of the move in to account. It was Jimenez who was called offside, not Jota. Jimenez was not onside by 3 yards and if anything it just looked really tight. 

Obviously it's shit that they got some wrong? I'm not saying otherwise. But all you seem to do is moan about the wrong decisions as if VAR never gets anything right. 

So what then, should I do a fan dance whenever they get something right? It's the job of VAR to get things right ffs xD i dont give my boss a big clap when he gets my wages right! But I'd fucking moan if he got them wrong!

How can they possibly be getting decions wrong with the help of technology? its an absolute joke, even the biggest VAR fanboys can see that.

Edited by LFCMadLad

On 24/11/2019 at 10:25, Harry said:

3 years of the current status quo would totally reshape peoples perceptions of what is a fair and reasonable decision though mate.

I swing around on this topic but as the season wears on my patience has faded. It's a contact sport and I think if you slow it down and watch replays you'll find 100 little bits of Argy Bargy between players and in getting the impression that VAR will only result in a further increase in hypersensitivity that was already pretty bad with study calls etc.

At the moment I would prefer it to be scrapped for the rest of the season and send some people back to the drawing board to work on how it can better reflect common sense decisions. 

Absolutely! As you say, they can rewind any footage and find something that was wrong..... like an ant farting that put a player off. "Oh an ant farted so let's take 10 minutes to bring play back"

Just go back to how football was before all this VAR bollocks.

Edited by LFCMadLad

21 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

The rules say arms and hands. They don't say only a part of your body you can score with. It's a misconception that seems to be popular. I get your frustrations with var mate. I would never want football to be ruined.  But these armpit offsides are right. Every referee I have heard has said that. Maybe it is pedantic, but it is the rules.

I do agree with you on a lot of things. Var as it is isn't working well, it is spoiling the game. But I'm going to access it in a few years. I never expected it to work as good as it can in the first season.

21 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

So what then, should I do a fan dance whenever they get something right? It's the job of VAR to get things right ffs xD

C’mon though mate. You can’t have meltdown every time it doesn’t work, but completely disregard it when it does. That’s just having your cake and eating it.

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

C’mon though mate. You can’t have meltdown every time it doesn’t work, but completely disregard it when it does. That’s just having your cake and eating it.

Nah not wearing that mate. VAR is supposed to get things right. Simple decisions like the Sterling offside should be gotten right. I mean, it's not even like it's the odd isolated incident. They are consistently getting decisions wrong. 

I've said it a million times, I much preferred football how it was before all this shit.

6 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

It’s hard not to slate the fuck out of VAR with each wrong decision. It’s technology that was supposed to make less controversy with refereeing decisions and bring some consistency to refereeing - it’s failed pretty miserably just a few months in.

To be honest though, I’m not surprised at all. Aside from the officials being total dogshit in this country, Mike Riley is in charge of all of the officials in this country. To me that’s absolutely astounding that one of the most controversial referees of all time gets to oversee all referees and was in charge of VAR’s implementation in England.

Step one to improving VAR is sacking Mike Riley.

The controversy is 

5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Nah not wearing that mate. VAR is supposed to get things right. Simple decisions like the Sterling offside should be gotten right. I mean, it's not even like it's the odd isolated incident. They are consistently getting decisions wrong. 

I've said it a million times, I much preferred football how it was before all this shit.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s hard not to slate the fuck out of VAR with each wrong decision. It’s technology that was supposed to make less controversy with refereeing decisions and bring some consistency to refereeing - it’s failed pretty miserably just a few months in.

To be honest though, I’m not surprised at all. Aside from the officials being total dogshit in this country, Mike Riley is in charge of all of the officials in this country. To me that’s absolutely astounding that one of the most controversial referees of all time gets to oversee all referees and was in charge of VAR’s implementation in England.

Step one to improving VAR is sacking Mike Riley.

The controversy is being created by the humans. Not the machines. Get the right set of rules and implementation in place and you’re onto a winner. You can’t fuck something off after 6 months due to teething issues. 

5 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

The controversy is 

The controversy is being created by the humans. Not the machines. Get the right set of rules and implementation in place and you’re onto a winner. You can’t fuck something off after 6 months due to teething issues. 

I think you can when the implementation has been piss poor and the humans you’re entrusting the machines to are incompetent 

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

The controversy is 

6 months xD They've been working on bringing in VAR for years mate. 

Teething issues xD It's an absolute farce mate.

20 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

It been implemented in this country for 6 months with our refs. Irrefutable fact.  

If you think VAR in this country was only thought about and implemented 6 months ago then I dont know what else to say?

It's been researched for years mate and still royally fucked it up. Perfectly good goals being ruled out for offside, failing to overturn blatant mistakes made by on field referees, taking an age to make sure perfectly good goals are legitimate... the list goes on. It's a joke.

Surely you dont think VAR has improved football as a spectacle?

Edited by LFCMadLad
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

If you think VAR in this country was only thought about and implemented 6 months ago then I dont know what else to say?

It's been researched for years mate and still royally fucked it up. Perfectly good goals being ruled out for offside, failing to overturn blatant mistakes made by on field referees, taking an age to make sure perfectly good goals are legitimate... the list goes on. It's a joke.

Surely you dont think VAR has improved football as a spectacle?

Anything can be thought about, but until it’s implemented, you can’t exactly foresee all the issues. Again, I’m not going to fuck something off after 6 months without giving it proper time to adapt. Not sure about ‘I don’t know what else to say’ means either. If you can show me where VAR was used in the Premier League last year, I’m all ears.

4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’ve yet to see a single player not celebrate a goal and wait emotionless for a VAR check. Yet apparently all these goals are being tainted.....

Like it or not mate, not everyone is a VAR fanboy. It's quite literally ruining it for some people. When a goal is scored theres a cheer, then theres a pause, then there's a cheer again... or a moan because a perfectly good goal has been ruled out. 

Match going fans like @Dan and @Storts have said numerous times that its killing the euphoric moment when a goal is scored because in the back of their mind they know it could be ruled out. 

Nobody can tell me that VAR has improved the game because it just hasn't. 

Nobody has said everybody must be a ‘fanboy’. I’ve got mates that are season ticket holders at United, City, Liverpool and Brighton. Not one of them has told me that goal celebrations have changed. I go NFL games most years at Wembley. Not once have I not celebrated a touchdown because I was too busy worrying it would be overturned by an official after reviewing the play. Saying fans don’t celebrate goals, or celebrate differently or goals are tainted is just absolute bollocks. In my opinion. And that’s just it. My opinion. 

34 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Nobody has said everybody must be a ‘fanboy’. I’ve got mates that are season ticket holders at United, City, Liverpool and Brighton. Not one of them has told me that goal celebrations have changed. I go NFL games most years at Wembley. Not once have I not celebrated a touchdown because I was too busy worrying it would be overturned by an official after reviewing the play. Saying fans don’t celebrate goals, or celebrate differently or goals are tainted is just absolute bollocks. In my opinion. And that’s just it. My opinion. 

There's loads who would disagree with that, including myself. Fans definitely celebrate goals differently

40 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

It's not bollocks because actual match going fans are saying it. It's also not the same whilst watching on TV because in the back of your mind, you're always wondering if the goal will be ruled out because someone's armpit hair poked a player in the eye. 

Look, you might like VAR, you might think it improves the game of football. God knows why because I think its damaging it no end. It's all anyone talks about which cant be a good thing surely? 

Football was better before VAR, i dont think that's even up for dispute.

With the fine margins that managers are being sacked VAR is the way forward. It's unfortunately just being implemented poorly in this country. Why is the ref not allowed to go to the touch line? Why do the people reviewing the incidents not know the rules? Why is everything being reviewed and not clear and obvious errors?

Once these get addressed it will be fine. It's worked well overseas and in the world cup. It can work well here.

I'd suggest that over two thirds of the people that complain about VAR are the type of fans that moan about change. I was at the London Stadium when it took forever to review the Jordan Ayew goal, was I bothered? Nope because I knew they would come to the right decision. I was more annoyed after the Liverpool and Arsenal games when I saw decisions that hadn't been reviewed which really should have been.

• Upvote 3

• The title was changed to VAR in the Premier League